• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016
    Hey everyone,

I've launched another Composers Challenge, given that my last one was a long time ago.

Here is the clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5564m_0la0

The clip that I have is from an award-winning video game called Dear Esther. Basically, Dear Esther is a game where you explore this uninhabited island, listening to the narration read out letters to his wife. You learn that the narrator lost his wife (Esther) in a car crash and he's trying to figure out why. The narrator maintains that the driver of the other car in the crash (Paul) was drunk when the accident occurred. But we do not know precisely what happened in the crash because the narrator freely admits to forgetting or mixing up various events and when they occur. You also get the sense that Esther's death has left a huge void in the narrator's life and he is mentally broken by it.

Other notes:
    1) The writing on the side of the cliff recalls the Apostle Paul's journey to Damascus which is found in the Biblical Book of Acts, which adds to the theme of this clip.
    2) References to the other characters such as the hermit, Jakobson, and Donnelly. The hermit was a legend of a person who came to the island to achieve some type of solace. Jakobson was the first non-legendary person to visit the island, he was a shepard who came to the island with the goal building a property to secure him a wife and children (it did not work and he died 2 years later). Donnelly was a writer who explored the island and wrote about its history, he later died of syphilis.
    3) It is not clear if the island is an actual place or the island is in the mind of the narrator.

I believe that this is a good clip for a composers challenge because we have both dialogue and sound effects in one scene without the music (it is hard to find a scene where the music can be removed). There are many ways to interpret the clip musically (for example; the mystery/suspense of the climb because we do not know where we are going, the dramatic moment of how the narrator's story changes, and the final lasting monologue).

The contest runs from today (Feb 27th) to April 30th. I feel that giving two months to write five minutes of music is more than reasonable. After April 30th, voting on the various entries will start.

The prize for winning the contest will be announced at a later date.

Thank you for your attention and I hope everyone has fun.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Composers Challenge IX - 'Dear Esther'

This challenge was set by Kevin Smith and ran from the end of February to the end of April, 2016. After discussing with Kevin, I have collected all entries and created a playlist on YouTube.

For the Playlist on YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/EffVklLA0EQ?list=PLShj … gd4krY2rvD

Please have a listen; and please share you thoughts! The composers would love to read your comments and ratings.

We'll collate any reviews or comments that come on a new dedicated site: www.thecomposerschallenge.wordpress.com.

Like, heart, follow or do whatever suits you to stay up to date with the lastest news and gossip about recent and future Composers Challenges. In due course we'll also formally reveal the names of the participants.

I might add that, whilst various participants had already posted and publicised their entries (or even embedded their credits in the video), hence I have re-uploaded the videos without any additional information. You might think 'what's the point when there are on-screen credits', but some people did ask to remain anonymous and I tried to respect that as best as possible.

Thank you to all participants for taking part; and to everyone else for listening!

'till next time...
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  2. I think there's an error; I don't hear any music on Entry 09. IF this is some kind of silly John Cage thing, I am not amused after watching it eight time previously.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Thanks for pointing that out Justin. It was a very strange anomaly... somehow the audio disappeared after upload/convert.

Anyway, it's fixed now. Enjoy.

Thanks for listening!! smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. FYI... we have a 10th entry.
  5. So who decides the winner, and when is it announced? A couple of these far outpaced the others, IMO.
  6. There was one entry, #4, that was okay, I was kind of enjoying it, then out of nowhere -- it didn't really fit at all -- it pulled this rather enjoyable 1980's Horner Klingon/Commando thing, even with old synths like snapping fingers. Put a smile on my face.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    xhallenfe.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    xhallenfe.

And that's why you're Thor.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    christopher wrote
    So who decides the winner, and when is it announced? A couple of these far outpaced the others, IMO.

The composers get to rank each other's work (but not their own obviously).

The winner will be announced in a week.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.