• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I didn't think Belgium was bad so much as inefficient/inconsistent (and Italy were doing what they do best, which is defend the shit out of everything). Poor Eden Hazard was really trying his best but the options just weren't there, De Bruyne and Lukaku in particular were both pretty dreadful. The Belgian side struck me at the 2014 World Cup and still does strike me as a collection of extremely talented individuals who haven't yet really congealed as a team - and they won't win anything until/unless they do.

Still, I don't think Ireland or Sweden will pose Belgium the same problems that Italy did and I have no doubt they'll advance, so maybe they'll manage to pull together. Don't give up hope yet! smile

oh we will definitely go further in this group. But as you say, they are all talented players, probably the best selection we had since the 80's. But as a team it seems they can't bring the same quality that they usually bring with their clubs.

And there's where the coach plays a vital part in. Understandably, this coach is now being attacked from all sides. Hope for his sake it will change for the better eventually.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016 edited
    Geezes. The first half of Austria-Hungary was one of the biggest borefests I've seen in a while. The level of quality was so bad, it was almost 4th division Norwegian football. It opened up a bit after the Austrian red card and the Hungarian goal, but still.

I must say I'm not that fond of the way football has developped in the last 10-15 years. The tempo and intensity are so high, it barely leaves room for players and actual gameplay. 90% of the matches are like flipperball games, where a ball is immediately taken by the other team, then gives it away to the opponent and then back and forth it goes.

Here's hoping Iceland-Portugal in an hour is more interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016
    Uh oh, The Mountain has issued a serious threat...

Christiano Ronaldo to have head crushed if he scores against Iceland
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    A few little known facts about Belgium

- We have more politicians than the rest of the Euro zone combined
    - Our french fries are actually from Belgium
    - We produce the most foul smelling vegetable in the world (Brussels sprouts)
    - We have more beer flavors than terrorists living in that shithole Trump was talking about
    - We have the worst highway traffic jams in the entire world
    - Our justice system is a joke, doing its best to keep criminals on the street
    - Our railroad company strikes about once a month
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016
    The Belgian side seems to have developed the unwelcome knack of being far less than the sum of its parts - something I'm very used to seeing with England. Some international teams seem to have players who find that extra little bit when they play for their country, others seem to go the other way. It's pretty sad being in the second group...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well done to Iceland for defending themselves like viking madmen against the superior team Portugal, thus "winning" a draw.

But I must say, I'm not a big fan of teams who defend themselves to death. I want them to be punished for their defensive attitude. For me, football is all about offense, offense, offense. Great, direct passes, artistic solutions and technical details -- then I'm won over.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Geezes. The first half of Austria-Hungary was one of the biggest borefests I've seen in a while. The level of quality was so bad, it was almost 4th division Norwegian football. It opened up a bit after the Austrian red card and the Hungarian goal, but still.

I must say I'm not that fond of the way football has developped in the last 10-15 years. The tempo and intensity are so high, it barely leaves room for players and actual gameplay. 90% of the matches are like flipperball games, where a ball is immediately taken by the other team, then gives it away to the opponent and then back and forth it goes.

Agreed, probably the dullest, lowest-quality game in the cup so far. I can't imagine either side had a successful pass rate above 65% or so.

But I'm quite happy that Hungary managed to pull out the win in the end, Austria were really quite shocking considering the quality of some of their players. Although if Alaba's shot in the first 30 seconds had gone in instead of off the post, it would have been a different game I think. Hungary weren't great but given what a bunch of nobodies they are, they held their own quite admirably. They even had some nice combos and counters in the second half, especially their first goal.

And I can't believe they've still got Gabor Kiraly in goal! I remember him and his grey sweatpants from back when he played at Hertha Berlin in 2003-2004 - I saw him in stadium when I was about 10 or 11! I had totally forgotten about him, assumed he retired years ago - but nope, there he was at the proud age of 40 and he had a solid match, too. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016
    Yeah, not many active, top level football players still around that are older than me, but he is. He still has a way to go untill he passes Peter Shilton, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    A few little known facts about Belgium

- We have more politicians than the rest of the Euro zone combined
    - Our french fries are actually from Belgium
    - We produce the most foul smelling vegetable in the world (Brussels sprouts)
    - We have more beer flavors than terrorists living in that shithole Trump was talking about
    - We have the worst highway traffic jams in the entire world
    - Our justice system is a joke, doing its best to keep criminals on the street
    - Our railroad company strikes about once a month

all true smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. True or not, all of that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Don't know why I brought it up. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016 edited
    Once again, a team manages to defend itself to death (Slovakia) -- and by death here, I mean the death of offensive, entertaining football. But nothing to criticize in terms of attitude and willpower, and Russia wasn't terribly impressive either. So in that respect, I guess the Slovakian win was deserved.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yeah, not a very interesting game I thought, with Russia quite possibly the worst performance of any team in the tournament so far that I've seen. At least Hamsik's goal (Slovakia's second) was quite a nice thing to behold though. smile

I'm still waiting for a game to really light up the tournament the way the Netherlands-Spain 5:1 did at the last World Cup...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016 edited
    Agreed.

I must say I cheered when France FINALLY scored on Albania yesterday (and then even got an extra bonus goal after that). It may sound strange to root for the overdog as opposed to the underdog, but I've grown so weary of defensive teams where all 11 men form a wall around the 16m, and then it's a matter of penetrating that over the course of a match. Just because a team has inferior skills doesn't mean they can't think offensive. Remember Cameroon in the WC back in the 90s? At least they played with their 'heart', not their brain and only for results.

Today is the big British Battle -- England vs. Wales! Does Ryan Giggs still play? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016
    I thought Albania did try to attack when they could - it wasn't really like the way Northern Ireland played against Poland, say, where they didn't even try. France were clearly so far technically superior but they really took their time to find a way through and I still don't think they're as good as everyone else seems to.
  6. France has not really convinced me either. As Thor says, they've been essentially running up against walls so far, but a slightly better and more adaptable team like Switzerland (not to mention the bigger threats down the road) could pose them some serious trouble. Of course, they're basically through to the round of 16 by now so that match isn't very important to them (other than to see who gets first or second), but it will be to the Swiss. Should be a better test of just how stable that French side is.

Very excited for England v Wales (nope, no Giggs anymore, sadly, but I think Gareth Bale eclipses even him) and Germany v Poland (why is it we always end up in groups with Poland? Third time since 2006!). Less so Ukraine v Northern Ireland I guess. Nearly the entire UK is playing today (sorry, Alan)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I thought Albania did try to attack when they could - it wasn't really like the way Northern Ireland played against Poland, say, where they didn't even try. France were clearly so far technically superior but they really took their time to find a way through and I still don't think they're as good as everyone else seems to.

They're certainly not as good as they were in their glory years (mid 90s to mid 2000s), but they're still excellent and one of my favourite national teams. There was a big difference between the first and second half, though. In the first half, it seemed like they didn't even want anything; they just chugged along with rather low tempo. The second half was better (Duchamps probably gave them a one-over in the locker room), even if they screwed up a ton of chances.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Phew! Deserved win for England, but that was a very close thing.

Dreadfully dull match for the most part, though, especially the first half. I went into it supporting Wales but they played so inertly (take Bale off the pitch other than the 30 seconds it took for him to take the free kick and nobody would notice) that my loyalties switched shortly after the Welsh goal (oh, English goalkeeping... face-palm-mt ).

England weren't much better but at least they were trying to, you know, do stuff. Given their quality I'm not sure why they consistently struggle so much at tournaments, but the team is still in a bit of a transitional phase from Generation Rooney-Gerrard-Lampard to Generation Vardy-Sterling-Sturridge and they're all quite young, so while I have my doubts about how far they'll go this year, I'm expecting to see great things from England in 2018. They do need a leadership figure a la Gerrard, though, and I'm not sure who will emerge to fill that role (I don't think it's Rooney, really).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm also very relieved that England won.

Will we see ANY match this year that isn't just one team banging their heads against an 11-man wall practically INSIDE the goalposts?

So yeah, just as with France yesterday, I'm relieved the most offensive and "playing" team took it home in the end, even if I agree England's play was rarely impressive (an insane amount of faulty passes and horrible shot attempts).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Will we see ANY match this year that isn't just one team banging their heads against an 11-man wall practically INSIDE the goalposts?

Yes - once we reach the knockout stages and the matchups are a bit more even. Honestly, put yourself in the coach's shoes: as Iceland playing against Portugal, defense is the only viable tactic (otherwise you'd open yourself up to counterattacks and even a Ronaldo in his 30s is damned hard to catch). Wales has less of an excuse with players as talented as Bale and Aaron Ramsey, though.

It's been far from the most entertaining tournament so far. Not one team has put in what I'd call a really good display of football yet - not one. slant
  9. Disappointed that Wales lost the match against England. The result means that I shall be avoiding the pundit analysis for today's remaining games as, regardless of what match is being played, most of the talk will be about England.

I am not a big football fan, but I can't understand why Hodgson didn't start with the team with the subs. It was obviously the team line-up that was required to win. It's like Hodgson can't analyse what's required for a game before the game begins.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. I'm disappointed too, but in Wales' performance moreso than the fact that they lost. With that effort, anything other than a loss would have been grossly undeserved.

Not sure I'd be so harsh on Hodgson, though; it was quite bold to acknowledge what wasn't working in the first half and use two subs so early on to correct that, and it paid off. I mean, Andre Schürrle was one of Germany's best at the world cup two years ago and he didn't start a single match. I kept expecting Löw to start him after he kept coming off the bench and revitalizing the team (and since neither Özil or Götze were playing consistently well). But since he was so effective as a joker (and we did win the damn thing in the end wink ), perhaps it was all for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

It's becoming really frustrating. Is this the consequence of UEFA increasing the size of the tournament so it's almost as hard to not qualify for it as it is to get through? On the other hand, if they hadn't done that then a team like Northern Ireland wouldn't be there, and I really enjoyed their win.

As for England - very relieving they finally found a way through against an extremely poor Wales side with no ambition whatsoever, benefiting for the second game running from a terrible goalkeeping error which made Gareth Bale look good. Given that in theory he's been by far the best player on the pitch in both games, I'd have thought he should be fairly embarrassed by his performances so far. England were obviously far better when all the attackers came on, but it would be dangerous to start a game with three strikers up front and another one in midfield against anyone any good.

I hope Edmund's right and the tournament opens up a bit once the group stages are over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And of course, now the same thing is happening -- again! -- with Poland being the 'wall' and Germany trying to break it down. There's a Berlin wall joke in there somewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. It's well hidden. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pretty poor performance from Germany. That wasn't really like the other "attack vs defence" games because Germany were generally so unthreatening, and the best chances all fell to Poland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I sorta agree, but there's only so much you can do when a team puts all the players at the 16m line and jumps into each tackle as if it's world war 3 (there were constantly 3-4 Polish players around the German players and/or ball). No team in the world can really crack that. But yeah -- Germany was unimpressive throughout large parts of this match, especially the first half.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. At least our defense is solid. shame

The overarching theme at this Euro so far seems to be a lack of inspiration. There's the teams that play pure defense, sure, but even those teams that dominate the game and go on the offense like Belgium, France, Germany, England...nobody seems to have any ideas or creativity or ingenuity. It's all just pass, pass, pass, pass around the back until someone gets frustrated and either hits a long ball or takes an inevitably poor/blocked shot from distance. Germany's most creative players - Özil, Götze, Müller - have all been very weak and ineffective so far. sad
  13. Well I suppose it was too much to expect an Italy game to liven up the Euro. sleep

Games like this are exactly why I hate the entire Italian football philosophy - defend, defend, defend until the other team is exhausted, score in the final 10 minutes and then take the ball to the corner flag for the rest of the game. But they do it very cleverly, damn them (it did win them the world cup a decade ago), and Sweden's offensive efforts were frankly so pitiful that I don't even mind too much.

I have to say, if I had never watched much football and this was the first tournament I saw, I don't think I'd become a fan. slant Part of the problem in my eyes is the new 24-team structure of the tournament, which makes wins less necessary to advance. Everybody is playing it safe because they know that you could theoretically draw three times and still make it on. sad
  14. Finally, a few games worth watching. Belgium got their shit together in the second half vs. Ireland and the Portugal-Austria game was quite open and entertaining despite being goalless. Some players simply can't seem to find their club form when playing for their country, and Cristiano Ronaldo is practically the poster child for that at this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Only those that take things way too personally would be offended by Demetris' post.

I understand what he's saying though. The only thing that soccer is about these days is huge amounts of money and violence.

Idiot fanatics beating the shit out of each other on streets while big fat bosses cash in and laugh on top.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.