• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017 edited
    It's the mentality of the producers. You all know today that if matrix came out in 2017, it would have bass drone shit with electronics and tension building one-note riffs by reinhold heil johnny klimek tom tykwer. no?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Indeed, historically speaking it's a difficult argument to make. While you could argue that there was precedent for the Goldenthal approach, especially the more tonal dramatic one (+ John Corigliano), what Davis did in the Matrix was quite singular, MAYBE except the John Adams influence which permeated film scores largely in the form of Mark Isham (actually, yes, he names Adams as one of his biggest influences). I'm not mentioning Williams' AI as this came right after Matrix.

So Davis was a singular voice (now he's getting back with some projects) at the time and still is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Demetris wrote
    It's the mentality of the producers. You all know today that if matrix came out in 2017, it would have bass drone shit with electronics and tension building one-note riffs by reinhold heil johnny klimek tom tykwer. no?

Well, Joel Silver was one of the crazy guys in the industry at the time, but he rather let the music be in his film. With the notable exception of The Last Boy Scout, where he forced Kamen on Tony Scott. I'd imagine Tony didn't think of Kamen. (And Kamen himself did the film just out of courtesy as he hated it).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles - Basil Poledouris

Who the hell even knew this existed?
    A short running time and garishly attractive cover were chief attractions - other than it being Basil who could never do wrong.
    The melodic opening and closing cues are distinctly his. Most of what separates them isn't though it's all fleetingly listenable and there's a very catchy motif in some of the later cues.
  3. Demetris wrote

I mean, not if it was still directed by the Wachowskis.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I mean, not if it was still directed by the Wachowskis.

The thing is, The Wachowski's have changed since 1999.

Literally. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    DreamTheater wrote

The thing is, The Wachowski's have changed since 1999.

Literally. shocked

biggrin You win the board for the day.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017
    NP - ReCore

Great score. Fun rock-music/orchestra atmosphere, with a really beautiful opening cue. Some of the action music seems a little generic at times, but this is a really enjoyable score.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2017
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Edward Shearmur

With Sky Captain getting so much attention, I put this on, having not heard it in years. It's really beautiful, great themes, savage action music.
  5. Aidabaida wrote
    NP - ReCore

Great score. Fun rock-music/orchestra atmosphere, with a really beautiful opening cue. Some of the action music seems a little generic at times, but this is a really enjoyable score.

Good score. Too much samey-sounding action though, you're absolutely right. I don't like it quite as much as Seiter's Star Trek game score from 2013, which is downright Goldsmithian in spots.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Lives of Others - Gabriel Yared & Stephane Moucha

Mostly dark and slow but completely immersive. Perhaps nothin tops the opening 'The Invisible Front' and 'Stasi Informant "Martha"' with that mesmerising, see-sawing motif laying the foundation for what are brilliant suspense cues.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

Old school sci-fi adventure from a master. Stands up very well. The main theme isn't particularly hummable but its incredibly durable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    NP - ReCore

Good score. Too much samey-sounding action though, you're absolutely right. I don't like it quite as much as Seiter's Star Trek game score from 2013, which is downright Goldsmithian in spots.

thanks for the reccomendation, I'll check it out!
  6. David OC wrote
    Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

Old school sci-fi adventure from a master. Stands up very well. The main theme isn't particularly hummable but its incredibly durable.

That opening fanfare ( punk ) was enough to get my attention and hold it for its running time. Great Bernstein (and I don't have many that I find enjoyable).

Too sad the release still is being blocked due to legal issues.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Aidabaida wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Aidabaida wrote
    NP - ReCore

thanks for the reccomendation, I'll check it out!

Yeah I recommend it as well. Seiter used Giacchino's Star Trek theme to great effect. Especially as an action motif.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah I recommend it as well. Seiter used Giacchino's Star Trek theme to great effect. Especially as an action motif.

Where is it available?
  8. Aidabaida wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Where is it available?

I'll beam something up to your location. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    HELLRAISER (30TH ANNIVERSARY) - Christopher Young

This is such an awesome work, and the new remix and remaster is an enormous improvement. It really sounds better than ever before, with great new artwork from Mondo. Brilliant release which really makes you hope they'll do the same for HELLRAISER II anytime soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    One of the few horror scores I enjoy listening to, that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2017 edited
    NP: QUE D'AMOUR (Philippe Jakko)

Gorgeous mix of Delerue-ian bittersweetness and baroque pastiche.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote

This, Bless the Child and The Omen trilogy, those are the top purely horror scores if you ask me.
  9. BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

This, Bless the Child and The Omen trilogy, those are the top purely horror scores if you ask me.

Don't forget about Jerry's Alien. Masterfully creepy and unique score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    True, but I didn't list it because I haven't enjoyed it as much as a listening experience in a single sitting.

Oh, Poltergeist, that's one I'm forgetting. And probably Michael Kamen and Orbital's Event Horizon, but that's at least a step below the others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017
    NP: FLOWERS OF WAR (Qigang Chen)

If the film is even half as beautiful as this score, it's a marvel.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Gorgeous score! I've never seen the film either. I understand it's quite harrowing.

I'll be listening to film music nonstop for the next 6 hours while I drive to LA to see John Williams tonight. I can't decide if I should listen to all Williams all the way there, or if I should save it for the concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Personally, I would save it and listen to John Williams all the way back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Personally, I would save it and listen to John Williams all the way back.

Yeah, what he said. I saw Williams in LA in 2012, and made sure not to over-expose myself to him before the actual event. Of course, the actual event itself was somewhat hampered by me having lost my cell phone at the hotel and my camera at a restaurant (they were thankfully both retrieved later on).

Enjoy, Christopher! I'm totally envious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, yes, enjoy! Seeing Williams conduct is truly a sight to behold! I was lucky enough to see it in Chicago a few years back from the second row up front and it was the best concert experience I've ever had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2017 edited
    My best (as in 'the best concert experience of my life') was JW in Boston in 2014. I was right there next to the podium. To the side, unfortunately, but still just 2 meters away. Which definitely beat the 1 km away at the Hollywood Bowl. Alas, I think that might also have been the last time I've seen him live. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Taped recordings from when Simon Bates hosted Classic FM's movie music show (up to James Horner's The Four Feathers presently).