• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    We are talking major Hollywood here most of it is laughable ,bad, forgettable and money grabbing crap, good film making lies in the few Hollywood exceptions and Indies . LION made me cry .

So I think that means 10% is crap, 90% is great. You need to filter it, because there's made more than ever, but the amount of great stuff is the same.

And proper film making is with TV , stranger things , house of cards, so many amazing things happening .

TV is better than ever, but there's also a lot of crap in TV. Every year there's maybe 3 seasons of a I consider great. Game of Thrones, The Knick, Westworld, Deadwood, The Night Of, those are the shows I consider really good. The rest is severely overrated, if you ask me. Currently watching Stranger Things - it's good and fun, but it's certainly not great if you'd ask me. It's hyped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017
    The ten we are discussing aren't great . They just standout from the shit smile maybe one or two max are great each year . Max. In a good year .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Man out of the hundreds of films that make it onto cinemas each year we are discussing ten max ? Its so funny!

I appreciate your exhaustion of modern films. Remakes and reboots have been ridiculous for years now. But 10 great films? That's... well, great! Does that mean you can make a top 20, a top 30, for much older years? For the most part, I can't even think of 10 movies per year post-2000. Can you? What era do you think was best for films?

I think from around 1970 to 2000+ max. Right before the shitty CGI and everyone is a super hero crappy era started .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Man out of the hundreds of films that make it onto cinemas each year we are discussing ten max ? Its so funny!

I appreciate your exhaustion of modern films. Remakes and reboots have been ridiculous for years now. But 10 great films? That's... well, great! Does that mean you can make a top 20, a top 30, for much older years? For the most part, I can't even think of 10 movies per year post-2000. Can you? What era do you think was best for films?

I think from around 1970 to 2000+ max. Right before the shitty CGI and everyone is a super hero crappy era started .

biggrin

Fair enough. I think I have Stockholm Syndrome with comic book films now....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you go to the cinemas and see the new trailers each week which I am sure many do, most of them are stupid painful to watch. There is one film every month or two that stands out and that doesn't mean is necessarily great .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't bother sticking around for the post-credits scenes anymore. I just. Don't. Care.
  1. Steven wrote
    I'm not sure I'd use Wonder Woman as an example to counter D's CGI point. It's an okay film, but it's filled with crappy CGI. But yes, Planet of the Apes. CGI done right.

I'd use Wonder Woman as an example of a compelling film made in the franchise model. I would agree that the third act dumbs it down completely, because it goes into generic superhero material, but the first two acts, the No Man's Land sequence, the fact that they went for World War I just because it's not as well featured in mainstream cinema, is very good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I stay for the post-credits.

I love superhero films.

I'm an idiot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

1970s for me. And I have to say there was a moment when mainstream Hollywood went into that social commentary direction again. But the blockbuster formula, sadly, took over again.
  3. Steven wrote
    I don't bother sticking around for the post-credits scenes anymore. I just. Don't. Care.

Shame. The one at the end of Homecoming was pretty hilarious biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Plus meaningless reboots and remakes all the time , that nobody needs.

That's true. I'm sick of that aspect of Hollywood, for sure. Planet of the Apes gets a pass since it's better than the original.

Is it really better than the original? I saw it in a theater when it first came out and I'm was quite impressed.
    listen to more classical music!
  4. This is not a remake of the 1968 classic, Tom. The 2001 film was though.

This new trilogy of ape films ...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
    War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

... is telling a prequel story to what happens in the 1968/2001 films. dog <- No ape emoticon. sad

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The fact that we are having this very interesting discussion under this little crappy movie is very intriguing to me! smile
  5. Would it not have made more sense to call the first film "Dawn" and the second "Rise"? What's the difference anyway?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True. Loved those films btw, absolutely loved them. Some very sensible use of cgi, but above all true storytelling, excellent characters and plot. Film-making in the proper sense of the world.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Would it not have made more sense to call the first film "Dawn" and the second "Rise"? What's the difference anyway?

Rise - how the apes got to be who they are later and the beginning of the end of humanity
    Dawn - how the apes evolve and what happens when they get in touch with the remnants of humanity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Also, the war happens in Dawn, whereas in War, there's hardly a war to speak of dizzy
  7. Demetris wrote
    True. Loved those films btw, absolutely loved them. Some very sensible use of cgi, but above all true storytelling, excellent characters and plot. Film-making in the proper sense of the world.

Painfully proper. In a good way. It's filmmaking that remembers the poignancy of the simplest techniques. Reeves' awareness of the contrast between static and moving camera, between wide and close shots. The fact that the film is not scared to stop, that it doesn't just blast you with intensity all the time. That it takes time to discuss its theme, not just state it, discuss. That it's as anti Michael Bay as possible. And that something that is actually quite deep philosophically and psychologically is not just a mere blockbuster, but actually a franchise that was rebooted is just amazing.

Loved, loved, loved it. And the score in the film just cemented how much I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Now do you see that you agree (I think) with my statements before? about the new films? the majority of the Hollywood big productions? they are the direct opposite of the apes trilogy. Full of cheap cheesy cgi (even modern video games, the big productions, look better than the average Hollywood cgi summer flick these days) meaningless plots, inexistent character development, storylines that you forget the instant the end credits roll, the stupid bassy drone scores, everything with them is sooo wrong + a shitload of shitty remakes, reboots, prequels and sequels and spinoffs nobody needs. The apes trilogy is the direct opposite. It's proper film making and this is why they also had proper film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    the majority of the Hollywood big productions?

There's confusement here. You're talking about only the big Hollywood blockbusters, whereas those that point out film isn't getting worse, keep talking about films outside of that limited portion of films.

Man, I'd love to draw a Venn diagram on this, but the forum doesn't allow images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am talking most major summer flicks, almost all the super hero dc marvel flicks, the stuff we get all the time which is high budget and in scifi, action, fantasy or adventure territory, it's mostly in this category. The opposite of proper film making. The opposite of apes trilogy. I am not confused at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Not saying YOU are consused, but you're all "talking past each other" (dutch expression? does it work in English?). You're all talking about different things.

That segment of expensive popcorn blockbusters, it's always been the category of the shittiest films, but they are getting shittier alright. But it's such a tiny, insignificant amount when seen in the entire spectrum of films that are produced each year. It's such a silly thing to judge the whole state of film based on just that portion of films. I'm ignoring that big studio output and enjoying massive amounts of quality films each year. More than enough to enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But big studio output is a lot of the portion of films being made today. And poor spinoffs, remakes or useless reboots sequels and prequels are to be found everywhere in big Hollywood productions these days, not just summer action cgi films. Poor storyline and bad filmmaking, underdeveloped characters and generally unnecessary movies that have nothing to tell you ultimately, are a big part of Hollywood these days. As I said, thank God for indies. There's some pure gold in there, from both the us and also the rest of the world. And of course, tv.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And animation too. A genre that begun in 3d with the best aspects (Pixar, gold!) and now is filled with useless crap nobody needs. And in major productions, I mean who actually needs - or what does it have to offer - a despicable me 3 ? besides some cheap excuse to get rid of your child in front of the tv for a couple of hours wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or crap like pixels, emoji movie, blah blah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am a sucker for proper film making. In big Hollywood productions too. Signs for instance. What a fantastic film! Sixth sense, mind-blowing, proper film making. Bring me more of those things that change your life and less of that avengers 13: the return of scarlet Johansson's ass crap. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll stick to the older films. Somehow they just have more appeal to me.
    Tom smile
  8. Demetris wrote

... the return of scarlet Johansson's ass ...

It has something to be said for it though. cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017
    blah blah blah
  9. Sorry to go on topic here, but I've just finished my first listen to Doyle's music for THE EMOJI MOVIE.

I went into this score expecting very little. I shouldn't judge a score by the critical response to its film, but I often assume that bad movies probably won't have good scores. I shouldn't assume that, since there are dozens (hundreds?) of great scores to terrible movies, but I guess I just thought there wasn't much chance that Doyle would find much in this film to be inspired by. I think, though, that he lent some real class to what is probably a pretty classless film. Maybe my positive reaction to this score is a reflection of low expectations. In the end, it's not a terribly noteworthy score. But I did enjoy it.

The first five tracks or so were a nice introduction of theme and style. I particularly liked the fusion of orchestral and synthetic elements. The first track, "Emoji," is one of the highlights of the score. It's got a lot of cool little things going on, and flits around between some really fun and interesting instrumental choices. It has a general feel that it's building to a big statement of theme, but it never goes there. You can actually hear the theme best at the beginning of the track. The very first bars hint at it, and then it makes a brief appearance at 1:20. It's really just an introduction to the theme, though, as the full theme is longer than what is presented here.

Tracks 6-13 went past without making much of an impression on me. I wouldn't blame someone for giving up on the album during that, but that would be unfortunate as the rest of the score is pretty good. Things pick up with "Gene Chooses Hi-5" which starts out with some of the films first real gravitas and ends with a lovely version of the theme on piano.

"Instagram Paris" contains another lovely version of the main theme, more fleshed out here than in any previous appearance that I noticed. It was at this point that I realized that there is a real similarity between the beginning of this theme and the beginning of Desplat's theme from THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS. There another melody in the second half of this cue that may be a love theme for the film. I didn't notice it anywhere else, but it was just my first listen. It's a really nice cue.

Everything after that point is pretty fun. The climactic "Gene Saves Textopolis" presents the main theme at its most heroic.

If you program out the duller music in the first half of the score I think you've got a pretty good album here. Doyle's having a good year. His score for A UNITED KINGDOM is still my favorite of 2017 so far (although it's technically a 2016 score). His music for WHISKEY GALORE! didn't make much of an impression on me, but it was fine. The music from THE EMOJI MOVIE is fun, and almost certainly much better than the film deserved. I'm really looking forward to hearing his score for MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, too. Giacchino and Desplat are having a typically prolific year with a lot of high profile assignments, but it wouldn't surprise me if I end up liking Doyle's output more than anyone else's at the end of the year.