• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2024
    Chatchai Pongprapaphan - Hom Rong
    It's a ranat-ek (Thai xylophone) only score.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2024
    Joep wrote
    Chatchai Pongprapaphan - Hom Rong
    It's a ranat-ek (Thai xylophone) only score.....

Sounds monotonous....
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2024
    Correct. Nothing but a novelty.

Currently listening to everything of Popol Voh 'related' to Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2024
    NP: THE GOLDEN BOWL (Richard Robbins)

You can't really go wrong with Robbins. Those slowmoving, circular movements feel like someone's rubbing balsam on your soul. He was doing post-minimalist romanticism long before it was fashion. Richter, Korzeniowski, Desplat, Marianelli etc. -- they all point back to Robbins.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I do have one or two Robbins score - but a gin-based fog is impairing my recollection at the moment - but your post has prompted me to explore his music...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    "Gin-based fog"...I love it.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    "Gin-based fog"...I love it.

beer

Just imagine it's frothy gin in my smilie glasses!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    beer
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2024 edited
    NP: LAS 13 ROSAS (Roque Banos)

God, I really miss this Banos, years before he was swallowed up by various contemporary tropes. Gorgeous and sweeping. And wears its Bernard Herrmann on its sleeve.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2024 edited
    NP: COSI FAN TUTTE (Pino Donaggio)

Outside the tantalizing cover, a delightful sex comedy score that combines synths and orchestra in ways that only Donaggio can (and perhaps Francis Lai). Perhaps a melancholic piano or string line, with discrete, bubbly synths underneath. Also some delightful collision of styles, like the opening track "Mozartiana" - having Mozart's stylings (of the famous opera by the same name) collide with electric guitars, BEVERLY HILLS 91210-style. Love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2024
    NP: LA FRECCIA NERA (Stefano Caprioli)

I feel like Caprioli is one of the more underrated of current Italian composers (he's 62, so not a youngling). Usually reverts back to the melodic elegance of his predecessors for his film and TV work, including this period piece.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2024
    Thor wrote NP: COSI FAN TUTTE (Pino Donaggio)delightful collision of styles, lik!

That summarises a larger portion of his resume, even though it often varies in between delightful and dubious, quirkiness on a single body of work. If I were to compile the best of list, even though he has written about 20 absolute masterpieces, the majority consists of fragments of a lot of scores, among them some quirky or influenced by temp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2024 edited
    Joep wrote
    Thor wrote NP: COSI FAN TUTTE (Pino Donaggio)delightful collision of styles, lik!

That summarises a larger portion of his resume, even though it often varies in between delightful and dubious, quirkiness on a single body of work. If I were to compile the best of list, even though he has written about 20 absolute masterpieces, the majority consists of fragments of a lot of scores, among them some quirky or influenced by temp.

Yes, I find that sometimes, I like the eclectic nature of his scores (DON CAMILLO, L'ATTENZIONE, MORTE IN VATICANO), other times they become too eclectic for their own good. And yet other times, I prefer Donaggio when he's in a more consistent mood (like the all-synth HOTEL COLONIAL or the gorgeously religioso ANTONIO - GUERRERIO DI DIO or LA MONACA DI MANZA). Strangely, I was never that big a fan of his De Palma work, even if that is what everybody loves. Except maybe CARRIE and partly DRESSED TO KILL.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2024
    NP: EN KÄRLEKSHISTORIA (Björn Isfält)

Sadly, as a Roy Andersson fan, I haven't seen this 1970 film of his. But the soundtrack is great. Proto-prog á la Procol Harum with some folk elements thrown in, as always with Björn Isfält's achingly gorgeous, bittersweet orchestral backdrops and variations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2024
    NP: WIDOW'S NEST (Francis Lai)

NIDO DE VIUDAS, or WIDOW'S NEST in English, is a 1977 film with a superb Francis Lai score. Deeply melancholic, with gorgeous mixes of synth and orchestra. Some of it has a NEVERENDING STORY vibe. Alas, it's only available in the Anthology box, so I had to throw a cover together in 2 minutes to have something in my iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A SOLDIER'S DAUGHTER NEVER CRIES (Richard Robbins)

This is one of the Robbinses I always had a bit of trouble getting into. Something about the starkness of the minimalism, I think. But once you weed out the existing songs and pieces, you're left with 32 minutes of score, which means the style doesn't wear out its welcome.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: L'UOMO CHE CAVALCAVA DEL BUIO (Pino Donaggio)

Yes, I've been on a bit of a Donaggio binge lately. This is a nice drama score from 2009, directed by and starring Terrence Hill. I think it's a sample/acoustic hybrid. It's all drifting softly and cautiously by; some of the suspense tracks I've weeded out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2024
    NP: SISTER MARY EXPLAINS IT ALL (Philippe Sarde)

This 2001 score was a major revelation in my recent 'collection expansion'. From the cover, it might look like a cheesy comedy, and perhaps it is. But one shouldn't be fooled by the cover. Remember how WE'RE NO ANGELS, despite its cover, housed a rollicking George Fenton action score? Well, this is no action score. Instead, it's a gorgeous religioso score that channels wonderful, lithurgic choir. No comedy in sight. I'm ALWAYS sold when it comes to this religious sound, so this quickly rocketed into my top 10 Sarde.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2024
    NP: PREVENGE (Toydrum)

This was a nifty little thriller from 2016. I dig Toydrum's work in general, and while this isn't on the level of DEEP WATER and FUTUREWORLD, I love the combination of ethereal, childlike innocence and those experimental, grindy, zithering tension elements they're known for. It should never get too pretty!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2024
    NP: DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE (Dave Grusin)

I think this 1967 score is one of the first feature film scores Grusin ever did? In any case, it's a solid album. Loungey, with some sprinkles of orchestral drama and even those quasi-baroque elements I love so much in jazz-centered scores. Kritzerland put it out on CD in 2011.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2024
    NP: THE CURE (Dave Grusin)

I've had a digital version of this score in my collection for years, but I think I've only played it once. Returning to it now, and I can't understand why I haven't played it more often. It really is a lovely slice of Americana. Grusin and Randy Newman, in particular, really knew (know) how to capture that twangy, down-to-earth Americana style.

(PS. I'm gonna keep pounding this thread with "Now Playing" posts for as long as I have the will and stamina; hopefully someone else will also tune in with theirs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2024
    NP: DOLI SAJA KE RAKHNA (A.R. Rahman)

I like how moody the songs are, for this 1998 movie. Not a lot of aggravating vocals, just running smoothly along. Rahman always has those gorgeous chord modulations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2024
    NP: TAAL (A.R. Rahman)

1999, and Rahman is developping into more lush landscapes, even though this is a song-driven soundtrack too (at a generous 65 minutes!). I think maybe this is the score that foreshadows his later work, whether in Bollywood or Hollywood (cemented in LAGAAN two years later).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2024
    NP: NOW IT'S DARK (Thomas Dybdahl)

Thomas Dybdahl is primarily known in Norway for his melancholic pop music, but for this 2018 film, he really branced out into dark synth landscapes. Love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2024
    NP: BRÖLLOP, BEGRAVNING OCH DOP (Gaute Storaas)

One of Gaute's best scores, I think, although there are a couple of "modern" elements I could be without. But the way he plays around with certain Swedish folk music tropes amidst a rich, orchestral drama score is wonderful. We nominated it for a Harpa award in 2019 (the Nordic film music prize), which it subsequently won.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2024
    NP: ANTHOLOGY, VOL. 1 (Eduard Artemiev)

I've managed to procure both of Artemiev's anthologies (11 and 12 CDs, respectively), but only in digital format. I'm now trying to make a "best of" of both volumes, for easier listening. There's some absolutely stunning music in these sets, especially the synth stuff, but also some lovely loungey things.
    I am extremely serious.