• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2023
    Craig Armstrong' Victor Frankenstein and Nocturnes: Music for Two Pianos

The first, an overwhelmingly emotional powerhouse (so much better than Doyle), the second a welcome continuation of Piano Works, now with deeper, more minimal musical intent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2023
    Elemental - Thomas Newman

Well, I missed that he scored a Pixar film again. Starts of as a typical Newman light orchestral score but then suddenly there's the introduction of Indian styled music and Rahman lookalike things. Very surprising listen. There's not really standout theme though, a pity!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    NP: A UNITED KINGDOM (Patrick Doyle)

While I sometimes say that Doyle's "cut-off point" in terms of providing excellent scores on a consistent basis more or less is 2006 (with AS YOU LIKE IT), there are still some nice scores after that, of course. This 2017 effort is one of them - slow, romantic, epic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    NP: BEIST (Bendik Hovik Kjeldsberg)

Superb electronic score for a recent Norwegian TV series. Sadly not commercially released, these are tracks sent to me by the composer himself. This should have a release!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2023
    Np: Jane's Newton Howard

Played his first four M. Night Shayalaman scores back to back today. It's been a long time since I played any JNH and I enjoyed these excellent scores so much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023
    Timmer wrote
    Np: Jane's Newton Howard

So Jane has a Newton Howard all on her own? wink

Glad to see you pop in, Tim.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2023
    NP: SILK (Ryuichi Sakamoto)

This wonderful 2007 effort by Sakamoto doesn't get talked about enough. It's moody, but also elegant and sensual. And it manages to stick with its style throughout (more or less), not just one spectacular theme and the rest rather meddling (which sometimes happened with him, including LAWRENCE).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I don't think that I have heard this... Will need to take a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2023 edited
    JP: THE CREATOR - Hans Zimmer **

This was a disappointment, if I’m honest, especially after the praise I’ve seen it received. It comes across as an amalgamation of familiar sounds Zimmer has produced over the years for better scores, but with minimal inspiration to give the film its own sound. No memorable themes or melodies, just a vibe and meaningless crescendos. Which would be fine, if the soundscape that were created would be interesting, or something you could lose yourself in.

Occasionally Zimmer does something that adds some color to the score - like the choir and organ in Prayers, or some oriental instrumentation - but these moments are few and far in between. Especially Heaven was a track I expected more of, supposedly being this big emotional moment, yet I kept waiting for the track to liven up, to inject some soul into the score, but then it just… ended.

In short - basic Zimmer, with nothing to really grap my interest, as if the majority was scored by additional composers, and even though it ended only minutes ago, I’ve already lost the vibe of the music. Between Standby, Prayer and True Love, there’s probably around 10 to 15 minutes of worthwhile music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2023 edited
    Sorry to hear it, Bob. It's one of the best scores of the year for me. But these things affect us in different ways. I think in this case, it was primarily the small glimpses of his BEYOND RANGOON style that floored me.

Glad to see you pop in, though!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2023 edited
    NP: 30 C IN FEBRUARI (Andreas Söderström & Johan Berthling)

Loved this Swedish show from 2012, and the music too! Soft oriental flourishes, always melodic. Perhaps the album is a bit long at 70 minutes, but it's tricky to weed down.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2023
    NP: WILD SALOMÉ (Jeff Beal)

Currently on this in my "whittling project" (I'm up to 80 albums now, many to go), still Beal's best score. Poetic, with elements of Irish(?) instrumentation, as well as old Roman tropes, moving graciously. But too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2023
    NP: THE PARENT TRAP (Alan Silvestri)

At this point, I feel like I've curated my Silvestri iTunes collection the way I want it, after having sampled everything he's ever done. It's down to 34 top notch albums (although I have more on my hard drive). However, every time I find this while scrolling my iTunes, I ask myself "how did THIS end up here?". But then when I listen to it, I remember -- straight-up, melodic, orchestral drama "fluff" that nonetheless exude warmth and charm. It's more or less interchangeable with what John Debney did at the time (late 90s), but I have a soft spot for that kind of sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2023
    Armand Amar - La Terre Vue du Ciel

Still love it a lot; one of the best works of Amar. Civilisation is stunning.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2023
    Simple Song #3 from the score to Youth by David Lang (vocals Sumo Jo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-KFx-bOcYk

Pure magic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2024
    NP: COMPONE PARA ELIAS QUEREJETA/EL ALIENTO DEL DIABLO/etc. (Angel Illaramendi)

I really miss Illarramendi's wistful voice on the film music scene these days. Here a nice multi-score disc from 1997 that covers some of his earlier material (EL ALIENTO DEL DIABLO, in particular, was the first Illarramendi I got and has been with me for 25+ years).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2024
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024
    NP: THE WEEPING MEADOW (Eleni Karaindrou)

Nothing like a little Karaindrou/Angelopoulos when you're hung over -- slow, sneaking, discrete soundscapes for an aching body and mind.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Karaindrou does come up with some lovely themes for her scores - The Weeping Meadow is one of my favourites. What I particularly like is how there are multiple versions of the main themes. Her scores sometimes feel like musical studies of one or two themes.

And her choice of instruments is also appealing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024 edited
    True. Sometimes, there are a bit too many iterations of a theme (ULYSSES' GAZE has never appealed to me, for example), but the soundtracks are often organized in a way that makes their appearances welcome rather than repetitive. She's better than Rachel Portman that way.

Favourite Karaindrou is THE BEEKEEPER, followed by THE SUSPENDED STEP OF THE STORK, ETERNITY AND A DAY (also my favourite Angelopoulos film, and a slow cinema favourite overall), THE WEAPING MEADOW and DUST OF TIME. Never really checked out her non-Angelopoulos work, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE HONEYTRAP (Dominik Scherrer)

Dominik Scherrer, who has delivered one of 2024's most interesting scores so far in BOAT STORY (and who previously impressed me with his score for MISS MARPLE) really blasted on to the scene with this excellent 2007 score, fusing electronics, orchestra and voices.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    True. Sometimes, there are a bit too many iterations of a theme (ULYSSES' GAZE has never appealed to me, for example), but the soundtracks are often organized in a way that makes their appearances welcome rather than repetitive. She's better than Rachel Portman that way.

Favourite Karaindrou is THE BEEKEEPER, followed by THE SUSPENDED STEP OF THE STORK, ETERNITY AND A DAY (also my favourite Angelopoulos film, and a slow cinema favourite overall), THE WEAPING MEADOW and DUST OF TIME. Never really checked out her non-Angelopoulos work, however.

Your experience of Karaindrou's music is pretty similar to my own in respect of scores listened. I don't mind the thematic repetition - as long as there's variation too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BERNADETTE (Francis Lai)

Such a beautiful score. Primarily synths, true, and sometimes synths mimicking acoustic ensembles (which is usually a no-no), but somehow I like this. Only 22 minutes, though, which is too little.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    Armand Amar - La Terre Vue du Ciel

Still love it a lot; one of the best works of Amar. Civilisation is stunning.

It's great, as is most of Amar's stuff (up to a certain point), but nothing can beat HUMAN, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024 edited
    NP: J'AI RECONTRÉ LE PÈRE NOËL (Francis Lai)

Too late for Christmas, but I love this score. Not the songs, necessarily (although they're nice enough), but Lai's gorgeous synth melodies. I've been on a Lai binge for a couple of months now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2024
    Regarding Karaindrou... To me, there are very few composer who show Karaindrou's great sensibllity in the interplay between instruments based on a single theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2024
    NP: TIBET - CRY OF THE MOUNTAIN LION (Jeff Beal & Nawang Khechog)

I've been kinda hooked on New Age/ethnic-style scores recently, which made me go back to this 2003 score by Jeff Beal, before he became famous. Love those vast, echoey ambiances, with gongs, voices and winds.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2024
    NP: JEANS (A.R. Rahman)

I talked to a Sri Lankian film critic in Tromsø in January, and inevitably the discussion went to Bollywood scores and Rahman. Her favourite of his was JEANS from 1998, which her dad used to play all the time when she was a kid, and she was glad that I -- too -- loved that score. Light and airy songs with layered and sophisticated production values. So playing that again now. Like me, she also had no idea why it was called JEANS.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I always try to avoid the Bollywood songs and look for albums stating that explicitly state that they are "background score" albums.

There's a high number of Bollywood albums being released digitally that I ignore because I know that they would be predominantly made up of songs. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2024
    Personally, I love many of the "songtracks" too. They are the CENTER of the film's music, after all, unlike random songs pasted into score albums in our part of the world, which - like you - I tend to program out.

But yes -- it's not always easy to find the rare item known as the BGM score album in Bollywood, if that's what you're primarily looking for. Sometimes, it's labelled as such, sometimes not. For example, I recently listened to 7/G RAINBOW COLONY by Yuvan Shankar Raja, Ilaiyaraaja's son, which is a straight-up BGM album, but not labelled as such on the front cover.

Talking about this, I miss our ex-members from India - Demonstar & Bhelphuri (apologies to Sunil for not being included in that company, but there was too much noise around you). I actually saw Demonstar post on JWFAN just a couple of months ago.
    I am extremely serious.