• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021 edited
    I am curious to know how many of us can read music?

I can't. But I have always had an interest in looking at music notation examples that are sometimes present in books about film music: notation examples of themes and motifs. I enjoy seeing these musical examples and trying to follow them when listening to the relevant pieces of music. These examples are usually short enough and simple enough that I can follow them.

So, with this in mind, I bought the recent book, ALIENS in full score - a lavish 210-page book featuring James Horner's music for this excellent movie. The book features the music as heard on the deluxe edition CD release.

I have to admit that I find it almost impossible to follow but I also find it really fascinating to choose little passages of the score that features iconic moments of music and then try and see how the music appears on the manuscript itself. The action scoring is REALLY difficult to follow and I find that, in order to follow any of it, I have to follow the anvil parts of the manuscript (thanks James for including those!). But then I am so busy trying to follow the anvil I can't look at any other parts of the music!

I am seriously thinking of getting Omni Music Publishing's STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE Full Orchestral Score but I dread to think how much it would cost to have it shipped here to the UK from the US.

The Aliens full manuscript book wasn't the first I had bought a score manuscript. I had previously bought a copy of the full manuscript for John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH - from Alan Howarth's site of all places! - and that's really difficult to follow. The music in the film (and on the CD) seems to be chopped about a lot from the original manuscript and there's a lot of notation on this copy of the hand-written score that's difficult to decipher. But, again, it's a fascinating read. The image on Howarth's website of the cover to the book looks quite different to the spiral binder with the plain grey cover that I have. It would be interesting to see if he's had the manuscript written up to the level that the Horner and Goldsmith scores have been written up to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2021
    One of the biggest regrets in my life is that I never learned to read music (or that my parents didn't give me piano lessons as a kid), because I've always had a very intuitive musicality, playing around on the piano "by ear" and so on.

A few months back, one of the Celluloid Tunes contributors sent me a sheet music booklet of NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, for which I politely thanked him -- but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it other than to keep it on my book shelf. Maybe I can re-gift it to some of my more musically savvy friends.

I've seen a lot of 'buzz' about that ALIENS score sheet booklet you're speaking of, Alan. As a huge fan of the film and score, it could potentially be something I would own -- just for the hell of it -- but I'm more interested in getting the Dark Horse comics at this point, my last "hole" in ALIEN-verse.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    One of the biggest regrets in my life is that I never learned to read music (or that my parents didn't give me piano lessons as a kid), because I've always had a very intuitive musicality, playing around on the piano "by ear" and so on.

I've seen a lot of 'buzz' about that ALIENS score sheet booklet you're speaking of, Alan. As a huge fan of the film and score, it could potentially be something I would own -- just for the hell of it -- but I'm more interested in getting the Dark Horse comics at this point, my last "hole" in ALIEN-verse.

I also wish that I had learned to read music when I was younger. It seems such a difficult thing to try and do later in like - like trying to learn a second language. I would certainly recommend putting it on your list as a later acquisition. It's a book I dip into now and again and I am glad I have it despite it all looking Greek to me!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I play the piano at a beginner/intermediate level and almost exclusively play film score excerpts, but I've never had a full score book, only the "piano solo" selection type books. If they had some of my favorite scores presented that way, it would be so much fun to own and follow along! I also played clarinet through college as part of a symphonic band ensemble. Even though I wasn't very good, it was so delightful to have a real surround sound experience like that, and it's one of my most favorite memories!
  3. One of my fondest memories is hearing 'My Heart Will Go On' (honest!) being played in our house by my daughter on the cornet as she practiced it for a concert. Then playing it solo on stage. She was about 10 years old.

I wish she would have kept playing it but priorities change when you become a teenager!

It would be so great to be able to go to an instrument and just rattle off a tune.
  4. That sounds amazing Alan! What a special moment! I've always been jealous of guitar players. Their instrument is so portable and sing-along-able...seems like it would be such an amazing skill to have!
  5. Guitar players do have the portability. I pity the tuba and double bass players of the world!