• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2023 edited
    Something I've been putting off for a long time, but I've decided to go through my digital collection of some 2500 albums, and whittle down ALL the overlong album presentations into more succinct playlists. Otherwise, I won't play them. It's a HUGE project, since -- as you all know -- many soundtracks these days are insanely long. Digital distribution allows for it. So you have "albums" that are 90 minutes, two hours, three hours, what-have-you.

I don't know how many albums we're talking about; probably a couple of hundred. Currently whittling Fock's NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON and OSTWIND as I'm writing this.

Anyone else have similar projects?

I could share some playlists here once I'm done, and everyone else is urged to do the same.

(Everyone, I say, clinging on the faint hope that there are more than 3 people still visiting the board).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Good luck for this big project.

It's not a thing would think of doing. I tend to leave the original album intact, and just select a few (3-5) tracks that are individually highlights rather than a managable album size.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2023
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Good luck for this big project.

It's not a thing would think of doing. I tend to leave the original album intact, and just select a few (3-5) tracks that are individually highlights rather than a managable album size.

So when you select those tracks, do you put them into a separate playlist?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yes, I have a - probably call it a 'notable' list - and then I may put them in a 'favourites' list if it gets multiple plays after that.

I don't often listen to whole albums regularly after the original 1-2 plays.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2023 edited
    I would love to hear the reasoning behind your personal 'curation' of any specific album, even though we might not agree.

Regarding curation.... I am sometimes baffled by the reasons professionals make, and the positive critical response it receives; Morricone Segreto is a random example. I know, given my dislike of almost all official (Morricone) compilations, there really is no professional art to them, whereas there is at least some to a short or longer official presentation of any original score.

To quote a review by James (http://www.movie-wave.net/morricone-segreto/)

''This is an unusually well-curated compilation. I know that the genuine cognoscenti will already be familiar with what’s here, but I have to say I don’t consider myself a slouch when it comes to Morricone – I really need to build an annex just to store all the albums in – and yet virtually all of it was unfamiliar to me beforehand. It’s not just the selection of tracks that’s been done so well (all 27 of them are really great), but also the sequencing – there are the briefest of pauses between them and they flow so well through the album (to the extent that it can be hard to believe there were years in between some of them having been recorded). It’s superb.''

Unusually well-curated? Superb? It's a copy of paste, with some thoughts behind the flow and choices, but really anyone could make a similar, or entirely different presentation based on this segreto premise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2023 edited
    Joep wrote
    I would love to hear the reasoning behind your personal 'curation' of any specific album, even though we might not agree.

That's complex.

1. As I veer more towards the calmer stuff these days, I tend to keep those and weed out action or suspense cues (but obviously keep some of them for variety, and to make the presentation somewhat representative of the score).

2. If I manage to whittle it down to 40-something minutes, or even 30-something minutes (like those old Varese albums), I'm pleased, but there are occasionally things that will sustain both presentations in the 50s and 60s. 70s is more rare, it has to be a super rich score, both thematically and 'setpiecey'. Anything beyond that is way beyond what makes sense, and what gives me pleasure. It would have to be Wagner or something like that. Or multiple-CD compilations.

3. Ideally, I would also need to shuffle the tracks around rather than just "cut out" tracks, especially if it's a score that's in film chronological order, but that's too much work. Then it becomes too much like a fake album producer gig, which is both too much work and too far beyond my competence. I'm just an amateur playlister, so for now deleting tracks will have to do.

I sampled the Morricone SEGRETO album awhile back (not to be confused with the brilliant film score of the same name), and it wasn't quite my cup of tea, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2023 edited
    Frustratingly, this project expanded before I was even finished whittling the "major offenders" (i.e. those beyond CD length, mostly hailing from digital releases).

I came to the new release of Moroder's SCARFACE -- so not even half way -- when I realized I should really also whittle those albums that had a (more or less) curated OST presentation, but where the duration of 70-minutes plus is excessive. PLUS, I should also fill in some remaining composer holes while I'm at it. So back to start....

Geez, what have I started?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2023
    Phew. I've more or less finished. Still have some to go where I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them the way they are or whittle a bit (like Quincy Jones' THE COLOR PURPLE). It amounted to 116 albums, a bit less than expected, but still a LOT of work. I'll see if I can peridically share some screen grabs now and then, perhaps over a glass during the weekend.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Are they whittled down to smaller album-length listens?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2023
    Yes. Not as small as yours with only a couple of cues that you return to (would be curious to see some of your playlists once, if you have them handy), but much smaller than their origins.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2023
    And when can we whittle down your infamous academic thesis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2023
    He, he. Well, there's always the abstract. That's pretty whittled right there.

I'll try to share some of the actual album playlists in a few days. Got new speakers today, and looking forward to hooking everything up and giving those another spin with proper sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2023 edited
    I've started another project, which is even more time consuming than the whittling.

I'm going through all of my collection, and sampling unheard scores by composers I already own and like, but where my collection perhaps isn't that big, or not representative. So with the prospect of expanding and building my collection of said artists. That's a HUGE project when you have 574 artist folders. A few weeks down the road, and I'm still on "A".....

Example:

Right now, I'm on Armand Amar. Always loved him, but only ever owned three of his soundtracks (TU SERAS MON FILS, HUMAN and UN SAC DE BILLES). Sampled some more here and there over the years, of course, that I've also enjoyed, but never really acquired them. So now I'm going through ALL of his work to find those lost gems I should own. Even though Amar didn't really start his film music career until 2002, when he was already almost 50 years old, he still has an impressive 135 credits in the timeframe since -- that which is available, anyway. It helps that he has his own label called Long Distance.

Surely, I can't be the only one doing these things now and then?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2023
    I am sure everyone makes compilations, but not the thing you are aiming for....

Please do not dismiss two of my favourite cues of all times:

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/songs … rld-apart/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2023
    Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't explore his dance music, only his film music.
    I am extremely serious.