• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2023 edited
    Hot on the heels of "The Grand Whittling Project", I've decided to launch into another, even more ambitious one -- building my collection of many composers and artists.

Currently, my iTunes collection lists 580 composer/artist folders. For some of them, I already have a nicely curated collection (or even complete ones in some cases), sampled by going through most, or all of their work that is available, and picking the things I like. But I still have many big names where my collection is very skimpy, for one reason or another. So I'm currently in the process of going through their work (what's available on YouTube and Spotify, anyway) and writing down the titles I find potential in and would like to own at some point. I also use Discogs and Soundtrackcollector to find out what's out there.

It's a challenging project, because some of these people have ENORMOUS back catalogues. Also, for certain Golden Age names, I prefer rerecordings (and preferably rerecordings that don't have mammoth durations of 2 and 3 hours).

I've explored and built in all my 30+ years as a film music fan, of course, but this is a more systematic approach.

Anyone else attempted something similar?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I occasionally visit a composer's back catalogue when I come across a new composer - at least one I am unfamiliar with.

However, it's rare to find anything as good the titles I already have.

But, the advent of digital releases means that there's a lot of composers whose back catalogue is now readily accessible.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2023
    Yes, to a degree. It's a challenge.

The thing I love most is building my own temp score/music libraries based on a certain theme.

For example, I could create a kazoo folder containing;

-all scores including the kazoo
    -all scores including the kazoo by one composer
    -all scores that use the kazoo as a mournful tool
    -all scores that use the kazoo combined with low-key strings in a certain type of film
    -all scores that use an instrument that sounds like the kazoo and combine this with something else.

etc.

In the end, I have a wide view of such a theme, and can combine it with a lot of other things, revisit the folder later on and add even more. It's a different sort of challenge that is never really finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2023
    Yikes! That's some project. Wouldn't it be easier to just create playlists of those "themes"?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    When I only keep a best of playlist, there's room for some curiosities and a text file with everything I came up with initially.

I once dealt with a director who wanted fairy-tale like music. Generally, I could search endlessly, but given the project, and timetable, there was about 10 minutes of score that I immediately felt was the most appropriate. Still, without doing extensive research, I extended the folder with 43 hours and 12 seconds of cues very quickly, just in case. Imagine, these were only things I was already familiar with, let alone what selections would make the folder doing a thorough search.

In the end, this was the cue we used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7O46j8 … mp;index=3
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, I wasn't aware that you had "temp track" gigs. In that case, it makes sense to have folders like that, I suppose.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Even without them, it makes a lot of sense. I do want the grand scope of a singular composer, but I feel you discover so much more by working by themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2023
    I have done the same with playlists in my iTunes, as previously mentioned. For example, "The Religious Sound", "John Willliams' Religious Sound", "John Williams - Pop", that kind of stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2024
    And working by themes regardless of any specific composer.... I doubt you discover much more limiting yourself to a single composer you are so familiar with....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2024 edited
    Well, I have a "The Religious Sound", fan-made compilation too (an actual file compilation, not just a playlist), with various composers. I think a lot of the tracks on that were sent to me by Martijn once upon a time.

But it's not something that I go all up into, like you. Care to share any of your theme-based compilations here, at least the themes you've chosen to explore? (I assume the kazoo one was made in jest).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2024
    Currently, I am collecting short villian motifs. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkK7V7dh25c
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024 edited
    I've come a way since the last time. Several composers I now feel properly curated. My digital collection is now nearing 3000 albums, which I know is peanuts compared to that of you two, Alan and Joep. But still several to go, especially some where it's not easy to find the soundtracks in question -- at least not to an affordable price (we're talking digital downloads here, CDs are out of the question due to insane shipping and whatnot). Donaggio, Sarde, Franke, Lai, Holdridge, Hartley, Robbins, Banos are some names with holes. But at least, I've sampled and listed the titles I need.

If you're curious about which titles I'm speaking of, here's a complete list of what I currently need. When there are question marks beneath the names, that means I've finished curating them (but might be open to future additions), OR that their catalogue is so vast, I haven't properly researched them yet (Cosma being a prime example):

Alan Williams

??

Alexandre Desplat

??

Alfred Newman

THE ROBE (Decca, 1959)

Angel Illarramendi

??

Angelo Badalamenti

A PIECE OF EDEN

Anne Dudley

THE MIRACLE MAKER