• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    INTRADA Announces:

SWASHBUCKLER
    Composed and Conducted by JOHN ADDISON
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 56

One of the most outstanding and memorable attributes of the 1976 film SWASHBUCKLER is the infectious, feisty, and robust musical score by composer John Addison. True to Addison's signature sound common amidst most of his scores, SWASHBUCKLER offers an English sensibility, not unlike that of William Walton and Clifton Parker. Addison composed four key musical themes, the first of which is heard accompanying the pirate's ship, the "Blarney Cock," providing a light-hearted introduction to the proceedings when first heard in the main title. But the music soon turns serious as the second theme emerges with a more sinister, borderline gloomy feel for the Lord Durant character. The third theme appears during the swashbuckling action music which accompanies the antics of the pirates. Finally, no swashbuckling adventure would be complete without a love theme. Addison offers up a sumptuous theme for the romance between Ned and Lady Jane. All told, Addison provided one of his most amusing, sparkling and memorable works for the silver screen, which falls squarely in the tradition of other grand adventure scores. It is an enduing legacy to the talent, inventiveness, and craftsmanship of an extraordinary composer.

SWASHBUCKLER was billed as "The biggest, grandest pirate movie ever...", pitting it against the likes of CAPTAIN BLOOD and SEA HAWK. It came decades after the aforementioned films, in an attempt to revive the pirate adventure, with Robert Shaw turning in a colorful, flamboyant performance. The film was designed as an affectionate homage to pirate films of old, with added elements of comedy to keep the mood light. The film also starred James Earl Jones, Genevieve Bujold, Peter Boyle, Beau Bridges, and Angelica Huston.

Intrada presents the first release of this rollicking score on compact disc, featuring the original LP program in pristine stereo sound. This release is limited to 3000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 56
    IN STOCK NOW
    For cover art, track listing, and sound samples, please visit
    http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC … id.5700/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    John Addison was a wonderful composer. The Chandos compilation CD is highly recommended!

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moviescore wrote
    John Addison was a wonderful composer. The Chandos compilation CD is highly recommended!

mc

That's one I must get!

I saw Addison conducting his own works once, at Filmharmonic 80.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moviescore wrote

mc

Agreed! A great album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

That's one I must get!

I saw Addison conducting his own works once, at Filmharmonic 80.

The most archaic original recording I have in my possession is a 78rpm record of Addison's Reach For The Sky ( a lovely theme it is too ) from around about 1956/57.

Drop a 78 rpm once and there is never a second time shocked

Anyone else have any 78's?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    A Bridge Too Far was good too.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    A Bridge Too Far was good too.

If I remember correctly Addison had a personal attachment to the film because he'd actually been at Arnheim!?
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    Well, that's not true. He was a tank member in XXX Corps at the time of Operation Market Garden.

I'm listening to The Film Music of John Addison, and I'm enjoying it alot. From the silly Tom Jones, the bombastic A Bridge Too Far, chasey Sleuth to the famous Murder, She Wrote.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    New INTRADA

STRANGE INVADERS