• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008 edited
    China vs. Spielberg

People's Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party, has denounced Steven Spielberg's decision to withdraw as artistic consultant to the Olympic Games over China's policies regarding Darfur and the Sudan. Using far harsher language than that expressed by Chinese officials last week, the newspaper said in an editorial that Spielberg, whom it referred to only as "a certain Western director," had been "childish" and "naïve" with "an over-the-top act that defies common sense. Perhaps that's just the special temperament of Hollywood figures." The blast at Spielberg came one day after Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said that he is working with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown to find ways to help resolve the Darfur issue. He pointed out that his country was the first nation outside of Africa to send peacekeepers to Darfur. He criticized Western countries for doing little to encourage leaders of rebel groups in Sudan to participate in peace negotiations -- pointing out that many of them live in exile abroad, particularly in Paris. He suggested that "unbridled pressure" from critics would only complicate the situation, thereby encouraging the rebel leaders to stay away from the conference table. For his part, Brown praised China for its efforts in resolving the issue and condemned calls for an Olympics boycott. Over the weekend Guangming Daily said in an editorial that Spielberg had broken a promise to contribute to the Olympics and "knows nothing about the great efforts the Chinese government has made on Darfur."

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2008-02-20/

-------

Pop superstar Madonna is to take the place left vacant by Hollywood legend Steven Spielberg as artistic director for the Beijing Olympics. Madonna, who this week unveiled her directorial debut "Filth and Wisdom" at the annual Berlin Film Festival smoozefest, accepted an official invitation by Chinese Premiere Ping Pong.

"I'm very excited to allow the world to experience my creative genius", said Madonna in a quaint English accent.

"I want to do for Communist China what my soul-sister, Leni Riefenstahl, did for the Third Reich", she told a group of lesbian Nazi journalists.

Madonna will also use the massive international coverage to promote her latest album, clothing line, children's book "Little Miss Tuff-Sh*t", adopted child and of course her 81 minute 'short' film.

"Other people don't use their time constructively so I decided to make the longest short film ever", snarled Madonna in a Chinese accent as she boarded a flight to Malawi to pick up another 'package'.

Spielberg, maker of classics such as "1941", "Always" and "The Terminal", turned down the job of artistic director - citing as his reason China's failure to act on the Darfur problem. He strenuously denies it had anything to do with the promotional junket he has planned for Indiana Jones 4 and his hatred of paddy fields.

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? … e=s4i30513
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    When I read the news some days ago about Spielberg leaving this project, I found that very hippocrite. It's not that his own country is that much 'cleaner' regarding weapons or peace. rolleyes China is all good when western companies can invest in China and make use of their cheap employers to make even more money...

Why all this boycotting and negativism towards China. Sure, it's ofcourse not geat that there's not real free opinions, or the aspects of human rights, but it's a country that's growing at an unbelievable speed, trying to get out of it's poorness. Sure, because of The Olympic Games many people had to move or had to leave their houses, but also a lot of them will be able to return to new places the government build. Those people will also make use of the facilities after the Games end...

It's not all that bad, and not all good either, but I don't like the negativism of the western world, that shows a certain ignorance and snobbishness I can't completely understand.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    Good post D biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt, I'll not forgive China's treatment of Tibet but I'd rather not speak politics here or at any board.

I'll only say that the west should stop pointing self righteous fingers at others.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I think there's a difference between individual and national morality. If an individual's conscience is afflicted, then whatever the hypocrisy of his own nation, he should act on his imperative. For Spielberg to do otherwise would be a rationalisation. It runs both ways of course - the Soviet Union boycotted the LA Olympics just as the USA boycotted the Moscow games.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know that the first part of the post was a fact and the second was a joke, but has Madonna taken over some creative duties or is that assignment itself also a joke? Call me thick if you want to...

It's unfortunate to hear the "break" between China and Spielberg (irrespective of who is right or wrong). They enjoyed such a good relationship (relatively speaking) during the filming of EMPIRE OF THE SUN. Spielberg was one of the first Westerners to get those kinds of shoots there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    One might say that a boycott of a country whose human rights atrocities extend to legal executions, legal torture of foreign prisoners and illegal occupations of foreign countries would be entirely justified. That's right, I'm not going to visit the US this year.

But I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Spielberg for this. Expressing his concerns about Darfur doesn't automatically mean he fully supports everything his own government does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, I was a bit quick and shallow there, but it's the overall attitude, especialy now with the Games, that is just wrong.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    [shallow post of the day] I like Chinese people the way they're portrayed in SOUTH PARK biggrin [/shallow post of the day]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As Monty Python sang...

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
    With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
    There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
    It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why...
    I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're always friendly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    There's nine hundred million of them in the world today.
    You'd better learn to like them; that's what I say.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They come from a long way overseas,
    But they're cute and they're cuddly, and they're ready to please.

I like Chinese food.
    The waiters never are rude.
    Think of the many things they've done to impress.
    There's Maoism, Taoism, I Ching, and Chess.

So I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese thought,
    The wisdom that Confucious taught.
    If Darwin is anything to shout about,
    The Chinese will survive us all without any doubt.

So, I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees,
    Yet they're wise and they're witty, and they're ready to please.

All together.

[verse in Chinese]
    Wo ai zhongguo ren. (I like Chinese.)
    Ni hao ma; ni hao ma; ni hao ma; zaijien! (How are you; how are you; how are you; goodbye!)

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    Their food is guaranteed to please,
    A fourteen, a seven, a nine, and lychees.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    I like their tiny little trees,
    Their Zen, their ping-pong, their yin, and yang-ese.

I like Chinese.
    I like Chinese.
    They only come up to your knees...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad i have a partner in this then biggrin