• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Madagascar 2 can't be compared to anything, even genre-wise. I think if we go through comparisons, we could compare Horner's synth only scores to Zimmer's orchestral-only scores.

How would Zimmer score Apocalypto?

Madagascar 2 is underrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, an animated score? Very nice, looking forward to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    lol

I was very tired when I wrote that. My bad.

I would just like to add that from most of the scores by Horner I've listened to, he's very much got a very trademark sound just like Zimmer does. The obvious difference is that Horner's scores are more musically complex with classic orchestral influence, while Zimmer's sound is more simplistic with a progressive rock influence. But that is not my point, from a technical point of view (in the film itself), I feel Zimmer's material works at least as well as Horner's. What if he doesn't do complex orchestral melodies like Horner? He has a different approach and I happen to like it, because it suits the film and is a good listening experience on its own. All his stuff sounds the same? I could say that for several other composers including Horner. Why is it that I hear John Williams haters say all he ever composed was variations of Star Wars and Indiana Jones? I saw people literally in uproar when it was rumoured he would come back for the final Potter film,. Granted these people are obviously ignorant, but it's just an example to show that just because a composer has a certain style of composing or sounds like himself a lot, doesn't mean he's a talentless hack with very limited skills and only a few good scores. Whether Zimmer sounds cheap or not is a matter of taste, I happen to think not and I'm not even a fan of a lot of his RC gang's work. Horner is a very good composer and a favourite of mine, but as far as I'm concerned Zimmer is no more limited in talent than he is, especially when you see Zimmer is doing it without any significant musical education. Granted musical education makes you a better music composer, but this is about doing a film score, which needs to be more apt than musically superior. I wouldn't compare them in that manner because they have different styles of composing, they usually score different types of films for directors with different tastes for scores, so I wouldn't write off any one as talentless just because of the other's work in a different film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Madagascar 2 can't be compared to anything, even genre-wise. I think if we go through comparisons, we could compare Horner's synth only scores to Zimmer's orchestral-only scores.

Yeah. It should be even deeper down the shit-pile.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Zimmer:
    Despicable Me
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1323594/
    Source: http://theneptunes.org/d-a-confirms-wor … trailer-3/

Thanks for the heads up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Too much to read.

Anyone willing to condense it?

Actually, naaahhhh! Don't bother.

And no offense intended to what people have written here wink

Some say Zimmer is better composer than Horner 'cause he's able to understand how to score each scene for each movie differently and not go all sentimental and saccharine..

....which is what Horner is accused of.

Others say that Horner is the better COMPOSER, 'cause he's able to write more ably, coherent and with proper musical development than Zimmer who goes for the rock guitar riff approach.

I say http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … r/#Item_11
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yeah. It should be even deeper down the shit-pile.

Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    lol

I was very tired when I wrote that. My bad.

I would just like to add that from most of the scores by Horner I've listened to, he's very much got a very trademark sound just like Zimmer does. The obvious difference is that Horner's scores are more musically complex with classic orchestral influence, while Zimmer's sound is more simplistic with a progressive rock influence. But that is not my point, from a technical point of view (in the film itself), I feel Zimmer's material works at least as well as Horner's. What if he doesn't do complex orchestral melodies like Horner? He has a different approach and I happen to like it, because it suits the film and is a good listening experience on its own. All his stuff sounds the same? I could say that for several other composers including Horner. Why is it that I hear John Williams haters say all he ever composed was variations of Star Wars and Indiana Jones? I saw people literally in uproar when it was rumoured he would come back for the final Potter film,. Granted these people are obviously ignorant, but it's just an example to show that just because a composer has a certain style of composing or sounds like himself a lot, doesn't mean he's a talentless hack with very limited skills and only a few good scores. Whether Zimmer sounds cheap or not is a matter of taste, I happen to think not and I'm not even a fan of a lot of his RC gang's work. Horner is a very good composer and a favourite of mine, but as far as I'm concerned Zimmer is no more limited in talent than he is. I wouldn't compare them in that manner because they have different styles of composing, they usually score different types of films for directors with different tastes for scores, so I wouldn't write off any one as talentless just because of the other's work in a different film.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote
    And he "can't do electronic music"? What about House of Sand and Fog? Beyond Borders? Of course he can do it, if it's what the film needs.

What about Avatar? In fact, i am in confusion whether he used original choir or electronic choir, especially in tracks like Quaritch, Climbing...., War etc.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. Combination of two choirs, solo vocalists, electronic choirs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Combination of two choirs, solo vocalists, electronic choirs.

Thanks for the information. beer However, i am not impressed with this score. wink
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Horner of course is old-fashioned, but his mostly Hollywood, that's why he doesn't use metaphors. Horner rarely uses contrast (slow-motion scoring of fast scenes, a notable exception being A Beautiful Mind's Car Chase and rejected fragments from Windtalkers, where Woo did a lot of bad to Horner's score).

The problem with Da Vinci Code in the film (as a score album it's one of Zimmer's best scores, also musically it's one of his best, it's very well orchestrated for his standards, for example) is that he scores a small scene like the world was just ending. It wasn't proper narration (the film did it well itself, though the film rather sucked, due to its rather big lack of action), it just made everything overly important. Too much of too intense music. Same problem is in the last scenes of The Last Samurai - why should the score give information that is already given by the visuals?

But Zimmer doesn't use contrast more often than Horner.

As for Da Vinci Code "It wasn't proper narration" - It's an opinion ! Can You Imagine that someone else might have diffrent ? I haven't heart complaints from anyone watching a Movie I wasn't complain. The whole thing about the Philosophy behind the score, how it works or should works it's all an opinion and not proved theorem.
    "The Last Samurai - why should the score give information that is already given by the visuals?" because that's what music usually does, especially in an epic Movie like Samuraii.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Roy wrote

"The Last Samurai - why should the score give information that is already given by the visuals?" because that's what music usually does, especially in an epic Movie like Samuraii.

Hmmm.... interesting subject. According to Spielberg, he firmly believes that a composer would certainly re-tell the story through his/her musical composition. In fact, i read this one from E.T. Score album, where he expressed his opinion on John Williams who has ability to retell the whole story of his movie through his wonderful musical composition. That's what highly required for filmmaker and audience. Score should make you to involve with characters and story of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    Roy wrote

Hmmm.... interesting subject. According to Spielberg, he firmly believes that a composer would certainly re-tell the story through his/her musical composition. In fact, i read this one from E.T. Score album, where he expressed his opinion on John Williams who has ability to retell the whole story of his movie through his wonderful musical composition. That's what highly required for filmmaker and audience. Score should make you to involve with characters and story of the movie.

I am usually pro this opinion too. But every director has their views, every composer has their own ideas and how they think things can work, or not, and in the bottom line, it's all different opinions; subjective material. We can't make them into rules of any kind. Some stuff works, other doesn't according to each case each time, and so forth.
  2. The problem is though, whether you expand the information given (usually case of John Williams, usually in epic scores, indeed) or tell exactly the same thing. I believe that film music is another semiotic language, it's just another sign. Visuals, sound give some information, especially if we treat any kind of narration as giving the viewer some information. Music can give something more.

The case of Da Vinci Code and I believe that's a problem with the whole movie is that every information is given by the visuals and the dialogues. Da Vinci Code is not a very film-like material. It's basically a few guys threatened by something that is not a good bad guy (OK, we can see Silas as a typical psychopath, but I think he hasn't got enough charisma to be a good bad guy). Zimmer scores every piece of explanation like it was the most important thing said ever, so there isn't any kind of feeling that the investigation proceeds. It's an amazing album, but the score has no sense of mystery solved, everything is the end of the world happening before our eyes and this is I think improper narration. I blame it mostly on Ron Howard though, who with some notable exceptions is a very UNsubtle narrator. That's the way he wanted it.

Both notable exceptions were scored by a different composer. The first one is Apollo 13. Why Horner's score really works so great? Horner used his "technical/modern action" approach here, showcased by the type of suspense material (basically the best expansion of the Sneakers/Pelican Brief suspense and action material, even if Sneakers has the best orchestrations, orchestrally it's one of Horner's best score, when it comes to working in the film, Apollo 13 is just a bit better, but Sneakers can't be forgotten for its fun factor on both album and in the movie). What makes Apollo 13 a fully-fledged masterpiece in my opinion is that Horner, with his usual bag of tricks (a bag of tricks I always enjoy immensely) very precisely works with the way the film is edited. The alternation between space scenes and flight control scenes, except the very good editing of the movie itself is really enhanced by a series of percussive/brass/piano effects used by Horner - trumpet motifs, drum rhythms, the famous crashing piano.

The other one was scored by Zimmer and it was already discussed Frost/Nixon. Both scores have the kind of motion I discussed. Horner's Apollo 13 is by no means disjointed and I would say that without his score (when it comes to working in the film, I think Apollo 13 is my favorite James Horner score), the film would have been a disjointed experience, Horner gives it coherency when it comes to the said alternation.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Again about The Da Vinci Code, so The Movie works with Score just as director -composer collaboration wanted. What's Wrong With that? You Can like it or not. As You said It wasn't a film like material so it wasn't easy thing to adapt. You might think It's improper narration but I find the movie with it's score works quite well, though it 's not a very good movie after all.
  3. I think the score's seriousness helps making the movie "not very good".
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    But the whole movie is about very serious topic, it's controversial and touches sacred matters, so seriousness of a Score spoils it somehow intentionally, I mean exaggeration might have been important for filmmakers to treat this difficult subjects. That's Way This music works for Me in the Movie. For instance This good bad guy Silas has such a serious, frightening music attachet that gives Him the charisma needed.
  4. I wonder what would happen if the story wasn't treated so seriously. I mean, in the end what we deal with is a faux-intellectual Indiana Jones (rather than killing Nazis to find an artifact, Langdon is looking at a painting). This kind of music might have worked, if the movie didn't have much music. If it's there all the time, it's far too dramatic.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Too much to read.

Anyone willing to condense it?

Actually, naaahhhh! Don't bother.

And no offense intended to what people have written here wink

Some say Zimmer is better composer than Horner 'cause he's able to understand how to score each scene for each movie differently and not go all sentimental and saccharine..

....which is what Horner is accused of.

Others say that Horner is the better COMPOSER, 'cause he's able to write more ably, coherent and with proper musical development than Zimmer who goes for the rock guitar riff approach.

I say http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … r/#Item_11

Thanks, D. But even that's far too wordy for going over the same sort of ground.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wonder what would happen if the story wasn't treated so seriously. I mean, in the end what we deal with is a faux-intellectual Indiana Jones (rather than killing Nazis to find an artifact, Langdon is looking at a painting). This kind of music might have worked, if the movie didn't have much music. If it's there all the time, it's far too dramatic.

Than We would Deal with totally diffrent Movie. I'm think that sooner or later(propably later) there will be another screening so We might See.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Zimmer is working a lot. He is scoring very interesting projects. He is doing new things. he is being Crazy.

And I love Zimmer.

So, you can talk all what you want....

ZIMMER RULES!
  6. lol

Doesn't help the discussion, does it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    New interview with Hans - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43520
  7. "SK: You brunt criticism for employing other composers who receive “additional music by” credits in the films that you score. Fair or not, this has led to speculations that you don't write portions of your music. Using SHERLOCK HOLMES as an example, can you take us through your scoring process and how your team of composers and orchestrators fit into the overall big picture?

HZ: I’ll happily do that. Look, years ago the studio system had orchestrators, arrangers, and copyists. There was a team of people employed and they were on the payroll. That all went by the wayside.

When I got into film, I worked as an assistant for another film composer. A man named Stanley Myers. That’s how I learned to do film music. He always gave me a credit. Sometimes I had done hardly anything. I was just around and might have contributed an idea or something but he always gave me credit. I thought it was great that he never treated me like a ghostwriter.

I don’t think people should be anonymous. I think people should be acknowledged. How else are their careers going to happen? How else are we going to have new voices unless we promote the Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powells? Those two guys are the perfect examples of people who I insisted upon giving music credit.

To get to the specificity on, "Do I write this thing or not?" I mean, yes I write it. I write it probably more and more singularly than anybody who writes on paper – the old fashioned way you would write your notes on paper the note is the symbol that tells you the pitch and the duration of the note.

I write in a computer. Every note that is being played has at one point or another been played by me. I surround myself with really good programmers as well. Once I set the tune and the outline of it, people are filling it. Plus, I value people coming up with other ideas. It's a conversation. It's like being in a band. People contribute and that to me is additional music.

Maybe it's some perverse thing in me whereby I am always going a little bit against the grain, but you look at all films…Look at THE DARK KNIGHT. It’s very much a Chris Nolan movie. There can be no doubt about it. But was there a collaborative process? Sure! Are there other people involved? Sure! Do they have a voice and contribute to that voice? Sure!

The SHERLOCK HOLMES score is my score. Do I have people coming in and doing arrangements? Look, I’m not a great percussionist. I’ll hire great percussionists and I’ll give them an outline and I’ll give them a beat. So I suppose I had written it but by the time he has finished it, he will have contributed an enormous amount of depth to it.

I work a lot with Scotsman – which is appropriate on SHERLOCK HOLMES – a guy named Lorne Balfe. He is a brilliant programmer, a brilliant arranger, and a brilliant musician. We talked about every note. So, yes, I am going to have him credited as “Additional Music.” At the end of the day it doesn’t take away from me. My ego isn’t that fragile. I don’t have to have the big credit.

You and I know – and we don’t have to mention the name of the movie – there was a big hit movie out there a few years ago that I don’t have a name on in the titles and I wrote the score. They started putting my name onto the sequels.

I feel music is about playing. I feel that music is about getting a bunch of people around you and actually making music together. In one way or the other, I always like to have them acknowledged. I remember when I started out it was really exciting when I got a credit. That sounds ridiculous. My mother used to phone me up and say “Hey, I just saw your movie and I saw your credit!” which was somewhere at the very end of the roll. It meant something to her and that meant something to me, you know?

By the way, I have to fight for those credits with the studios. Studios don’t really want to give credits to anybody else. They just want my name up there."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really, really good ideas. It's true he gives / gave people careers, and i admire him for giving the opportunity and not being an egoistical jerk. But a little filtering on who the careers go to, wouldn't harm us either wink

"How else are we going to have new voices unless we promote the Harry Gregson-Williams (...) "
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Zimmer is working a lot. He is scoring very interesting projects. He is doing new things. he is being Crazy.

And I love Zimmer.

So, you can talk all what you want....

ZIMMER RULES!

So you keep saying.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    "…I think partly what it's referring to is a particular type of film music which is big orchestral scores. Look, Jerry Goldsmith isn't around anymore. Elmer Bernstein isn't around anymore. Ennio Morricone doesn't do that much in America. So we have John Williams who doesn't do that much anymore and James Horner. James and John are the great composers of the era and they truly are great composers. There's not denying that they're incredible talents. But it's not necessary that we make those types of movies."

Hans Zimmer's words wink