• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But the overall score is disappointingly monotonous...variations on one single theme for over an hour. Pass. Next.

There are more than a couple of themes in the album. For example, the theme/motif that appear through out "Panic, Shear Bloody Panic". It's the B theme complimentary to the rhythmic main theme.

And i can see a theme for the Queen of England in the 18 minutes track too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I take it that "Psychological Recovery ... 6 Months" is the original suite? I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    I take it that "Psychological Recovery ... 6 Months" is the original suite? I love it.

I guess it's a montage from diferent scenes. I think the suite is the last one.

Demetris is right, it's a quite repetitive score, but the "psychological..." track alone is one of the best compositions from Zimmer in the last years.
  1. I love the Uilleann pipes in that track.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote

I guess it's a montage from diferent scenes. I think the suite is the last one.

Demetris is right, it's a quite repetitive score, but the "psychological..." track alone is one of the best compositions from Zimmer in the last years.

Catatonie is a pretty good track. I can see how it might be a suite though. I'll have to add it to my playlist, like, NOW!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But the overall score is disappointingly monotonous...variations on one single theme for over an hour. Pass. Next.

There are more than a couple of themes in the album. For example, the theme/motif that appear through out "Panic, Shear Bloody Panic". It's the B theme complimentary to the rhythmic main theme.

I have to re-listen when i find the strength, but really when i first heard it, it was very tiring to me and everyone else in the house who listened to it; I usually hold my final judgment for such scores that don't stick with me at all during the CD listening sessions, for when i hear them through the movie they accompany, but still it has to do a lot to win me over. If we exclude the fact that Zimmer did it, which naturally draws attention to it as a fact alone, it's really nothing special; if anyone else less 'significant' did it, it would skip under the radar.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    New audio interview with Hans about the score - http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2009/12/16/ex … ck-holmes/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    It feels like Zimmer's always trying to illustrate a tiny picture far larger than its actual size during his interviews. The way he describes the process of writing always feels like he wants the audience to think that he's done the impossible and he's done it like no one else can, and he's done it all by himself, even though these may not be his intentions (or are they?)

mmm... Guy Ritchie's head on Zimmer's shoulders, weeping? Okay, right, right. biggrin

I see that he's still trying to make the world realize that Pirates 1 was his and not Badelt's, but I'm not sure what's in it for him now after almost 7 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kidding aside, it's very ironic when you present a standard hardcore fans-only recycle of your own material (that is Sherlock Holmes) like this, like the way he speaks about it in the interview.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009 edited
    tongue
    Sylvos wrote
    I see that he's still trying to make the world realize that Pirates 1 was his and not Badelt's, but I'm not sure what's in it for him now after almost 7 years.

I not sure even if Pirates 2 is by him tongue

I'm fan of Zimmer, but you are right about his interviews ( attention how Zimmer doesn't say nothing about Lorne when the interviewer mentions call of duty :P)

D, Sherlock it's not recycled. If you want something recycled listen Avatar. But what I can expect from a guy who doesn't like Kung Fu Panda
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

D, Sherlock it's not recycled. If you want something recycled listen Avatar. But what I can expect from a guy who doesn't like Kung Fu Panda

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    You can hear four tracks from It's Complicated at Universal Pictures For Your Consideration 2009 website. It's better than I thought actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's the best thing he did since Avatar.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Martijn wrote
    I think it's the best thing he did since Avatar.

Excuse me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apologies accepted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hahah nice! thanks for the 'it's complicated' link, i think i'll listen to that way more than Sherlock.
  2. Michael ANdrews and Jason Schwartzman? Who are they?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Martijn wrote
    Apologies accepted.

Oh, how very kind of you. By the way, you missed the question mark at the end of that post, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh sorry. shame
    Let me rephrase:

Apologies accepted?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Michael ANdrews and Jason Schwartzman? Who are they?

Those are the composers of Funny People. Yeah, Hans is gonna be happy about that for sure.

Martijn wrote
    Oh sorry. shame
    Let me rephrase:

Apologies accepted?

Bad command or file name.
    The system was unable to locate a valid excuse point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Reportedly the score will be officially released too... as a download-only .
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sylvos wrote
    Bad command or file name.
    The system was unable to locate a valid excuse point.

Oh dear! Let me connect you through to one of our helpful operatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't know, those four samples from It's Complicated sound rather generic. I prefer Sherlock Holmes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    keky wrote
    I don't know, those four samples from It's Complicated sound rather generic. I prefer Sherlock Holmes.

I have already decided the witty pun to use as my short title for my review of that score. "Shit, Sherlock."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't say it's shit - it's just nothing particularly good. Having listened to it once, I have no strong feelings either way... I deleted it from my hard drive as soon as I'd finished the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, yeah it's a bit shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I wouldn't say it's shit - it's just nothing particularly good. Having listened to it once, I have no strong feelings either way... I deleted it from my hard drive as soon as I'd finished the album.

The opportunity to play on "No shit, Sherlock" was too good to pass up. As long as it wasn't actually good, I couldn't resist, and fortunately it isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    "It's Complicated" sounds like an extension of "The Holiday", which I really enjoyed. So I'll be getting this one, I'm sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So what happened with Varese!?

Actually I haven't heard Sherlock Holmes. I ordered the CD after the initial reaction to clips said it sounded like Morricone and was really fresh and different for Zimmer. And now everyone's heard it and says it's rubbish. Why do I bother listening to people's initial reactions to clips? And why do I base CD orders off them? Why don't I just listen to the clips myself? Why, BBC, why!?