• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Just saw the "making of" video from the POTC score box set. Two things struck me the most.

One: A guy ( I think he's the music supervisor of Disney) criticizes other film scores to be "canned music", and claiming POTC score to be "completely original".

Two: Bruckheimer says "the work (done by himself and Zimmer) will live on forever".

I'm left speechless. Goldsmith et al would possibly rolling in their graves if they heard these...
  1. Wow, they really think they are that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Success does some weird things to people...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just consider how much money the movies made. Of course they're thinking they're a success all round. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Mmm..."He's a pirate" is so famous and will be remembered for so many people like "Raider's march".

No mather the quality of the music....But if you ask me...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    It's trash compared to the Raider's March, but I agree, it's well known. Hence the entire score is a success... rolleyes moon

Edit: 1000th post! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Mmm..."He's a pirate" is so famous and will be remembered for so many people like "Raider's march".

Do you seriously believe that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

It's ''famous'', but it won't be remembered. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I don't even think it's famous. I doubt that half of the film music fans out could hum the theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. The fame is something else. even worse than humming. Orchestras perform the theme, recently perhaps even more often than Raiders March.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I don't even think it's famous. I doubt that half of the film music fans out could hum the theme.

-Erik-

I can't hum it, my friends wouldn't know it if it bit em on the arse and my friends kids don't know it either!

I'm sure that the POTC themes are legends in Jordi's mind though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The fame is something else. even worse than humming. Orchestras perform the theme, recently perhaps even more often than Raiders March.

Lots of people shrugging shoulders looking at each other quizzicaly unless they can see POTC written in the program.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    It's trash compared to the Raider's March, but I agree, it's well known. Hence the entire score is a success... rolleyes moon

Edit: 1000th post! beer

Congrats on 1000 posts beer

Bregt ain't far behind wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You guys probably don't wanna hear this (Nautilus will, though), but I'm gonna quote somebody who's about 14 years old from Holland, what he said on a Dutch musicboard recently (translated to English):

Pirates is widely known over here. They mainly recognise the tune and know one and another about the movies. There are little people who really know Star Wars, but I can mention only one person I know of who could recognise Indiana Jones just from the music. In my public surrounding, at least.

I guess he's talking about his classmates, but if this is generally the film and filmmusicknowledge of his generation... we're screwed. SW is probably way too classic, same goes for Indy.

Ah, what can I say? The new generation is stupid. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    YEP! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The fame is something else. even worse than humming. Orchestras perform the theme, recently perhaps even more often than Raiders March.

Lots of people shrugging shoulders looking at each other quizzicaly unless they can see POTC written in the program.

Exactly!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What I find irritating is whenever anyone hears typical MV/RC action music, they think it sounds "piratey". rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    What I find irritating is whenever anyone hears typical MV/RC action music, they think it sounds "piratey". rolleyes

The lunatics have taken over the asylum sad
  3. Well, the reason behind that may be the fact that PotC *was* aimed at the teenagers. And add to it that previous pirate swashbucklers (most notably Cutthroat Island and Polanski's Pirates) were big box office bombs. Pirates managed to be a rousing success.

The Korngold/Rozsa sound is largely forgotten. We don't want that, but with the general public this is a stark fact. Giacchino is the hope here. Maybe John Powell a bit, but rather Giacchino. Tyler is too modern, even if referential. Today the only composer of the dominating generation who can do this thing right is Michael Giacchino.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Arnold and Giacchino seem to be two of the few ''popular'' composers with non-film music fans. I think it's probably because of their broadness (i.e. Arnold does a lot of stuff with bands and non-score stuff, and Giacchino just has his name on big thigs like Lost and Medal Of Honor). Likewise, Williams seems to be one of the few composers "older" non-score fans have heard of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Speaking of Giacchino, I'm totally surprised that my girlfriend likes Ratatouille so much. She even likes the "grammy grab your gun" cue, which even I thinks is a little bit too violent, too harsh for the ears...

But at the same time, I'm still unable to get her to enjoy Goldsmith, Beltrami, et al. She doesn't react to Papillon theme...LOL