• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Yes, I mean, man he can really write great string passages a la Williams but still being Talgorn. For example the first track of Fortress is pure class.

Talgorn is very, very good. Sadly suckers like Zimmer, MV and drones are more in vogue… a real shame. Just want to share this frustrating feeling with you guys.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hey, I'm starting to get worried - I'm hearing Horner in Williams. confused dizzy

Anyone who sounds like Williams (and does it well rather than just trying to sound like him) is welcome in my collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm surprised there aren't more composers who sound like Williams. Apart from the obvious imitators like early McNeely or Giacchino (and that was only on low-profile films and computer games, respectively) there are few who write in his style. It's surprising since he has been so successful.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, why hasn't the more recent stuff Giacchino sounded like Williams? I'm not particularly bothered as Giacchino has perfected his sound anyway, but it's interesting why it's not sounding like Williams any more. Perhaps he deliberatly doesn't want to sound like him? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Hey, I'm starting to get worried - I'm hearing Horner in Williams. confused dizzy

Anyone who sounds like Williams (and does it well rather than just trying to sound like him) is welcome in my collection.

I am not sure how you meant this... but for me its the other way around I am starting to hear Williams in Horner work. (the end of "the Train")

I even heard some Morricone like music in Horner's Spiderwick. (not a rip off... just similar technique...)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I listened to the first Harry Potter score yesterday. I swear some of the early cues sound like they're written by Horner. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Yeah, why hasn't the more recent stuff Giacchino sounded like Williams? I'm not particularly bothered as Giacchino has perfected his sound anyway, but it's interesting why it's not sounding like Williams any more. Perhaps he deliberatly doesn't want to sound like him? smile

I guess he was deliberately trying to imitate Williams for the computer games but has been allowed to express himself in his tv and film work. I do enjoy his Williams pastiche, but I'm pleased he went on to offer a more personal style (apart from when doing Barry pastiche wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Flight of the Griffin... 2.53 - 2.57
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Talos wrote
    Flight of the Griffin... 2.53 - 2.57
    "Morricone - like"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Talos wrote
    Yes, I mean, man he can really write great string passages a la Williams but still being Talgorn. For example the first track of Fortress is pure class.

Talgorn is very, very good. Sadly suckers like Zimmer, MV and drones are more in vogue… a real shame. Just want to share this frustrating feeling with you guys.

I have about 8 or 9 Talgorn scores now. I'm just eating his music up.
    The guy is an astoundingly good composer who rates right up there with the very best of today's film composers.

It was Heavy Metal 2000 that first blew me away. What a magnificent piece of work!
    I'm loving Asterix and also The Red Needles. Both very much in the John Wiliams ilk.
    I can't wait to here his future scores!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has he done any action scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Talos wrote

Hey now...no need to slam one composer just because you want to honour another!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yeah, why hasn't the more recent stuff Giacchino sounded like Williams? I'm not particularly bothered as Giacchino has perfected his sound anyway, but it's interesting why it's not sounding like Williams any more. Perhaps he deliberately doesn't want to sound like him? smile

I guess he was deliberately trying to imitate Williams for the computer games but has been allowed to express himself in his tv and film work. I do enjoy his Williams pastiche, but I'm pleased he went on to offer a more personal style (apart from when doing Barry pastiche wink )

He didn't deliberately do anything. He was clearly influenced by the Williams sound in MOH but he didn't just rip off themes and orchestrations. Giacchino very own style and voice can be heard in his early work yet people only want to harp of the Williamsesque sound. Medal of Honor wasn't "HEY, I CAN IMITATE WILLIAMS IN THIS SCORE" it's just the way Michael writes music and it just so happens that some of his earliest influences was the music from Star Wars. Actually, it was Star Wars and the double LP that sparked his interest in film music. Like Anthony, I do miss his MOH sound but I am glad that he was able to experiment more with his score with LOST and establish a new sound that that can be called Giacchinoesque! wink But give me more bold, epic, sweeping, MOH style music. That's the Giacchino I fell in love with!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Talos wrote

Hey now...no need to slam one composer just because you want to honour another!

Couldn't agree more. That's not the way to go.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Heavy Metal 2000 is a masterpiece !

I'm glad he went back to France, where he doesn't have to suffer from stupid Hollywood producers, and can do big projects like Asterix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Asterix is a big project? ( wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Well he did have a big orchestra at hand. And judging from the trailer, this movie has some "epic" scenes.
    Not necessrily high profile, but I think it has a big budget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've watched the film and i can assure you (while i get what you mean) that it has nothing grand nor epic about it; it's a total bore-fest and completely childish in parts; but the score really shines in it, that's true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    Just listened to his Asterix score, its great! The first score track reminded me of Williams first Harry Potter music' Harry's Wonderous World kind of music... the score also reminded me of Space Camp in some very short parts. Anyway, I love Talgorn's music! If I was a movie director, I would hire him right away and collaborate with him for each movie I would make. He is simply put the French John Williams.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    Talos wrote
    He is simply put the French John Williams.

He's just another guy who SOUNDS like John Williams, and I don't think that's who we need another of. I believe the next true great "one" will sound completely different but just as epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008 edited
    Ok, you are right, he sounds like Williams... sometimes. Overall he has a wonderful personal style, which sounds very classical/mature/intelligent. Deep and well written music. I might dare to say that I would prefer him now over today's Williams anytime. As Williams current music is not as enjoyable/interesting as it was in the past. But that's my opinion. Talgorn is one of the very few current composers which I really like, simply because he is the real deal, composition skill wise. I agree we don't need a pure Williams clone, and Talgorn, although sometimes sounding a wee bit like Williams, isn't a clone. He is much more. He is just great composer with a very nice musical style, which I really like. I just can't understand why he is so underrated. Its just frustrating. That said, IF he was a Williams clone, I would prefer that kind of clone, compared with a (for example) Zimmer/Powell etc. one. For these we have sadly way too much, and what's more... these clones get all the assignments... because they sound 'cool'... not. Its just shit, dumb and loud sonic wallpaper. The worst thing ever happened to filmmusic.

ps. Heavy Metal 2000, Fortress, Robotjox, all exciting, pure class music. I love what he is doing with the string section, rising/falling... giving that true epic feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Talos wrote
    He is simply put the French John Williams.

He's just another guy who SOUNDS like John Williams, and I don't think that's who we need another of. I believe the next true great "one" will sound completely different but just as epic.

More from the Williams school of film composing the better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!