• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008 edited
    Apologies if this thread has been started before. I've had a look and I can't find a similar one, but I may have missed it.

Anyway, film composers are just like the rest of us. Which means, amongst other things, that they like the work of other film composers. Does anybody know of any? Here are a selection to start the ball rolling:

Henry Mancini was a big fan of Nino Rota and Ennio Morricone.

Roy Budd was a big fan of Ennio Morricone.

Michael Small - composer of Klute and Marathon Man - was a big fan of John Barry, Ennio Morricone and Georges Delarue.

Hans Zimmer is a big fan of Ennio Morricone (and decided to become a film composer after hearing The [b]Mission).[/b]

Any other suggestions?

And is Morricone the most liked composer within the film composer community?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    Goldsmith loved Rozsa and North.

Christopher Young loves Herrmann and Goldsmith.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Southall wrote

Wasn't Goldsmith taught film composition by Rozsa at UCLA?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You may be right! One of his oft-quoted stories is that he decided he wanted to be a film composer after watching Spellbound.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    John Powell likes Peter Gabriel.... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    - Danny Elfman worships Bernard Herrmann.
    - Harry Gregson-Williams wanted to become a composer after hearing Gabriel Yareds Betty Blue.

These are the only ones I know of smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Brian Tyler likes all of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Brian Tyler likes all of them.

heh wink

He actually worships JERRY GOLDSMITH and likes (VERY MUCH) the work of Zimmer, obviously.

HARALD KLOSER drings water in the name of ZIMMER as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, and I have a feeling Joel McNeely just maybe likes John Williams? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BT likes his washing machine
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, who doesn't!

(Especially women for some reason beyond my understanding.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not familiar with BT's washing machine so can't say.

A few film composers really do love the great film scores and the great film composers - people like Christopher Young, Joel McNeely, Brian Tyler, the late Elmer Bernstein. Sad that most film composers almost seem embarrassed that they do the job when they're interviewed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe John Barry was a fan of the likes of Korngold, Steiner and Herrmann but loved the works of Morricone and Nino Rota.

I've also heard him quoted as saying "John Williams has never written a bad film score".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I believe James Horner said in an interview he loves James Horner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovitch and Khakaturian amongst many others were great fans of James Horner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. djdave wrote
    Southall wrote

Wasn't Goldsmith taught film composition by Rozsa at UCLA?

And friends -- if not good aquaintances -- with North.

BT likes BT. Period.

Didn't Goldsmith says once (in his own words) that Herrmann was overrated? And the rumor that Herrmann burst in during a score recording and to some film and told Jerry he was "too good for this film" or something like that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Didn't Goldsmith says once (in his own words) that Herrmann was overrated? And the rumor that Herrmann burst in during a score recording and to some film and told Jerry he was "too good for this film" or something like that.

I remember reading something to that effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    The quote attributed to Goldsmith about Herrmann is that "he was a good film composer but not a very good composer" - I've always had my doubts that he actually said it, or at the very least there was a whole load of context removed.