• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    how was it? don't spare anything, we wanna hear it all wink

Yeah, even that bit involving the two women you told me about...unknowingly...''. wink biggrin
  1. Anthony wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    how was it? don't spare anything, we wanna hear it all wink

Yeah, even that bit involving the two women you told me about...unknowingly...''. wink biggrin

Bregt + women = always an adventure wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    tongue

I'm just awake of some jetlag sleep and I'm going back to bed because tomorrow lessons start again. rolleyes slant

More later.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    tongue

I'm just awake of some jetlag sleep and I'm going back to bed because tomorrow lessons start again. rolleyes slant

More later.

Lightweight! rolleyes

smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Lightweight! rolleyes

smile

tongue

It is a good excuse to sleep. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited
    Okay, reading through this topic, which I hadn't done yet, I can tell you, I didn't visit a Chinse cyber café. No time and ... not really important. If I had the chance, I'd just see if MainTitles was accesible throguh China's great firewall. We met some students there, so i'll ask them via email.

About my text message. With "brol" I meant 'useless stuff, that are sold in these little shops along the roads or on very touristic places. In any case, no troubles were involved. The weird situations with sellers are ofcourse the price negotiations. Almost everything needs to be negotiated and that didn't go very well the very first days. But at Fake Market I became a pro. biggrin

About the girls, I always liked the Asian type. wink
    SOme of the waitresses were just soo cute. They all look 16 or so, but are in fact 22 or so, unlike our region, where 12 year old look like 16. Asian girls are cute and have that nice skin. love

Apart from the girls, I had a great time with the culture there. We visited the big touristic stuff obviously, but the visit of the Great Wall was in Simitai, a far off place for the monument, with not much tourists. The wall itsel wasn't renovated and therefore mostly like a ruin which still could be climbed. So, instead of cycling it, we had to 'climb'. Great to arrive at the top and see the wall travelling kilometres away in the mountains. Stunning, also knowing that this building just desn't end for over 6000 kms.

Other highlights were The Temple of Heaven, the Forbidden City (which was immense), the beuaitful gardens of Suzhou, the silk factory, the West Lake of Hangzhou, the Bund in Shangai, ... Too much experiences! And the food was surprisingly enjoyable and tasty!

Oh, and I liked tea before, but now I'm addicted! In my free time, I visited a traditional tea house wth ceremony of several tastes. I had the most fun there, and the herbal teas were just excellent.

More later.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited
    Oh, and about the Tibet problems during my stay, we encountered the censorship of China at the very moment it was first introduced on the news. Some of my friends were watching the news because we just arrived at our hotel in Xi'An and it was talking about the fights and problems, but after a cuple of minutes, the screen went black.

Yes indeed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    , but after a cuple of minutes, the screen went black.

Yes indeed.

shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yes indeed.

shocked

Why so shocked D ?

This is exactly the reason the vast majority of Chinese people have no idea of the 'truth' of what's happened and happening in Tibet since 1950.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote

More later.

Bregt, sounds fantastic. I've wanted to visit China for some time, and hope to make it some day. I guess you went on a pre-planned tour? (Is that the only way to do it?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yes indeed.

shocked

Why so shocked D ?

This is exactly the reason the vast majority of Chinese people have no idea of the 'truth' of what's happened and happening in Tibet since 1950.

Have you been watching "A Year in Tibet" on BBC4? It barely mentions the political problems, just follows ordinary Tibetans in their everyday lives - fascinating!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

More later.

Bregt, sounds fantastic. I've wanted to visit China for some time, and hope to make it some day. I guess you went on a pre-planned tour? (Is that the only way to do it?)

A friend of mine travelled around China for three Months a couple of years back without going on an organised tour.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Yes indeed.

shocked

Why so shocked D ?

Have you been watching "A Year in Tibet" on BBC4? It barely mentions the political problems, just follows ordinary Tibetans in their everyday lives - fascinating!

I only managed to catch one and it is fascinating stuff, beyond these type of programs, David Attenborough, the odd comedy and film here and there, I don't watch much TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

More later.

A friend of mine travelled around China for three Months a couple of years back without going on an organised tour.

I guess he spoke Chinese though?
  2. well it truly sounds you had fun over there. Glad to have you back, I didn't want those Chinese keeping our Bregt there prisoner wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    well it truly sounds you had fun over there. Glad to have you back, I didn't want those Chinese keeping our Bregt there prisoner wink

I wish I was still there. I feel depressed today becase of the real life that started again. A black hole is coming I feel.

But I'm smiling each time I think back! smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

More later.

Yes, it was organised via a Belgian travel agency and my school (because we visited a couple of Belgian companies and a university in Hangzhou we had connections with). So, 100 students need some directions and that's the best for a big group, because of the guides, the language barrier, the culture barrier, the mad organisation and sometimes stubborn ideas and thoughts. And it's just easier andmore relaxing too I think. But that's also because we visited the more western influenced part of China, if you'd go more west, perhaps travelling alone would be a better idea, although, I don't really know.

It's still vacation. I don't think it's much of a iking country, except for some parts perhaps. But the triangle we visited, is one you should defenitely do. It portraits the mighty country it once was, with the dynasties and buildings that are unimaginable these days (although, China still builds to the extreme: The Three Gorges Dam, The Birdnest, their gigantic buildings): Chinese Great Wall (go to Simatai for an adventure), Temple of Heaven (beautiful!!), The Forbidden City (amazing stories here, good to have a guide here too), The Terracotta Army, the wall of Xi'An, the Gardens of Suzhou, a silk factory and perhaps Shangai.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

More later.

I guess he spoke Chinese though?

Nope!

China is so gigantic that I doubt a few years away there would make you any the wiser, it's just too huge!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008 edited
    Pictures!

You don't need a Facebook account to see them!

I tried to add the info I remembered from the guides there.
    So lots of info as well. smile

Day 1 - Beijing: Forbidden City & Temple of Heaven and Earth
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 … =699097810

Day 2 - Beijing: Hutongs, the traditional housings of Beijing people

More pictures later.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing Bregt!
  3. Can't you be normal on a picture for once Bregt? biggrin
    Nice pictures though, must have been a hell of an experience wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Bregt would not say why he didn't want to return so fast from his trip to China but I think Demetris was right about the main reason being one beautiful local girl... cool cool cool

I'm glad you had a nice trip Bregt. Can't wait to see more pics...
    Robinson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Can't you be normal on a picture for once Bregt? biggrin
    Nice pictures though, must have been a hell of an experience wink

Bregt ain't normal! cool biggrin

Cool pics bud cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008 edited
    Awesome pictures, indeed. The traditional side of China is beautiful! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Day 3 - Beijing/Simatai: The Great Wall (I'm a hero now!)

Day 3 - Beijing and leaving Beijing to Xi'An (by train)

Next up Xi'An's Terracotta Army and the West Lake of Hangzhou.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    Enjoyed that new batch alot pal! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Here's my favourite batch of pictures: Hangzhou and Suzhou, called the pearls of China! Two beautiful, green cities, not far rom Shangai.

Day 4: Xi'An (Terracotta Army)

This speaks for itself. Impressive to see.

Day 5: Hangzhou (West Lake)

Big lake in the middle of this city. Whil there being at night and not seeing everything, it was again magic. Sitting under a pagode, hearing only the waves and water ... smile

Day 6 & 7: Suzhou (Silk Museum and Tiger Hill)

I loved Tiger Hill. When I think back, this must be one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited. So much to see and discover. Nothing beats sitting on any of these places and just looking. Looking and not thinking. I want to go back!

China, Day 6 & 7 - Suzhou (City of Gardens)

Here we visited the Master of Nets Garden. One of the most exquisite gardens of China. Again, I could just sit there for hours.

Next and last stop = Shangai. Abit an anti climax after the previous two days, but still quite fantastic nonetheless. People who ever visit China, defenitely need to go to Suzhou. Defenitely!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008 edited
    Holy crap! The size of that building with the terracotta army! shocked

I have been to the biggest building in the world actually - the Boeing airplane factory in Colorado. BEYOND MASSIVE! punk