• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sexy? Depends who carries it smile

I've seen farrrrr better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    -edit-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Ok, here's a clip of me speaking a few simple lines - http://www.zshare.net/audio/59348826c8c25939/

Sorry if I pronounced any of the composers' names wrong.. shame

I think you're voice is really good Ravi cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks, Timmer! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    All of us on this forum have an accent!!!

I steadfastily refuse to have an accent.
    Unless it's funnier that way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I remember how our ex English teacher used to deliberately put on a British accent to her Hindi while even uttering a single Hindi sentence to us, but spoke completely normally to other teachers. That was incredibly annoying!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    DemonStar wrote
    I remember how our ex English teacher used to deliberately put on a British accent to her Hindi while even uttering a single Hindi sentence to us, but spoke completely normally to other teachers. That was incredibly annoying!!

That's a bit silly actually. It's natural to use the accent of the language you teach. I mostly use the English one and play games with the children with the other accents. The like my Irish one and the laugh preety hard when I try to imitate American accents (don't get angry Tom, I always overdo them on purpose). But to use it when you speak your mother tongue is strange! confused
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    When dealing with my Indian colleagues it's always incredibly funny for me to hear entire sentences in English in between the rapid-fire Hindi! None of them try and adopt a phoney accent, though. smile
    Interesting how British English is still regarded as rather upperclass (unless you happen to be in the USA where it's more frequently associated with sadists and serial killers these days. slant I am STILL after all this time trying to figure out WHY Joaquin Phoenix adopted a British accent as Emperor Whatsisfacus in Gladiator. )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Somewhere in 2004 I recorded some dialogue of Marcus Aerlius. Me and a bunch of friends had quite a few drinks and this was part of infamous recording dizzy

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zogmyy0zxtz
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You shut up! You should SHARE with your mates insteaD! angry
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You shut up! You should SHARE with your mates insteaD! angry

biggrin
  1. Timmer wrote
    There are a lot of Scots accents....not all sound lovely.

Very true. A very strong Glaswegian accent is one I'm not too keen on.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Glaswegian is what I was thinking of in particular.

You have a lovely accent Alan beer
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Glaswegian is what I was thinking of in particular.

You have a lovely accent Alan beer

So I've been told.

People may have a chance to hear my accent in a few weeks - I've just finished filming a 4-5 minute "geeky scientist" piece for a work-oriented website. Stay tuned! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. statistics pinpoint out that this thread is now the most used of all discussion topics wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Martijn wrote
    When dealing with my Indian colleagues it's always incredibly funny for me to hear entire sentences in English in between the rapid-fire Hindi! None of them try and adopt a phoney accent, though. smile
    Interesting how British English is still regarded as rather upperclass (unless you happen to be in the USA where it's more frequently associated with sadists and serial killers these days. slant I am STILL after all this time trying to figure out WHY Joaquin Phoenix adopted a British accent as Emperor Whatsisfacus in Gladiator. )

That was the influence of the actors playing the senators. I've read somewhere that the accent model for the WHOLE movie was Derek Jacobi.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Haha! A thread on statistics that shifts to olive oil, Greek babes and now accents!

DemonStar wrote
    And mocking at someone's accent like the guy in the above video is a very mean thing to do IMO.

I'm in school and can't listen to any of the clips you guys uploaded. Will check when I get home.

BTW that Youtube link that Demetris passed is from Russell Peter's stand-up comedy show. While it has become routine for comedians of Indian origin to poke fun at the accent and all things desi, that one by Russell is priceless! Do try to watch the full 45 min show on Youtube. He's hilarious!

Heck, I use so many one-liners from it on a daily-basis. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Gladiator. )

That was the influence of the actors playing the senators. I've read somewhere that the accent model for the WHOLE movie was Derek Jacobi.

Heh.
    I Claudius will remain a template for all dramas Roman for a long time to come, I hope! smile

That said I fear that's only a very small part of the American media's preoccupation with British accents generally inferring "no good". To name just one small example ina sea of plenty, in the TV series Heroes, the part first offered to Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who No. 9) was that of (psychotic mass murderer) Sylar!
    He declined, stating that the European killer was such an American cliché, and that he didn't want to fall into that stereotype. Good for you, Chris! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote
    Somewhere in 2004 I recorded some dialogue of Marcus Aerlius. Me and a bunch of friends had quite a few drinks and this was part of infamous recording dizzy

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zogmyy0zxtz

There's a very small file (208 kb) named 'Yeah. wav' , but it doesn't seem to do very much.
    Are you infecting my PC with robotzilla viruses and trojan condoms? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Ok, here's a clip of me speaking a few simple lines - http://www.zshare.net/audio/59348826c8c25939/

Nice! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stavroula wrote
    DemonStar wrote

That's a bit silly actually. It's natural to use the accent of the language you teach. I mostly use the English one and play games with the children with the other accents. The like my Irish one and the laugh preety hard when I try to imitate American accents (don't get angry Tom, I always overdo them on purpose). But to use it when you speak your mother tongue is strange! confused

I take no offensive. While people in California use particular slang and words our accent is pretty neutral compared to the south, midwest, and eastern part of the US.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote

Actually, you pronounced all of them correctly except for John Powell (the last name). Nothing to be ashamed of. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    Ah, ok! I'll check out what it's pronounced like wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    BTW that Youtube link that Demetris passed is from Russell Peter's stand-up comedy show. While it has become routine for comedians of Indian origin to poke fun at the accent and all things desi, that one by Russell is priceless! Do try to watch the full 45 min show on Youtube. He's hilarious!

Heck, I use so many one-liners from it on a daily-basis. tongue

Ah, ok! I was a bit annoyed by it so I turned off the video earlier. I'll watch it again and check cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Looks like youssefAA became the 300th member!

fireworks
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Rian wrote
    Looks like youssefAA became the 300th member!

fireworks

Awesome. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    Great! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yeah, yeah....300 members but....WHERE is koko?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Koko, we hardly knew ye. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You guys like tempting fate, don't ya?