• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    Have you seen the show D?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The 4th season didn't have any of the big thematic "finale"-type cues that the first three seasons all did (the first one's finale, the second one's "Mother of Dragons" and the third one's "Mhysa"). "The Children" was kind of an attempt at that but sounds so similar to "Mhysa" that it didn't really have the same impact. Other than that it's generally even darker and murkier than the previous seasons. Not a very enjoyable album at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

That asshole? No he hasn't.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He hasn't seen the show? Well, I am surprised!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
    Timmer wrote

no shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The 4th season didn't have any of the big thematic "finale"-type cues that the first three seasons all did (the first one's finale, the second one's "Mother of Dragons" and the third one's "Mhysa"). "The Children" was kind of an attempt at that but sounds so similar to "Mhysa" that it didn't really have the same impact. Other than that it's generally even darker and murkier than the previous seasons. Not a very enjoyable album at all.

I see. Then, maybe, this is why i like it the most. More restrained, and darker smile I thought that Djawadi does those solemn, choir-led pieces pretty good (Same as his medal of honor first score) and got4 was a continuation of that sound. I usually find his more epic stuff (apart the glorious got main theme) a bit off for my tastes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014 edited
    With the recent turn in Djawadi's sound throughout the last couple of years i am really excited about this
    DRACULA UNTOLD http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Untold-Ra … bsnr_42_15
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    With the recent turn in Djawadi's sound throughout the last couple of years i am really excited about this
    DRACULA UNTOLD http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Untold-Ra … bsnr_42_15

I'm currently listening to this on Google Music. Just starting, organic, with sprinklings of electronics, but nothing to get excited about. I'm thinking that this will skew more toward the GoT sound.
  2. I quite enjoyed Dracula Untold - when it doesn't get too excessive, which it tends to do in the latter half of the album for me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014
  3. Will there be a score release for GAME OF THRONES season 5? I can find no trace of it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016
  4. My review of WARCRAFT, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/06/28/warc … n-djawadi/

Jon
  5. Because it's a general mistake people make in terms of the adaptation (which I haven't seen yet)... from what it all seems, the film is not an adaptation of the MMORPG game (which reviews do suggest), but rather the early strategy games, which are one of the first RTS (real-time strategies) games ever. If I understand the plot outlines/summaries I've seen, it is based on the first game, basically being an origin story of the races and conflict.

The design of the knights ("footmen") in the trailer also hints at that.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2017
  6. My review of THE GREAT WALL, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/02/28/the- … n-djawadi/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017
  7. Not at all surprising to me that the music for this show takes on a new life when a few highlight cues are taken from each season. Looking at the tracklist it seems they have done a pretty excellent job selecting those highlights, too. I don't usually hold with compilations but this definitely looks worth checking out (especially if, as you say, it transcends the often shoddy-sounding performances of especially the earlier season scores).

Also - who is Gerald, and what is his theme? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017
    Gerald was my cat when I was a boy and I've always thought he deserved a theme.
  8. I want to buy that GoT Symphony as I generally love the Prague Philharmonic. I have lots of their recordings and I consider them one of the top orchestras. Also to have something of a 'best of' of Djawadi's scores and not having to buy the complete seasons, which I'm not interested in.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. As I own all of the Game of Thrones albums I did, what I also did with The Hunger Games: I created a playlist for my mp3 player following the Silva template. In both cases the list works great.

Volker
  10. In this case Volker I think it's worth considering actually getting the recording, though, as the Game of Thrones scores do sound kind of crappy with the synth overdubbing and all.
  11. Those synths don't sound crappy to me. They are part of a unique sound, probably almost impossible to recreate.
  12. Shitty string samples are a "unique sound" now? rolleyes
  13. I agree a Frequency Modulation string pad would have been even better. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
    I agree with the captain here, synth and all, it's part of the sound Djawadi created for the series. Also, I thought the Symphony was cringe worthy, the orchestral performance doesn't sound right at all and very small, as opposed to the original recording and mixing.
  14. I don't know. It's not like there are specifically crafted synthetic textures that are meant to be part of a unique sound...it's just samples required by a low budget (at least for the first few seasons). Any artistic meaning you're seeing there came in after the fact, with the music already associated with the series.

In other words, I have a hard time imagining Djawadi came in and said "you know what unique sound this show needs? Synth orchestra!" - then again, he is an RC guy, so maybe he genuinely did think that. Which is even more frightening if you ask me.

I haven't actually heard the Symphony yet so I'm basically going off of Southall's review.

Edit: Also, I kind of have to point out the irony of the audiophile being OK with synth orchestra but not 320 kbps mp3s. I'd much rather listen to a glorious 100-piece symphony in 192 than some cheap samples in FLAC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
    BobdH wrote
    I agree with the captain here, synth and all, it's part of the sound Djawadi created for the series. Also, I thought the Symphony was cringe worthy, the orchestral performance doesn't sound right at all and very small, as opposed to the original recording and mixing.

I listened to it on SPotify and I kinda agree. It seems to be recorded with a small ensemble and limited in scope and sound. It's a selection of the best tracks though, so as a compilation it's quite okay.
    Kazoo
  15. So it's just a compilation masquerading as a symphony?

Even from the opening track of the re-recording I much preferred the originals. The tone of the former seemed a bit lifeless. Silva could have saved a bit of money by just suggesting a symphony playlist to people so those interested could put it together from their own ost collection.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't know. It's not like there are specifically crafted synthetic textures that are meant to be part of a unique sound...it's just samples required by a low budget (at least for the first few seasons). Any artistic meaning you're seeing there came in after the fact, with the music already associated with the series.

In other words, I have a hard time imagining Djawadi came in and said "you know what unique sound this show needs? Synth orchestra!" - then again, he is an RC guy, so maybe he genuinely did think that. Which is even more frightening if you ask me.

The reasoning behind it doesn't really change the way I feel about it: whichever way, Djawadi created a sound for Game of Thrones that I find really fits the series, that has the right amount of epicness, and we have come to associate with the world. Also, the fact that Djawadi never changed the opening theme, even though he slightly enriched it over the seasons when the budget grew, and continues to use synths throughout newly composed music (even though in other parts use of organic instruments grew, thanks to the budget) shows this is part of his intended sound. Even if you'd say, well, he might've just stuck with it to ensure continuity, he also used this mix for World of Warcraft, so it's most probably his preferred mix of instruments. The "frightening" bit, you say.

I'm also a firm believer of 'I don't care what makes the sound, as long as it works', and Thrones to my opinion definitely works. I really don't get all the talk of is it an orchestra, is it sampled, is it electronic... is it a good composition? Synthetic elements are simply another part of a composers toolbox; he may use brass, he may use a piano, or synths, as long as it gets a vision across, and even when it's budget constrained (and I find it completely unfair to judge a composers music based on the budget he is given), it's how he uses it. The RC sound of sampled elements and synths comes with a different sound and feel that fits a different type of film than one which requires a fully modern score, and this different sound can be beautiful, cool and powerful in its own way.

In regards to this so called "symphony": there's also a difference between doing it right or doing it lifeless, with a small orchestra and not really hitting the right marks, of which I greatly prefer the original mixing than a "real orchestra".

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Edit: Also, I kind of have to point out the irony of the audiophile being OK with synth orchestra but not 320 kbps mp3s. I'd much rather listen to a glorious 100-piece symphony in 192 than some cheap samples in FLAC!

There is no irony there. Orchestral or electronic, as explained above, both have its advantages and can sound great. Both sound different whether it's lossless or compressed, and yes, when you listen to an orchestra it shines more in lossless.