• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote

Is 'Turning The Tide' from JNH's Charlie Wilson's War an existing classical piece, or is it an original composition? Either way, Howard's arrangement of it is brilliant!

It definitely reminds me of a particular Mozart piece (I think one of his masses), but I'll have to go through my many Mozart recordings to find the one I'm thinking of. You're right though, it's a great arrangement original or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    I was wrong, it's not Mozart. It's "And He Shall Purify" from Handel's Messiah.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    Scribe wrote
    I must disagree about I Am Legend...I saw the film today and I was quite impressed by both the score and the film itself, plus how they worked together. It definitely wasn't a film that needed a lot of score (probably about 20 minutes total) but it worked wonders when it appeared.

I agree. I just saw the film and it wasn't bad like so many people think. The music was really good during the film for the scenes it accompanied.
  1. Just my opinion, whoever bombs this movie has a certain problem with either the director or actor, only one actor can pull of a one character movie and that's Will Smith. His expressions, charisma and personality alone makes this movie intruiging. And it was strange not to hear a lot of music but mostly it really hit the atmosphere right and while I always want music to be big, its wonderful to realize that the softness of the music really worked.

Ps, great movie, stunning sound and a lot of thrills and charisma from Will Smith, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie ****
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    ...only one actor can pull of a one character movie and that's Will Smith.

How about Tom Hanks? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

I was about to say the same. I'm sure there's a lot of actors who could aptly pull off a one-character movie.
  2. BobdH wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

I knew this one was going to haunt me wink
    you'll all thinking of Castaway and Tom Hanks amazing performance in it. I would say true, but I still think the on air presence of Will Smith is much more sublime in I am Legend than Tom Hanks in Castaway, how good those 2 were all the same smile
  3. According to Stuart M. Thomas' site JNH will score Defiance and Confessions of a Shopaholic.

http://stuartmthomas.com/
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Sounds like thrillers?
  4. I'm looking foward to his next Shyamalan project the most, namely The Happening smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Defiance appears to be a Zwick film about Jewish resistance against Nazis in WW2....sounds like potential for a great film and score. smile Shopalohic will probably be entirely skippable.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    Scribe wrote
    Defiance appears to be a Zwick film about Jewish resistance against Nazis in WW2....

Scoregasm!!!!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Defiance appears to be a Zwick film about Jewish resistance against Nazis in WW2....

Scoregasm!!!!

punk

Indeed!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    What the heck is this?
    http://www.amazon.com/James-Newton-Howa … ;sr=102-15

It seems like a very short running time. Has anyone heard this? Is it instrumental? Synths?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. It may be synth, I'm not sure I am recalling JNH having a Yamaha-sponsored album, but not sure here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote

Scoregasm!!!!

punk

Bregt, smilie please!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    LSH wrote

Scoregasm!!!!

punk

Bregt, smilie please!

A 'scoregasm' smiley..? Do we really want to...? I guess some thinks are better left to just words smile
  7. BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    LSH wrote

Scoregasm!!!!

punk

Bregt, smilie please!

A 'scoregasm' smiley..? Do we really want to...? I guess some thinks are better left to just words smile

On reflection, that's probably the best course of action to take.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote

Scoregasm!!!!

punk

Indeed!

Booya!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008 edited
    It's also worth noting that Defiance is pretty much new ground for James. I don't recall that he's ever scored a serious war movie or anything in similar vein.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well...Blood Diamond and Snow Falling On Cedars are both serious movies about people in the context of war. But I see your point.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Yeah, I was thinking more specifically of the actual combat of the World Wars. Very exciting project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
  8. Thor wrote
    Two things I disagree with in this thread:

1. THE GREAT DEBATERS cover....I like it! It's different and minimalistic. Not everything needs to look like those overcrowded, saturated fantasy film score covers (although they are fine, too). Kinda modern.

2. Danny Elfman's THE KINGDOM....this is a SUPERB score, his best since CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. But it's obviously an advantage if you like sophisticated percussive sampling and post-rock a la Explosions in the Sky.

Thor - I don't get this. Why do you generally assume people don't like things because they are just too mired in old-fashioned tastes and thinking? confused
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    Whoa! shocked Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks the clips for I Am Legend are just beautiful!? There seems to be so much not in the film... but that choir! The strings! The drums! The vocals! Could this be... his best score of the year?? Am I being overly enthusiastic? Should I calm down?!?!?

Yes, probably shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    They certainly took me by surprise!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    So, I couldn't resist any longer. I've just ordered a whole bunch of new scores from Varese (also all the new JNH staff except of Michael Clayton sleep ). January is going to be an expensive month...
    Cheers crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote

Thor - I don't get this. Why do you generally assume people don't like things because they are just too mired in old-fashioned tastes and thinking? confused

Because it's true.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Because it's true.

Not quite the backing off I expected.
    Not even sure what to say to that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. I remember them ol' fangled LP's that didn't hold much music without having to have two of the bastards, and when we moved to CD, we had more. Even complete scores. But some of us didn't quite leave our old fashioned ways, right Thor?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.