• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    I have the Silva Screen re-recording of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, which I'm perfectly happy with, so I won't be buying this new edition. I am very much looking forward to MAD MAX, though. Haven't heard the score, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about this.

IMHO, that Silva re-recording is lifeless. This NEW recording should offer superior sonics and an orchestra that has really come a long way from their disastrous early film music recordings. If you just listen to their latest output for Taldow alone (Exodus, El Cid, etc) then you can see why getting the new LEWRENCE recording would be nothing but essential!

-Erik-

Exodus and El Cid are all brilliant in all technical aspects, i am sure this new release will be up there too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Crikey!
    Apparently there was a rerelease of the much sought-after The Man Who Would Be King by Kritzerland.
    shocked

Sold out now. sad

(Luckily it isn't my favourite Jarre by a long shot, so I'm not particularly bothered.
    I'm just surprised everyone -including me- seems to have missed it)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Kritzerland is an interesting company who limits there releases to 1000 with the idea of selling out everything.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They succeed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    The Man Who Would Be King is one of my favourite films. Certainly in my top three. Its score is in my top ten. I decided not to buy the new release since I already have the older one and I don't really want to spend $20+postage on a title just to get better sound quality (given how many other releases there are to buy), but I hope a few new people will be able to enjoy this wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It certainly is a very fine film!
    I'm just not mad about the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm with Martijn.

The score works great in the film ( a favourite of mine too ) but I would hardly ever play it on CD, I know that for a fact because I used to have the LP.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. MAURICE JARRE
    MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME
    Coming Soon from Tadlow Music

A Double CD featuring one of the greatest film scores from MAURICE JARRE :
    Composer of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, RYAN’S DAUGHTER,
    A PASSAGE TO INDIA, WITNESS.

- 2 CD Set with full Colour Booklet
    - Limited Collectors Edition of 3000
    - Remixed and remastered by from the original 24 track tapes
    - Features for the first time the complete score for MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME including alternative versions and Bonus Tracks
    - Over 2 Hours of Music
    - Over 50 Minutes of Previously Unreleased Music
    - Music Performed by THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

Conducted by MAURICE JARRE
    Huge Orchestra of over 100 featuring 3 Ondes Martenot, 6 Pianos, 10 Percussion Players, 3 Anvils, Didgeridoo
    One of the finest of all Maurice Jarre Action Film Scores

CD Re-Issue Produced by JAMES FITZPATRICK

Catalogue Number: TADLOW009
    Release Date: May 25th 2010

Track Listing:

CD 1:
    Original Main Title Music (2:00)
    Max’s Theme – The Desert (2:41)
    Bartertown Theme (1:55)
    Accents 2 Suspense (3:48)
    Tragic Saxophone (0:40)
    Heartbeat / Pigrock (3:48)
    Master Blaster / The Manipulator / Embargo / Entity Humiliated (2:29)
    The Discovery (2:01)
    Conspiracy (0:35)
    Thunderdome (4:52)
    Darkness / Gulag (3:48)
    Master in Underworld / Desert Hallucinating (5:21)
    Magical (3:02)
    Children’s Theme (2:13)
    Ceremony (1:12)
    Confusion (1:14)
    The Telling / I Ain’t Captain Walker (4:01)
    Compassion (3:18)
    Tyrant (2:45)
    The Leaving (5:05)
    Underworld Takeover (2:19)
    Arrival (2:59)

Tt: 62:06

CD 2:
    Max and Savannah Escape (3:05)
    Boarding the Train (2:22)
    Bartertown Destruction (4:03)
    The Big Chase! (11:44)
    Epilogue (3:18)

Bonus Tracks:

Original Soundtrack Album Tracks
    Bartertown (8:27)
    The Children (2:12)
    Coming Home (15:15)

Pianos Overdubs for The Big Chase! (2:37)
    Organ Effects (0:39)
    Plastic Tube Effects (0:47)
    Wild Chords (0:25)

I Ain’t Captain Walker (5:02)
    The City of Prague Phlharmonic Orchestra
    Crouch End Festival Chorus
    Conducted by Nic Raine

Tt: 60:01

http://www.pragueorchestras.com/madmax.htm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    Already ordered it.

This score is just FANTASTIC! For me THIS is the release of the year so far ( until Star Trek III? ), a brilliant powerhouse of a score and, rarely for me, I really can't wait to get my hands on this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The score ain't too shabby, from what I can remember, but nothing spectacular. I'm not sure I would have bought it even if WERE arranged like a proper album. I wish there were some sound clips there, though. I'd love to hear what the performance sounds like.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, it is spectacular ( at least IMO ) and most importantly it doesn't contain those awful 80's power ballads by Tina Turnip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Oh, it is spectacular ( at least IMO ) and most importantly it doesn't contain those awful 80's power ballads by Tina Turnip.

Yeah, those mainly have a nostalgic value to me. It's not something I listen to. Which songs were there again..."We Don't Need Another Hero"?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    The score ain't too shabby, from what I can remember, but nothing spectacular. I'm not sure I would have bought it even if WERE arranged like a proper album.

Actually, the 'proper' original album arrangement HAS been included on Disc 2.

Thor wrote
    I wish there were some sound clips there, though. I'd love to hear what the performance sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKP1p4QDFM

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, the 'proper' original album arrangement HAS been included on Disc 2.

It has? Cool. That doesn't happen to often. Of course, the drawback is that you have to pay extra money for lots of other stuff that you will never play, but it's really the only way to please "both camps".

Thor wrote
    I wish there were some sound clips there, though. I'd love to hear what the performance sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKP1p4QDFM

-Erik-

Thanks, is that from the Tadlow recording? It doesn't say. One of the comments suggest it's an old Silva compilation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    You can listen to sound clips here:
    http://www.pragueorchestras.com/madmax.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Hmm... upon hearing the YouTube clips I was convinced I HAD to buy this score... but after hearing the clips from the new release, I wasn't that sure anymore. I don't know, it lacked a certain warmness? Too much treble?

Also, the 2-disc is divided very annoyingly - just the finale on the second disc? Then in the middle the original tracks and ending with demo thingies? So not one disc you can just put on without needing to know when to stop it or having to change discs to finish the listen... :-s
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2010
    There's 86 minutes of music. We all know that doesn't fit on one disc.

James Fitzpatrick on the Film Score Message Board wrote:
    GENERAL MESSAGE to ALL MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME buyers

I have just be alerted to the fact that CD 1 of the new MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDEROME might have a small fault between tracks 1 and 2.

So to this end I have ordered an immediate repress to cure this fault. BUT, this will take about 2 weeks...so the release of MAD MAX will have to be delayed until mid to late June.

However, a few copies might already have been shipped to mail order customers around the world from Tadlow / Silva Screen.

If you do receive a faulty copy that has been purchased directly from Tadlow Music... please let me know instantly and I will put you on the priority list for sending a replacement.

Apologies for the delay...but hopefully we have caught the problem before too many copies have been shipped?

All the best
    James Fitzpatrick
    tadlowmusic@hotmail.com

I got my copy today. Unfortunately it's a faulty one. There is a pause between track 1 and 2 on disc 2 that shouldn't be there. I've already e-mailed James Fitzpatrick about a repleacement disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    You mean all the tracks, or most of them, segue into each other normally? That would be good news!
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    Some of them are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    Sounds like a minor glitch that doesn't affect the listening experience too much. Or?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010 edited
    Since it's not posted here, on the Maurice Jarre, thread yet, and don't know if these full details have been posted anywhere else... (though I know the release has been mentioned... somewhere on MainTitles, though I lost track on if that was actuallt this release):

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (COMPLETE / 2 CD) (PRE-ORDER) (CD)
    Composed by: Maurice Jarre

planned release: early september

* 2 CD Set with full Colour Booklet Special Limited Collector’s Edition
    * Featuring for the First Time the Complete 77-Minute Score
    * Over 140 Minutes of Music
    * Performed by the Acclaimed and Award-Winning City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted by Nic Raine
    * 104 Piece Orchestra includes 3 Ondes Martenots, Cithare, 2 Grand Pianos, 2 Harps, 60 Strings and 11 Percussionists
    * Recorded from the Original Orchestrations by Gerard Schurmann from 1962.
    * New Score Preparation Supervised by Leigh Phillips
    * Informative and Expert Sleeve Notes by Frank K. DeWald

* Bonus Material includes other great Maurice Jarre Film & TV Music
    PRANCER / DEAD POET'S SOCIETY / MOON OVER OVER PARADOR / RYAN'S DAUGHTER / THE FIXER / FIREFOX / SOLAR CRISIS / THE PALANQUIN OF TEARS / CIMARRON STRIP / THE MAGICIAN OF LUBLIN / SUNSHINE / RESURRECTION / JESUS OF NAZARETH

The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
    Crouch End Festival Chorus (Choir Master: David Temple)
    Conducted by Nic Raine

CD 1
    1.Overture (4:25)
    2.Main Titles (1:56)
    3.First Entrance to the Desert (4:25)
    4.Night and Stars (1:16)
    5.Lawrence and Tafas (4:31)
    6.Lawrence Rides Alone (0:50)
    7. Exodus (2:24)
    8.We Need a Miracle (2:40)
    9.In Whose Name Do You Ride? (2:34)
    10.That is the Desert (The Camels Will Die) (2:37)
    11.Mirage / The Sun’s Anvil (5:19)
    12.Gasim Lost in the Desert (3:29)
    13.Lawrence Rescues Gasim / Lawrence Returns with Gasim / The Riding (6:37)
    14.Arrival at Auda’s Camp (2:00)
    15.Bedouin Feast (1:26)
    16.On to Akaba (3:19)
    17.Attack on Akaba / Lawrence at the Sea Shore (2:03)
    18.Sinai Desert / After Quicksands / Hutments / Suez Canal (6:16)
    19.A Brilliant Bit of Soldiering – The Voice of the Guns (Kenneth J. Alford) (2:05)
    20.Bugle Call / Lawrence on the Terrace / Intermission (1:34)
    21.Adulation (0:50)
    22. The Horse Stampede / Farraj Killed (2:56)
    23. Ali Rescues Lawrence / Allenby’s Flattery (3:11)
    24.Assembled Army / Lawrence and His Bodyguard / Arab Theme (3:06)
    25.Military March (1:18)
    26.The End / Play-off Music (4:01)

Total Time: 77:34

CD 2
    THE MUSIC OF MAURICE JARRE
    A Personal Choice
    1.MOON OVER PARADOR (3:54)

SYMPHONIC DANCE SUITE from THE MAGICIAN OF LUBLIN (7:40)
    2.The Magician (0:41)
    3.Warsaw (0:34)
    4.The Feast (1:48)
    5.Bicycles (1:28)
    6.The Park (0:50)
    7.The Magician Flies (1:56)

8.THE FIXER – Suite (7:11)
    Solo Violin: Lucie Svehlova

9.CIMARRON STRIP – Main Theme (1:01)
    10.PRANCER (6:19)
    11.THE PALANQUIN OF TEARS – End Credits (2:47)
    12.RYAN’S DAUGHTER - “Where Was I When the Parade Went By” (2:37)
    13.LAWRENCE OF ARABIA – Nocturne (alternative version) (1:53)
    14.SUNSHINE – The Sonnensheins (4:52)
    Solo Soprano: Charlotte Kinder
    15.SOLAR CRISIS – End Credits (6:51)
    16.RESURRECTION – End Credits (3:25)
    Harmonica: Steve Lockwood
    17.FIREFOX – End Credits (5:18)
    18.DEAD POET’S SOCIETY (6:21)
    19.JESUS OF NAZARETH – Concert Suite (8:28)

Bonus Track:
    20.The Voice of the Guns – Original Version (Kenneth J. Alford) (2:41)

Total Time: 71:04

Source: http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010 edited
    So... if you make people pay for a second disc, only to fill it with music that's NOT from Lawrence of Arabia and is advertised as being bonus music... does it really qualify as a bonus?
  2. This time I think that this is a "bonus" disc. I've really yet to "get" Jarre's style. And listening to a lot of examples of his other stuff may help me appreciate him more.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. THE FIXER is one of the great unheard themes in Jarre's repetoir. Silva did it before in a suite - perhaps the new performance will throw a truly great violinist at it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010
    I love Tadlow for throwing in stuff like that; this is often music I've never heard of and would normally never listen to, while there are bound to be gems in there. I like how the Fitzpatrick is thinking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard most of the stuff on Disc Two (but agree with Franz about The Fixer) so it really is a great bonus for myself.
  4. Moon Over Parador is one of the best comedy scores ever. Glad to see it on the second disc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I've never heard most of the stuff on Disc Two (but agree with Franz about The Fixer) so it really is a great bonus for myself.

It also has Jarre's gorgeous end titles to Ressurrection, a score that I would love to see released.
  5. Is this Tadlow release going to be limited?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    I noticed that Milan Records have released The Sunchaser via download, a great (but very short) score he wrote for a Michael Cimino film in the 1990s. They've stuck it on the end of a concert album (which I remember hearing on the radio many years ago - excellent it was too).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 … mp;sr=1-35

Given how cheap it is, I think I'll pick it up.