• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Tried watching the first MM film. Hated it. Now way I would watch another.

The first is very enjoyable, albeit a bit crude. The second film is really the best - raw and uncomprimising and with terrific atmosphere. The third is an epic, over-the-top extravaganza with certain flaws, but still fun.

^
    Totally agree with this man. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Nah. Once you watch 30 minutes, you've seen it all. Reall, you can cut it down to a 30 minute presentation. Why would anybody want to see a film over 30 minutes long?

Beats me! You then have all the more time to do other things! biggrin

Not if you spend that time beating the same dead horse about 30 minute CDs, needlessly in random threads...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Nah. Once you watch 30 minutes, you've seen it all. Reall, you can cut it down to a 30 minute presentation. Why would anybody want to see a film over 30 minutes long?

Not if you spend that time beating the same dead horse about 30 minute CDs, needlessly in random threads...

I do it just for you, Justin. Just for you. kiss
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FANTASTIC NEWS

Excellent!!!
    Finally another must-buy!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see you still have energy enough to empty your wallet biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

I do it just for you, Justin. Just for you. kiss

Yeah, but after 30 minutes ... it should bother you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I see you still have energy enough to empty your wallet biggrin

Training.
    Training and perseverance.

The IOU Of The Tiger, my friend!

justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, but after 30 minutes ... it should bother you.

Meh. By that time the CD is over anyway, so why worry?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'The IOU of the tiger' Excellent! Excellent! biggrin
  3. Director George Miller is already in production of a 4th MAd Max film ("Fury Road").

With Jarre's passing, it makes one wonder who will compose. The last three composers he worked with: John Powell, Nigel Westlake, and Carl Vine. With Powell booked up on films, including likely to do the sequel animated film Miller is making, I'd rule him out.

Personally, I'd like to see Jarre's son given a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Director George Miller is already in production of a 4th MAd Max film ("Fury Road").

With Jarre's passing, it makes one wonder who will compose. The last three composers he worked with: John Powell, Nigel Westlake, and Carl Vine. With Powell booked up on films, including likely to do the sequel animated film Miller is making, I'd rule him out.

Personally, I'd like to see Jarre's son given a shot.

I assume you're talking about Jean Michel, not screenwriter Kevin Jarre. I'm not so sure about that, to be honest. First of all, JM doesn't really like to do film scores, in part because he doesn't want his work to be compared unfavourably to his father's. Second, his musical style sounds nothing like Maurice's (not even Maurice's shoddy synth scores).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I remember when this film was previously put in production (several years ago) Powell was actually announced as the composer. I have no idea if this film being made now is the same one that was abandoned then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And I would NOT like to see JMJ score it.
  4. Carl Vine would be an interesting choice. But I think, with the exception of the one potential project that he's keen to do, filmmakers might have seen the last of him. He gets the commissions he needs, and doesn't need to write music for people who have no feel for it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Southall wrote

Me neither. I'm a big fan of JMJ - particularly his earlier material - but his only film score I've come across (Les Granges Brulées) is completely unlistenable.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Me neither. I'm a big fan of JMJ - particularly his earlier material - but his only film score I've come across (Les Granges Brulées) is completely unlistenable.

I wouldn't call it unlistenable. It's got many nice tracks, even though as a pre-OXYGENE 1973 effort, it's pretty crude. However, "Zig-zag" is insanely annoying, I'll give you that. He's done a couple of more film/TV projects too (not counting the many appearances of his album music in various films), but none of them have been commercially released.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Carl Vine would be an interesting choice. But I think, with the exception of the one potential project that he's keen to do, filmmakers might have seen the last of him. He gets the commissions he needs, and doesn't need to write music for people who have no feel for it.

Well DAMMIT. angry
    That is very disillusioning.
  6. What's that potential project he's keen to do?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I wouldn't call it unlistenable. It's got many nice tracks, even though as a pre-OXYGENE 1973 effort, it's pretty crude. However, "Zig-zag" is insanely annoying, I'll give you that. He's done a couple of more film/TV projects too (not counting the many appearances of his album music in various films), but none of them have been commercially released.

The use of Oxygene in Peter Weir's 1981 film Gallipoli springs to mind. An incredibly anachronistic choice by Weir in an otherwise very good film, the first time I watched it my reaction was eh??? It nearly ruins the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

The use of Oxygene in Peter Weir's 1981 film Gallipoli springs to mind. An incredibly anachronistic choice by Weir in an otherwise very good film, the first time I watched it my reaction was eh??? It nearly ruins the film.

I haven't seen that film, so I don't know, but there have been some very effective uses of Jarre's music in other films, like "Ethnicolor" in SOMETHING WILD.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gallipoli is a very good film Thor, well worth your time watching ( and an early film of Mel Gibson ) but I suspect you would agree with me on Weir's choice of JMJ's music and to the scene it accompanies, it took me out of the film.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    What's that potential project he's keen to do?

You wouldn't know it. It's something an old producer friend of his is trying get funding for. A TV miniseries. Nothing big.

Mind you, if George Miller knocked on his door with a million dollars, it might change his mind. But BOOK OF REVELATION (of all films!) was the straw that broke the camel's back.
  8. What happened then?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Usual thing.

Mar: "We really want you to make the music of this film. Only your music can make it work."
    Jun: "Can you give it another go? Maybe make it more different to what it is now?"
    Sep: "Actually, can you try making it like the temp. We really like TAXI DRIVER at the moment. It's working for this film in a way we can't explain."
    Dec: "You're being really difficult about this. Maybe you should just take a hint and leave. We'd love to work together again sometime though."
    The day after: Someone else hired to score the film. Gets it right first go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited
    Finally from Tadlow:

MAURICE JARRE
    THE MESSAGE / LION OF THE DESERT
    Coming Soon from Tadlow Music

A Double CD featuring 2 of the greatest film scores from MAURICE JARRE :
    Composer of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, RYAN’S DAUGHTER,
    A PASSAGE TO INDIA, WITNESS.

THE MESSAGE (1976)
    The epic story, directed by Moustapha Akkad, about the birth if Islam starred ANTHONY QUINN, IRENE PAPAS and MICHAEL ANSARA
    The music was Nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Film Score

LION OF THE DESERT (1981)
    was another epic tale directed by Akkad, this time the film related the story of the struggle in the 1920’s by Libyans to free their country from the Italian invaders. ANTHONY QUINN starred as Omar Muhktar , the leader of the freedom fighters, with OLIVER REED as General Graziani and ROD STEIGER as Benito Mussolini.

2 CD Set with full Colour Booklet
    Limited Collectors Edition of 2000
    THE MESSAGE was remastered from the original album master tapes
    LION OF THE DESERT was remixed and remastered by from the original 24 track tapes
    Features for the first time the complete score for LION OF THE DESERT including alternative versions and all the source music
    140 Minutes of Music
    60 Minutes of Previously Unreleased Music
    Music Performed by THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA and THE LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA and CHORUS Conducted by MAURICE JARRE
    2 of the finest of all Maurice Jarre Epic Film Scores

BONUS FEATURE: THE WORLD PREMIERE RECORDING OF

GIUBILEO by MAURICE JARRE
    A Cantata for Symphony Orchestra and Large Choir

Composed for the Jubilee Celebrations of the Vatican
    12 Minute Work based on Jarre’s themes from LION OF THE DESERT, RIVER WILD and SOLAR CRISIS
    Performed by the acclaimed CITY OF PRAGUE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA and CHORUS

CD Produced buy JAMES FITZPATRICK

Catalogue Number: TADLOW008
    Release Date: March 22nd 2010

Track Listing:

CD 1: LION OF THE DESERT

1. Omar the Teacher (4:26)
    2. Prelude – Libya 1929 (2:24)
    3. The Execution of Hamid (5:04)
    4. Desert Ambush (1:46)
    5. Omar Enters Camp (4:15)
    6. The Empty Saddle (1:49)
    7. March to Demination (5:19)
    8. Ismail’s Sacrifice (2:36)
    9. I Must Go (2:27)
    10. Graziani’s Triumph (1:41)
    11. Entr’acte (2:19)
    12. Concentration Camp (3:15)
    13. Italian Invasion (1:32)
    14. Starvation (0:53)
    15. The Hanging (1:27)
    16. General Graziani (3:00)
    17. Charge (1:23)
    18. Phoney Triumph (4:38)
    19. Omar’s Wife (3:22)
    20. Omar Taken (2:38)
    21. The Death of Omar (1:38)
    22. March of Freedom – with Choir (3:59)

Bonus Tracks:
    23. Kufra (1:39)
    24. Charge – Alternative Version (1:53)
    25. The Wire (1:38)
    26. Omar’s Wife – Alternative Version (3:48)
    27. March of Freedom – Album Version (3:47)

tt: 71:14

CD 2: THE MESSAGE

1. The Message (3:09)
    2. Hegira (4:39)
    3. Building the First Mosque (2:33)
    4. The Sura (3:32)
    5. Presence of Mohammad (2:11)
    6. Entry to Mecca (3:14)
    7. The Declaration (2:39)
    8. The First Martyrs (2:26)
    9. Fight (4:11)
    10. The Spread of Islam (3:35)
    11. Broken Idols (3:40)
    12. The Faith of Islam (2:33)

Bonus Material

LION OF THE DESERT – Source Music
    13. Bedouin Wedding Music I (3:22)
    14. Bedouin Wedding Music II (2:08)

Dance Band Music
    15. Sfinge (0:47)
    16. Marcia Reale (0:24)
    17. Giovenezza (1:00)
    18. Canta Bajadera (2:08)
    19. Il Foxe Della Rose (3:10)

GIUBILEO – Cantata for Symphony Orchestra and Large Chorus
    20. Heri – Yesterday (4:08) PLAY SAMPLE
    21. Hodie – Today (4:01)
    22. Semper – Always (4:05)

tt: 63:42

COMING SOON

MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME
    MAURICE JARRE
    2 CD Set of The Complete Original Soundtrack Score
    Release: Spring 2010

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
    World Premiere New Recording of the Complete Score by
    MAURICE JARRE
    The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted by Nic Raine
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    Antineutrino wrote

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
    MAURICE JARRE

Looking forward to this!
  10. Anthony wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
    MAURICE JARRE

Looking forward to this!

Me too. I only have the original recording which sounds really bad even for a 1962 film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I have the Silva Screen re-recording of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, which I'm perfectly happy with, so I won't be buying this new edition. I am very much looking forward to MAD MAX, though. Haven't heard the score, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    Finally from Tadlow ...

All of this is FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

And those of you who aren't / care much for Jarre should check out MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME because it'll kick your arse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    I have the Silva Screen re-recording of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, which I'm perfectly happy with, so I won't be buying this new edition. I am very much looking forward to MAD MAX, though. Haven't heard the score, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about this.

IMHO, that Silva re-recording is lifeless. This NEW recording should offer superior sonics and an orchestra that has really come a long way from their disastrous early film music recordings. If you just listen to their latest output for Taldow alone (Exodus, El Cid, etc) then you can see why getting the new LEWRENCE recording would be nothing but essential!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm... I know there's a lot of criticism towards that recording. Maybe I'll purchase this one as well, depending on the reactions once it's released... But the Silva Screen will not be replaced, since that one is signed my Jarre himself.