• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Can we let it go another day? I haven't had a chance to sit down with the clips a second time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008
    I vote for more time too. At the moment, I believe, that I might just be the single busiest guy on this planet.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Can you let it run till Monday? I'll give these a listen today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's end it NOW. This isn't a democracy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, Alan, if you don't mind, leave it running for a couple of days more, some people want to play but won't come around those games usually before weekends. Let it roll a bit more smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I'll leave this one running 'til Monday/Tuesday.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008
    Thanks! I sent my answers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008 edited
    I recognised one of those straight away even without listening to the clip. And I know why there's an audio error in the clip moon
  3. Update:

franz_conrad - 27 points
    Southall - 22 points
    Demetris - 13 points
    Bregt - 11 point
    Tommy_Boy - 10 points
    DemonStar - 2 points

Any response from James?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Do we have a winner already?

BhelPuri - 36 points
    franz_conrad - 27 points
    Southall - 22 points
    Demetris - 13 points
    Bregt - 11 point
    Tommy_Boy - 10 points
    DemonStar - 2 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I don't have time to play anyway. I have an exam on thursday and I have about 12 hours of studying every day, so I only have time to stop for eating and toilet visits (oh, and this post).

I'm sure I would have won though.

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Dont you skip exams? tongue wink

The best for the exam!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2008 edited
    Indeed, that's why I have to take this one, because I skipped the main exam 3 months ago and this is the re-exam. Sadly I don't have the option of skipping it this time. sad *sniff*

Peter wink
  5. I concede on this one. I have no more guesses in store.

Good luck with the exam, Peter! beer
  6. BP scrapes another 2 points and is very close to a clean sweep!!

BhelPuri - 38 points
    franz_conrad - 27 points
    Southall - 22 points
    Demetris - 13 points
    Bregt - 11 point
    Tommy_Boy - 10 points
    DemonStar - 2 points

I shall post the answers sometime later this evening - maybe in about 5-6 hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Good luck with the exam, Peter! beer

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. beer

Peter smile
  7. Game over!!

BhelPuri - 38 points
    franz_conrad - 27 points
    Southall - 22 points
    Demetris - 13 points
    Bregt - 11 point
    Tommy_Boy - 10 points
    DemonStar - 2 points

Congratulations to BhelPuri for an almost flawless set of suggestions!

01 - Metropolis (1927) - Gottfried Huppertz
    The imagery that accompanies this particular use of the "Dies Irae" is a highlight of the movie: Death and The Seven Deadly Sins as cathedral statues coming to life, the flute/piccolo being Death "playing" what looks likfe a leg bone and the cymbal crashes being synchronised with Death's sweeps with his scythe.

02 - Young Bess (1953) - Miklós Rózsa
    I love the agitated strings playing out the familiar tune and then it changes feel completely to become almost sympathetic! The orchestration with the low strings towards the end shouts out "Rózsa!".

03 - Garden of Evil (1954) - Bernard Herrmann
    And it's the strings at the beginning of this clip that suggests - to me at least - Bernard Herrmann. This clip, from "The Church" is taken from the Marco Polo re-recording (twinned with Prince of Players).

04 - Between Heaven and Hell (1956) - Hugo Friedhofer
    I know that I've included this clip before in clip contests, I think that this is one of the best uses of "Dies Irae" in film scoring. Here's the main titles for the movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDikf0irJtc

05 - Jason and The Argonauts (1963) - Bernard Herrmann
    And here's another great use! Herrmann's orchestrations are spine-chilling and brings the whole scene to life (not the magic displayed on-screen!) Watching the clip from the movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYeZMx1Y7U - I'd love to see the original score released (if it is available).

06 - Becket (1964) - Laurence Rosenthal
    I'm not familiar with this movie at all. But the interplay between the chants and the low woodwinds is quite novel. Most people guessed this clip correctly.

07 - Escalation (1968) - Ennio Morricone
    shocked It could only be Morricone!!

08 - The Mephisto Waltz (1971) - Jerry Goldsmith
    This is definitely the Devil's work with Goldsmith's disturbing instrumentation.

09 - Obsession (1976) - Bernard Herrmann
    Herrmann again uses "Dies Irae" in the cue "Cemetry" from the, so far unreleased, Brian De Palma film. But this time playing out the music delicately on harp.

10 - The Medusa Touch (1978) - Michael J Lewis
    Lewis' music can throw out lots of clues in the familiar orchestrations he tends to use. The "Dies Irae" isn't used much in this clip but it's quite dramatic. Movie clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJkXzFfB2o - with the contest clip appearing ~2:40 into the YouTube clip. A sequence renowned for the bouncing masonry!!

11 - The Shining (1980) - Wendy Carlos
    There were so many examples of the use of "Dies Irae" to choose from I settled on the grand opening statement. I can't recall how much of Carlos' music remained in the final mix. I notice that there's a new DVD release of this movie and I may just pick it up and take a look.

12 - Heavy Metal (1981) - Elmer Bernstein
    Hearing this reference in this score when it arrived the other day was one of the shoves that got me putting together these clips.

13 - Poltergeist - (1982) - Jerry Goldsmith
    A great - and subtle - use of "Dies Irae" in a great vintage Goldsmith score.

14 - Conan The Barbarian (1982) - Basil Poledouris
    This clip lasts for 1:38 only because I couldn't find an appropriate place to stop the clip - it just seemed wrong to cut Poledouris' tour-de-force in mid-flow.

15 - Marie Ward (1985) - Elmer Bernstein
    My mentioning earlier that the beginning of this clip reminded me of Shore's Lord of The Rings prompted Michael to comment on this - but said he would defer these comments until after the game ended. Feel free to now comment as I am very intgerested to hear what you have to say...

16 - Demolition Man (1993) - Elliot Goldenthal
    Googling with "Goldenthal" and "Dies Irae" was bound to have Demolition Man pop up as "Dies Irae" is the title of this track. I think everyone at least identified Goldenthal!!

17 - Needful Things (1993) - Patrick Doyle
    The majority of people identified this clip - I'm not sure I would have. Is there some artifact noise on this track or is it quiet percussion?

18 - The Lion King (1994) - Hans Zimmer
    It was pointed out to me by DemonStar that there's an "audio fault" in this bootleg version of the "Dies Irae" featured - it's playing too slow. I'd forgotten that this features on the commercial release - but one of the children has the copy and they can't remember where it's gone.

19 - Padre Pio (2000) - Ennio Morricone
    Unsurprisingly most people could hear Morricone's "sound" in this track, but the score itself is not too well known as the CD is quite difficult to get a hold of. Is it the unusual rhythm that the composer introduces to the piece that makes it difficult (for me at least) to be sure that this actually is a "Dies Irae" reference?)

20 - Giant Robo (2001) - Masamichi Amano
    It's sometimes difficult to keep track on when certain versions of movies are released never mind when the music for these movies appears (the various versions of movies such as Ringu and Ju-on are good examples). But apparently, the Giant Robo series was aired originally back in the early '90s, with the music being available on CD only much more recently. It's a beautiful version - in the main. There's some of the staccato male voice passages that sound a bit stilted and forced.

I hope that people enjoyed hearing these various versions of the "Dies Irae" as used in film. There is a Hallowe'en FSM podcast that talks about the use of this music in films and I was dismayed that so many of the clips I had identified were mentioned in this podcast. So if anyone had paid attention when Michael mentioned the same podcast when he had a clip from Michael Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony then they would have had a head start here.

Now that these scores are in the open, I'd be interested to hear of other movies that use the "Dies Irae".
  8. And a good game it was! I must confess that the FSM podcast greased the rails for me, but somehow I missed MARIE WARD (I thought this was a sixties score for some reason) and YOUNG BESS (wasn't listening closely enough).

I believe one of the reasons JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS was re-recorded by Intrada, by the way, was due to the fact that the original tracks were no longer in existence.

I'll get the next game going... should be up by this time tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008
    Good game. Thanks Alan! I might have been able to pick up a few more points if I'd had some more guesses, but I never would have caught Bhel.

I can't believe I didn't get Between Heaven and Hell though - a phenomenal Friedhofer score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hard game, again showing my lack of knowledge in certain places of time.
    Kazoo
  9. Bregt wrote
    Hard game, again showing my lack of knowledge in certain places of time.

Hopefully though it was interesting to hear a familiar piece of music being used to such great effect in films.
  10. I've sent the new clips to Bregt. The clues are all ready. I have to go to sleep now, but I will put them up first chance I get in the morning - the links should be ready by then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thanks for a good game, Alan. I thought the hints helped big time!
    That was an interesting set of clips and I'm going to have to check out more Friedhofer. I think I have just 1 or 2 of his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008 edited
    Sorry I couldn't participate. It was a great game though. Just listened to all the clips and realize that I would probably have gotten a very average score. I'd have recognized the two Morricones, the Conan, the Marie Ward, the Shining one and not much else.

This game shows me how musically inept I can be sometimes though, for instance I can't even hear the Dies irae in the Conan clip. And the catchy harpsichord cue from Padre Pio, it had never occured to me before that it was Dies irae, but it's quite obvious.... only now that it has been pointed out to me.

Peter cow