• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Michael, when are you finally revealing the answers? 'Cause this final clip is driving me crazy!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not yet I hope! I still have some more answers to give.
  2. I will hold off another 24 hours... It's already Friday here, but I'll wait until Friday in the US.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Speaking of clip 9 - the one Alan can't get - looking back over the director's track record of 7-8 films, I realised that it's misleading to describe him as working with 'so many of the great composers'. He's worked with THREE of the great composers, and has worked with another composer whose is certainly good (and on that film, was very good). Interestingly enough, all 4 of these composers are Oscar recipients (1 of them received an award, but did not win it), and 2 of them are famously multiple Oscar recipients. The composer of clip 9 was one of the latter.
  4. Alan finally gets that last two points! In celebration of this, I have added one point to everyone else's score.

Falkirkbairn - 40 points
    Southall - 25 points
    BhelPuri - 22 points
    Plindboe - 18 points
    Tommy - 7 points
    Christodoulides - 4 points

Answers will be up in 10 hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Alan finally gets that last two points! In celebration of this, I have added one point to everyone else's score.

Woo-hoo! I think this means that in theory I can get up to 41 points!
  5. James puts in one last energetic run:

Falkirkbairn - 40 points
    Southall - 35 points
    BhelPuri - 22 points
    Plindboe - 18 points
    Tommy - 7 points
    Christodoulides - 4 points

Answers will be up in an hour.
  6. And the answers...

1. Bernard Herrmann, THE WRONG MAN (Hitchcock)
    2. David Amram, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (Frankenheimer)
    3. Michael Small, KLUTE (Pakula)
    4. Lalo Schifrin, THX-1138 (Lucas)
    5. David Shire, THE CONVERSATION (Coppola)
    6. Jerry Goldsmith, CAPRICORN ONE (Hyams)
    7. Michael Small, THE STAR CHAMBER (?)
    8. Michael Kamen, BRAZIL (Gilliam)
    9. Maurice Jarre, JACOB'S LADDER (Lyne)
    10. John Williams, NIXON (Stone)
    11. Danny Elfman, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (DePalma)
    12. Howard Shore, THE GAME (Fincher)
    13. Ennio Morricone, LOLITA (Lyne)
    14. Jocelyn Pook, EYES WIDE SHUT (Kubrick)
    15. Don Davis, THE MATRIX (Wachowskis - this track is called 'They're coming to get you')
    16. James Newton Howard, SIGNS (Shyamalan)
    17. Jon Brion, I HEART HUCKABEES (O'Russell)
    18. Rachel Portman, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (Demme)
    19. Jeremy Sams, ENDURING LOVE (Mitchell)
    20. John Williams, MUNICH (Spielberg)

Congratulations to Alan for beating a tough bunch!
  7. damn, I heard several of these before, I should've known a couple more confused
    Ah well, at least I didn't finish last tongue
    Thanks Franz for a good yet again hard again, I must browse up on my older scores angry

If everyone's okay with it, I can start up a game tomorrow morning
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. It was a hard game, by virtue of the genre. While some of the above are among the most famous films of all time, suspense music is always harder to 'get into'. (Though in the last few years, I found I've acquired a real taste for it.) Thanks everyone for participating!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    Damn. I should have got 14 and 16. I don't think I would ever have got 17 though. I even googled the lyrics and nothing useful came up.
  9. Southall wrote
    Damn. I should have got 14 and 16. I don't think I would ever have got 17 though. I even googled the lyrics and nothing useful came up.

I think that I also googled the lyrics but, unlike yourself, I think I came up trumps!

It was a good game in that there were a wide range of levels of difficulty. I think I identified 12 from the clips alone and then it was a detective hunt for the rest. The JACOB'S LADDER clip was interesting and I wouldn't have gotten it if it were not for Michael's final clue. Then it was just a case of finding all the multi-Oscar winners and going through them one-by-one. But when I came to the Jarre movie and then checked the director's filmography, together with the non-melodic score I was pretty sure that it would be this movie.

This, I feel, was my moment of glory!!

Thomas, go right ahead. punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nice job Alan! I found the game very difficult so I'm amazed you managed to guess them all!

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

Someone needs to practice their Google Fu. I found it using Google rather quickly.

Peter smile
  10. I assumed google was how so many people figured out the THX 1138 cue. Or did you all seriously know that one? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I had to ask Google that one too. It's a catchy song though. I doubt it will ever leave my head.

Peter shame
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    I assumed google was how so many people figured out the THX 1138 cue. Or did you all seriously know that one? wink

I did know that one - I quite like the FSM album. It's such a weird listening experience - and quite memorable!! I think the fact that a lot of these scores - particularly the earlier ones - are quite distinctive was one of the reasons I did so well.

More recent scores seem to be a lot more "samey".