• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008 edited
    Let's see, on the composer of the year category i pretty much agree; but

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE of the YEAR

- 3:10 TO YUMA BY MARCO BELTRAMI

With time and more repeated listens, i can't help but to think that this score is very overrated, imo.

- ATONEMENT BY DARIO MARIANELLI
    - THE KITE RUNNER BY ALBERTO IGLESIAS

Completely agree.

- THERE WILL BE BLOOD BY JONNY GREENWOOD

Couldn't understand how this score got so many fans.

- WALL-E BY THOMAS NEWMAN

Now, no matter how enjoyable SOME parts of it are, this is a score nobody could convince me it's actually one of the year's best efforts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

- WALL-E BY THOMAS NEWMAN

Now, no matter how enjoyable SOME parts of it are, this is a score nobody could convince me it's actually one of the year's best efforts.

Now the last time you said something like that, it was before you saw ATONEMENT. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Now the last time you said something like that, it was before you saw ATONEMENT. tongue

Well yeah, you're right and i haven't seen WALL-E yet but i don't think it ranks up there with ATONEMENT as both film and score anyway? Don't know, will watch and see how the musical experience i'll further gain from the score CD will alter and if that will be positive but i am under the impression that ATONEMENT as a cd had many more things going on even prior watching the film, in relation to WALL-E on CD.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Well yeah, you're right and i haven't seen WALL-E yet but i don't think it ranks up there with ATONEMENT as both film and score anyway? Don't know, will watch and see how the musical experience i'll further gain from the score CD will alter and if that will be positive but i am under the impression that ATONEMENT as a cd had many more things going on even prior watching the film, in relation to WALL-E on CD.

I think the only reason people consider it one of the years best is because it's been one lackluster year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I think the only reason people consider it one of the years best is because it's been one lackluster year!

That's perhaps the most logical thing i've heard in many days now.
  2. I think I would vote for:

FILM COMPOSER of the YEAR
    (award can be presented in respect of one film or a body of work in the year)

Probably Alexandre Desplat. Though I can't say that would be entirely because of GOLDEN COMPASS. It would partly be to do with his other recent scores as well.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE of the YEAR

This one's easier. THERE WILL BE BLOOD for me.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG WRITTEN DIRECTLY FOR FILM

I don't particularly care. Nothing jumps out at me there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    And Discovery of the Year

- Tuur Florizoone for 'Aanrijding in Moscou'
    - Mark Kilian for 'Before the Rains'
    - Mark Streitenfeld for 'American Gangster'
    - Velasquez Fernando for 'El Orfanato' (aka The Orphanage)
    - Benjamin Wallfisch for 'The Escapist'
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    There's only a week left to vote for your favourite score between July 1st 2007 and June 30th 2008.

Vote here:
    http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.be/awards2.cgi

I till don't know what to choose. I haven't thought much about it either.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    I picked the Assassination of Jesse James. That score lifted the whole film to another level and it's one of the few scores that I can play all night long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    It is one excellent musical accompaniment for sure.
  3. Bregt wrote
    And Discovery of the Year

- Tuur Florizoone for 'Aanrijding in Moscou'
    - Mark Kilian for 'Before the Rains'
    - Mark Streitenfeld for 'American Gangster'
    - Velasquez Fernando for 'El Orfanato' (aka The Orphanage)
    - Benjamin Wallfisch for 'The Escapist'

for what I heard of them, The Orphanage is truly a great piece, so let it win wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I voted Christian Henson's Zomerhitte as my favorite score. I know, I know, I'm most likely the only one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep wrote
    I voted Christian Henson's Zomerhitte as my favorite score. I know, I know, I'm most likely the only one...

Why? (for someone who obviously has no idea about the score and composer)
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Because I have this urge to vote for a (national) Dutch score, even when there are more appropriate foreign choices. But I do like the score a lot of obviously wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How is it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    So, who is going?
    I'm not looking forward to this concert in particular, but the event altogether is always nice and so is meeting up... I haven't really thought about it yet and it's september already.
  4. I'm going, as I have been going the last 2 years now, looking forward to another wonderful event
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    I'm going to 4 concerts!

Yareds, Mansells, Williams and WSA. No reason to miss those when you live as close as I do.

Bregje, you know that WSA afterwards was always much better than what you expect it to be (except for anti-climax after the event last year obviously) but the concert is always worth the money!

Party! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yes, it would be a good opportunity to get more familiar with music by Badalamenti and Marianellia well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    4...CONCERTS............4...........4?! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Yes, it would be a good opportunity to get more familiar with music by Badalamenti and Marianellia well...

Definitely! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    4...CONCERTS............4...........4?! shocked

See the banner about the film music festival of Ghent on the front page. wink
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    I'm going to 4 concerts!

Yareds, Mansells, Williams and WSA. No reason to miss those when you live as close as I do.

Bregje, you know that WSA afterwards was always much better than what you expect it to be (except for anti-climax after the event last year obviously) but the concert is always worth the money!

Party! punk

I'm going to 3 of those 4, Yared's is the only one I will not attend
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I'm going to 4 concerts!

Party! punk

Why? shocked confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I'm going to 4 concerts!

Party! punk

Why? shocked confused

I found that odd too. I think Yared's would be my priority.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I'm going to 4 concerts!

Party! punk

Why? shocked confused

just the taste I guess, I don't know Yared that well, and even though this is a fine way to get to know his smaller works, I'm just not that interested
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You may be missing out on some great music Thomas!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed man, take this opportunity and believe me, you'll be thanking us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Concert details:

- Badalamenti will be awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award
    - He brings two ladies, Siouxsie Sioux and Beth Rowley who'll both perform a song, one of which is "Careless Love" from The Edge of Love
    - Our Belgian composer Tuur Fluurizone will be part of the concert programme as well, performing music from his score to Aanrijding in Moscou (which translated is something like "Accident in Moscou")
    - The concert will also include music from the due Daniel Terrab and Andres Goldstein
    - Shigeru Umebayashi has been added to the guest list, as well as Trevor Jones

No program details yet, but looks like a varied evening again!
    Kazoo