• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    Miya wrote
    30 minutes...

Mickey Records believes kids will die if they listen more than 30 minutes of music without songs... slant

That's why there's a clear warning label on the cover:

DO NOT LISTEN TO ALBUM TWICE A ROW. SEVERE INJURY MAY RESULT, SUCH AS MASSIVE ENJOYMENT. DISNEY CORP. IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LOSS OF DEPENDENCY ON LYRICS THIS ACTION MAY CAUSE.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I loathe Disney!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    The feeling could be mutual.

*cometh at you with a baseball bat with nails protruding from the tip is an angry Goofy followed by ninja-star-throwing Chip & Dale*
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll level with ya ......I'm scared! shocked

You can't kill "toons".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. This is so MUCH NOT like Horton btw. Take that Steven wink

Very enjoyable sound clips.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    I'll level with ya ......I'm scared! shocked

You can't kill "toons".

Christopher Lloyd would disagree.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed. This is so MUCH NOT like Horton btw. Take that Steven wink

Very enjoyable sound clips.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. They sound very similar to me. And most of all, mickey-mousing! Your arch nemesis!

Edit: and the comparison works now too (the link was broken).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't hear much mickey-mousing. I head lots of action cues and melody in the amazon links.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well we'll find out on Monday. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    @Anthony
    Why did you remove the (direct) link to your John Powell site from your signature? shocked No Powell fan anymore?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas wrote
    @Anthony
    Why did you remove the (direct) link to your John Powell site from your signature? shocked No Powell fan anymore?

Because there's not enough space for the URLs to both the Powell site and my little Lost project. Frankly, The Four Trombones has taken higher priority as since Hancock, it's been dead quiet on the Powell side of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Miya wrote
    30 minutes...

Mickey Records believes kids will die if they listen more than 30 minutes of music without songs... slant

That's why there's a clear warning label on the cover:

DO NOT LISTEN TO ALBUM TWICE A ROW. SEVERE INJURY MAY RESULT, SUCH AS MASSIVE ENJOYMENT. DISNEY CORP. IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LOSS OF DEPENDENCY ON LYRICS THIS ACTION MAY CAUSE.

LOL biggrin
  1. Hi folks

Here's my review of BOLT if you're interested:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/boltcd.htm

Jon smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    Woah, somebody likes Powell! wink It's a good, fun score. A pleasant listening experience and i like it. Although Powell seems to be running out of tricks fast, a change of pallet would be so welcome.
  2. Can anybody tell me who COMPOSED Barking at the Moon?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    Hancock as the years best, Jon? shocked

Christodoulides wrote
    Although Powell seems to be running out of tricks fast, a change of pallet would be so welcome.

I think Bolt is pretty music scraping the barrel for new ideas.
  3. The best by Powell, yes. Not the best overall.
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    I like Stop-Loss. I've been listening to it a lot since it was released.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ColSharpe wrote

That's the most underrated Powell score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anthony wrote
    ColSharpe wrote

That's the most underrated Powell score of the year.

It's underrated, it sure is, and deserves more attention. But I still vote for Horton Hears a Who for the year's best. Not just the year's best Powell, but the year's best score overall! At least so far.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Um, I'm Steven.

shocked

I thought you were Spartacus!

I'M Spartacus!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    justin boggan wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Um, I'm Steven.

shocked

I thought you were Spartacus!

I'M Spartacus!

I'm Spartacus and so's my wife.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    I appreciated Stop-Loss, certainly, but it's not one I would choose to listen to very often. Hancock has some terrific moments and is easily Powell's best of the year I think (though I haven't heard Bolt yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    STOP LOSS, having also watched the movie it accompanies, is easily the best Powell effort from this year, imo. I revisit it frequently.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I like Stop-Loss. It has its moments, especially the amazing finale, but I don't come back to it as much as his more energetic works such as Horton or Hancock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That main theme is so strong, heart-wrenching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    Powell's orchestrator John Ashton Thomas was interviewed at Animated Views! shocked

Animated Views » Bolt: John Ashton Thomas - one bold, Bolt orchestrator!

Animated Views is really becoming a nice place for animation & film music fans... lick
    They did lots of interviews including film composers.
    http://www.animated-views.com/category/ … f-the-art/
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008 edited
    From the Sleeping Beauty restoration article -

"...when we started restoring this, we also do audio restorations which I think if you listen to any of the DVDs, we’ve gone back and we’ve cleaned up the tracks and done what we’ve called a Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, which is kind of trying to do a surround spread. Obviously with other titles we’re limited to the mono mix and could only do a ‘fake’ spread, but with this particular title, when we started researching the elements and picked out the sound elements to do the cleanup and the mix, we found these original score recordings that were recorded in Berlin in 1958, the original 3-track. And it was like, ‘Wooh, gold, we found it.’ So, what we did is take those 35mm 3-tracks of the music scoring. We digitized them into Pro-Tools. We then had a music editor and match cut those to what was in the movie. We cleaned it up, we reduced the noise, we equalized it, and then we gave it to our Academy Award-nominated mixer Terry Porter, who does all of our animated Platinum mixes, and he was able to do an amazing 5.1 and 7.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix.

Obviously, the 7.1 is unique to the Blu-ray and I have this incredible theatrical demo that I do where I playback the original version of the movie - which is beautiful and nice - and then we open it up to the 7.1. And it’s a great - it’s an incredible experience. The music surrounds you, especially if you think about setting this up in your home theater, you’re going to be just completely surrounded by this beautiful score. And that is just a great bonus that you get. You’d still get the 5.1 on standard DVD, but the 7.1 truly is a unique experience and we were so lucky to have these original 3-track recordings. That really made the difference. We were able to do this.”

Oh gosh, fingers crossed for an isolated score track!! Hopefully for Bolt too tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    confused

What does this have to do with John Powell? Bolt?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Nothing, just found it in the same section of articles as the Bolt's orchestrator interview.