• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008
    I can see what you mean, Ralph. But if that kind of series were made today, we all know what the score would be like - themeless, "modern", electronic. Conti's kind of generic beats today's kind of generic on every day of the week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008 edited
    Well, it is, of course, a "classical" composition, but have we come so far that we have to consider everything done in that style to be good because of the style alone? Not really.

We can all sit here and cry about the slow and painful disappearing of the "classical" scores as you would define them, but the earlier we accept that new era as a given, the sooner we´ll be able to deal with it.

There will always be movies and series done with a "classical" approach, but there is nothing to be done about the fact that scoring has changed and probably will change again and again. I´m quite happy that scores are as diverse today as they are.

I really like what they did for The Tudors, for example; I certainly wouldn´t consider that a classical approach, but there are themes in it, very recognisable and atmospheric, and I like the sound fabric they create for that series very much. And there is lots of good stuff done on TV at the moment; I never would have thought that I would like a score for a Battlestar Galactica series that lacks the "classical" approach, but I do, and what they did for CSI Las Vegas last year was absolutely fantastic stuff, much superior, I think, to the awefully generic TV stuff they did back in the Eighties´ crime series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, it is, of course, a "classical" composition, but have we come so far that we have to consider everything done in that style to be good because of the style alone? Not really.

Absolutely! But North and South is good because it's well-composed, full of great themes, stirringly well-performed.
  1. Well, it´s fun, yes. But it doesn´t give me more beyond that, contrary to Masters of the Universe or The Right Stuff or Rocky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rocky doesn't do much for me, I must admit, beyond the main theme. I do like the other two though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NORTH and SOUTH is rather magnificent indeed but 4 CDs is too much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The original LP release, with one side devoted to North & South and the other to The Right Stuff does me just fine.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've got the CD of that but when I turn it over to play Side B, nothing happens. Stupid Varese, again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    God, you are SUCH a n00b, James.
    Everyone knows that when you turn a CD over, all the music falls out!

rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Roflmao.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin biggrin biggrin
  2. Southall wrote
    Rocky doesn't do much for me, I must admit, beyond the main theme. I do like the other two though.

true, Rocky one is a bit mellow, but Rocky 2 is brilliant, the fanfares in that piece blows your mind away
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Southall wrote

true, Rocky one is a bit mellow, but Rocky 2 is brilliant, the fanfares in that piece blows your mind away

The first and original ROCKY punk

Delivers knock punches to the follow ups with ease! So one sided it's like putting Woody Allen against Mike Tyson biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Bill Conti: The Perfect Game

Rocky composer Bill Conti makes another return to a film genre he knows very well: sports movies. Conti has composed the score for The Perfect Game, the upcoming baseball movie directed by William Dear, whose previous credits include Angels in the Outfield (which is also about baseball) and Harry and the Hendersons.

More info at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -game.html
  3. Conti is always great at sports films. But no doubt that there won't be a score album... sad
  4. oh cool, I like Conti when he brings his trumpets at the forefront, hopefully the music turns up another winner and that there's an album to prove it
  5. What was the last Conti score album? I don't think I listened to film music then. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Masters of the Universe tracklisting:

TracksDisc 1:
    1. MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Main Title / It's All Mine (5:19)
    2. Quick Escape (2:48)
    3. Battle In Greyskull (2:36)
    4. Arrival On Earth (Not Used In Film) (1:09)
    5. Where Is The Key (0:42)
    6. The Cemetery (1:26)
    7. Getting A Bearing (1:01)
    8. The Mercenaries (1:20)
    9. Battle At The Gym (6:24)
    10. Skeletor's Wrath (3:00)
    11. Evel-Lyn To Earth (1:04)
    12. Kevin's Plight (3:35)
    13. It's Them! / Centurion Attack (4:27)
    14. Julie Sees Mom / Julie Takes Key (2:38)
    15. Skeletor Arrives / After Them (7:28)
    16. He-Man's Last Battle? / Skeletor Departs (3:49)
    17. Julie's Muzak (1:46)
    18. He-Man Gets Whipped (3:58)
    19. Kevin Remembers The Tune / People Of Eternia (3:50)
    Disc Total: 58:20

Disc 2:
    1. Cosmic Key Music (0:14)
    2. The Battle Begins / The Final Battle (6:52)
    3. Time To Go (2:41)
    4. Julie And Kevin / Happy Ending (1:57)
    5. MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE End Credits (5:10)
    6. Main Title / Eternia Besieged (7:22)
    7. Gwildor's Quadrille (1:50)
    8. Earthly Encounter (4:21)
    9. Procession Of The Mercenaries (2:47)
    10. Evel-Lyn's Deception (2:42)
    11. Skeletor The Destroyer (3:09)
    12. He-Man Enslaved (4:40)
    13. Transformation Of Skeletor (2:28)
    14. The Power Of Grayskull (3:31)
    15. Good Journey (4:38)
    16. He-Man Victorious / End Title (5:10)
    Disc Total: 59:32

Total time: 117:52

http://www.fmdb.de/release/masters-univ … 1461v.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    It's a really good - if highly-derivative - score I think. Two hours is probably too much for me, but I guess most people will lap it up. Highly recommended for anyone who likes the Independence Day / Cutthroat Island style of scoring.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    Southall wrote
    It's a really good - if highly-derivative - score I think. Two hours is probably too much for me, but I guess most people will lap it up. Highly recommended for anyone who likes the Independence Day / Cutthroat Island style of scoring.

Don't forget Superman. That main theme is one big Superman rip off! Oh ya, Fans of Ben-Hur will dig a few of the cues that feature a note for note rip off the "Miracle theme"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    Well, it's sold out, although still available at some of the other sites like moviemusic.com and sae. This is one of the releases of the year for me. One of my favorite Conti's, a genuine classic, even if there is a fair amount of temp track lift.

Hope everyone managed to secure a copy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    Well, it's sold out, although still available at some of the other sites like moviemusic.com and sae. This is one of the releases of the year for me. One of my favorite Conti's, a genuine classic, even if there is a fair amount of temp track lift.

Hope everyone managed to secure a copy.

Wouldn't say it's a genuine classic but it's a boat load of fun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    Its one of the best from the 80s as far as I'm concerned. Certainly one of Conti's best from the decade.
  6. Shockingly not sold out yet

UNCLE JOE SHANNON

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 96
    Date: 1978
    Tracks: 09
    Time = 39:49

World CD premiere of original soundtrack from Joseph C. Hanwright drama about down-on-his-luck trumpet player, starring Burt Young (who also scripted), Doug McKeon, Madge Sinclair. Bill Conti engages incredible artistry of Maynard Ferguson, then writes flamboyant score for trumpet & orchestra using modern jazz vernacular. Soaring themes give legendary trumpeter ample room to display his 'chops' in extreme high register. Conti produces strong LP in 1978, emphasizes lengthy tracks for maximum listening pleasure. Intrada premieres 1978 album on CD from original masters vaulted at MGM. Bill Conti conducts.

Intrada Special Collection release limited to 1000 copies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Anyone familiar with this and able to offer any comments?
  7. haven't got the faintest clue, but it's Conti so it will not be bad smile
  8. I thought it was time for another decent update, so:

- The Karate Kid
    - The Karate Kid II
    - The Karate Kid III
    - The Next Karate Kid
    - Masters of the Universe
    - Rocky II
    - Rookie of the Year

Have a very merry weekend wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    A new Conti score has been released by Buysoundtrax-
    Murderers Among us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story
    http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/muamussiwest.html

The samples sound pretty good. There's a bit of Adagio for Strings and a bit of Ennio. I might get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    I have the old album - it's lovely. (But there's actually more than a bit of Ennio quoted in there!)