• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    Southall wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    (BTW James, you need to resurrect the old reviews which you said you had lost. You know you can retrieve the text from web archive, right?)

I know, and I was going to use it... but then I read them. Most of them are pretty awful and would need re-writing.

But, but, but.... altleast the Morricone reviews? Some of those comments like the one about the producers of What Dreams May Come and an 8 week old burnt toast are priceless cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    I do have a template of sorts when I sit down to write a review. I try to give a little background about the film in the first paragraph, a description of the style of music in the second paragraph, and some information about the quality of the recording, and a general opinion of the music. When it is possible to do so a viewing of the film goes along with the review process. However, as pointed out, this is not always possible http://sdtom.wordpress.com/ My last review is an excellent example. I would love to watch this film but the odds are slim or none. And we must always remember that the music was written for some sort of film. It might sound awful away from the film but really does provide what is necessary when we are watching.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    I find reviews useful, because when I am done purchasing the usual suspects, I will look at Daish and Southall and Broxton and see hwat they wrote about lesser-known scores from said composers. Of course, I use sound clips too, but unfortuantely some of the limited companies don't provide as many sound clips as others. As far as NEW stuff is concerned, I don't really read reviews on that (other than to pass time or be entertained) because the new stuff usually has clips, as well as I tend to see some of those movies, or know if the composer is someone i usually tend to like...so yes, southall is the best cause he actually reviews limited intrada and varese stuff (but where's the review of FIST?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Some recent thoughts on the subject matter (and not limited to) that might interest some; or not wink

@ http://christodoulides.blogspot.com
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    Thanks for the read!

You make good points (I haven't really read this topic actually, so I can't compare). I was also thinking that perhaps there must be more focus on the lesser known scores out there. But it's harder to get these and I also don't know where to start.
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    I was also thinking that perhaps there must be more focus on the lesser known scores out there. But it's harder to get these and I also don't know where to start.

Bregt, I am planning to make a start on some reviews to more obscure scores. Honest! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Bregt wrote
    Thanks for the read!

You make good points (I haven't really read this topic actually, so I can't compare). I was also thinking that perhaps there must be more focus on the lesser known scores out there. But it's harder to get these and I also don't know where to start.

how more obscure can you get with Joep's music? tongue
    I think it is wonderful to explore everything and every facette of the music, but be that as it may, the big Hollywood music and scores are still what everybody wants. As a reviewer it is vital to explore them, but they musn't forget the smaller unknown music too.

I think what we are doing is just that, we are focussing on everything. Hence the reason MainTitles is the best smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    Yes, I think it's much better to focus on everything, not just all the big scores that everyone knows about. However, not all good music is found only in the big scores, which is the reason to go for the smaller ones, too. I am really enjoying the reviews. Keep 'em coming! biggrin
  3. TheTelmarine wrote
    Yes, I think it's much better to focus on everything, not just all the big scores that everyone knows about. However, not all good music is found only in the big scores, which is the reason to go for the smaller ones, too. I am really enjoying the reviews. Keep 'em coming! biggrin

glad to hear that, hope everyone else is enjoying them too
    I especially like the way Bregt brings one various label after another tongue
    Reviews is like a box of chocolates! You never know what you're gonna get biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Yes, I think it's much better to focus on everything, not just all the big scores that everyone knows about. However, not all good music is found only in the big scores, which is the reason to go for the smaller ones, too. I am really enjoying the reviews. Keep 'em coming!

glad to hear that, hope everyone else is enjoying them too
    I especially like the way Bregt brings one various label after another
    Reviews is like a box of chocolates! You never know what you're gonna get

LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Some recent thoughts on the subject matter (and not limited to) that might interest some; or not wink

I just don't buy that there's that much more piracy now then say five years ago.

I don't think that's a good reason to hang up the reviewer's coat.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    I find reviews useful for a number of reasons:

1. I find the descriptions of the music helpful in making my purchasing decisions. When I first started listening to a lot of soundtracks, I'd buy a number of cds just because they were reviewed as 'great" and then be disappointed that I didn't really like them. The more I've listened, the more I've identified the styles of music I prefer, and now I get a lot more out of the reviews I read. The description of the music will help me determine if it's a style I'm likely to enjoy (and want to own).

2. Reviews often help me find scores that I wouldn't otherwise discover, especially scores from other countries.

3. A number of the reviews I've read also help me learn more about the art of music composition, and describe how different instruments or techniques create different moods. I don't have any training in music, and often reviews can help give me better appreciation for the structure and technical aspects of a score. On the one hand, I can certainly enjoy music just because I like the way it sounds without knowing a lot about it. But knowing more about the composer, their history and development, or knowing more about the various themes in the music, can help me enjoy it on another level as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I just don't buy that there's that much more piracy now then say five years ago.

I don't think any labels will agree with you wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't think that's a good reason to hang up the reviewer's coat.

I think it changes the purpose of a review, though, if you accept the premise that everyone illegally downloads everything they have a vague interest in hearing (and I don't actually accept that premise - I know some people do, but I imagine the majority of people still pay for it).
  4. I don't agree that "everyone" illegally downloads everything that is of interest. As James says there is a group of individuals who do download the majority of the music they listen to - but I'm not sure they want to actually listen to the music in any great depth. Sometimes it seems that the music is downloaded quickly so that an opinion can be given before other people have had a chance to get the CD.

Most people still wait for the CD to arrive through the letterbox (or, increasingly, via digital purchase). And that purchase is aided by both soundclips and the valued opinions of reviewers & online friends.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't agree that "everyone" illegally downloads everything that is of interest. As James says there is a group of individuals who do download the majority of the music they listen to - but I'm not sure they want to actually listen to the music in any great depth. Sometimes it seems that the music is downloaded quickly so that an opinion can be given before other people have had a chance to get the CD.

Most people still wait for the CD to arrive through the letterbox (or, increasingly, via digital purchase). And that purchase is aided by both soundclips and the valued opinions of reviewers & online friends.

Very good points, Alan. I for one do not (usually) download music illegally from the Internet. I know some people who do, but I for the most part discourage it and like to purchase the music off iTunes or Amazon.
  5. just a question I want to ask here to the members, but would you like to have multiple reviews of a singular score, or that the main reviewers of maintitles (bregt, ML, Joep, Tom) to simply put a rating under the main review and rating of the reviewer, to get a sense of what all the reviewers are thinking of a score?

Basic example: Wall*E received 4 and a half, but what do Bregt, ML, Joep and myself think of it? So we place a mere rating

Does this hinder the work of the main reviewer of the album, or is this much appreciated?

Or do you think I must shut up and continue writing ugly reviews?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    just a question I want to ask here to the members, but would you like to have multiple reviews of a singular score, or that the main reviewers of maintitles (bregt, ML, Joep, Tom) to simply put a rating under the main review and rating of the reviewer, to get a sense of what all the reviewers are thinking of a score?

Basic example: Wall*E received 4 and a half, but what do Bregt, ML, Joep and myself think of it? So we place a mere rating

Does this hinder the work of the main reviewer of the album, or is this much appreciated?

Or do you think I must shut up and continue writing ugly reviews?

Personally, I would love reading different reviews of the same score. I do think it would be better to get multiple reviews rather than just multiple ratings, because the ratings alone won't exactly tell us what the different reviewers liked/disliked about the score. If you want to change, I think different reviews is the way to go. Otherwise, it's all just a bunch of star ratings, and people will wonder, "Hmmm, I see a rating here, but why did he/she give that rating?" You'd need reviews to back up the ratings, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Personally, I would love reading different reviews of the same score. I do think it would be better to get multiple reviews rather than just multiple ratings, because the ratings alone won't exactly tell us what the different reviewers liked/disliked about the score. If you want to change, I think different reviews is the way to go. Otherwise, it's all just a bunch of star ratings, and people will wonder, "Hmmm, I see a rating here, but why did he/she give that rating?" You'd need reviews to back up the ratings, I think.

Ditto! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Ditto! beer

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The problem I see with everyone writing a review is that there is so much material to go through these days it would even be more difficult to get through all of it. And do we all have it? I get material that Europe doesn't and vice-versa. "Death Defying Acts" is an example. I would suggest a comment ability underneath the main review (like score reviews use to have) where the others can and should comment. My opinion I'm sure is always valued but we can disagree. Tommy can write a paragraph saying I overall agree with Tom but (just an example). My take anyway.
    Tom smile
  6. sdtom wrote
    The problem I see with everyone writing a review is that there is so much material to go through these days it would even be more difficult to get through all of it. And do we all have it? I get material that Europe doesn't and vice-versa. "Death Defying Acts" is an example. I would suggest a comment ability underneath the main review (like score reviews use to have) where the others can and should comment. My opinion I'm sure is always valued but we can disagree. Tommy can write a paragraph saying I overall agree with Tom but (just an example). My take anyway.
    Tom smile

true, while it is our intention to write multiple reviews of various scores, it isn't possible to write multiple reviews of all the scores. Hence the reason I perhaps suggested to state ratings while having to write 2 to 3 reviews of all the scores

but it will happen that various scores eceive multiple reviews, Bregt and I agreed on that fact. For Joep's that different, because he has scores no one has and he doesn't listen to music Bregt and I possess biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

A comment box would be nice. The thing is, how many people here actually do the reviews? Is it just sdtom and Tommy_Boy, or are there others? Please forgive my ignorance in this. I was thinking, though, why doesn't MainTitles have it set up so anyone can review a title (providing it has not already been reviewed), send in the review, have it posted, with a comment box like Tom suggested so that anyone may add their feedback to the title/review? There are so many albums out there which we all talk about here in the forums, yet have no real review(s) for. Some sites such as Music On Film use this system, making it it overall easier and faster to get in the reviews on almost any and every title. Now, I'm not saying I still ultimately prefer this to my previous idea of multiple reviews on a certain title by certain members, but I do think this would be a good choice. The only problem comes in when you start getting different reviews on the same thing, if you only need one. Then it would be up to Bregt or someone high up to determine which review to post (likely Tommy_Boy's or sdtom's).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt and I have determined that any new material I will talk about will now be posted on Maintitles and Golden Scores will be only used for older material.
    Bregt and I will talk soon about this on messenger, I promise

In the meantime I have a question? I get a lot of material to listen to these days and frankly much of it is what I call ONE AND DONE stuff. Does everyone on the forum want my opinon on this material or just by the fact that I don't discuss it you know. I am sometimes reluctant to criticize material because frankly I might just not get it! Remember I am older and my ears and feelings about material are different and I know that so sometimes I just keep my mouth shut. Let me know.

Tom smile
  7. TheTelmarine wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

A comment box would be nice. The thing is, how many people here actually do the reviews? Is it just sdtom and Tommy_Boy, or are there others? Please forgive my ignorance in this. I was thinking, though, why doesn't MainTitles have it set up so anyone can review a title (providing it has not already been reviewed), send in the review, have it posted, with a comment box like Tom suggested so that anyone may add their feedback to the title/review? There are so many albums out there which we all talk about here in the forums, yet have no real review(s) for. Some sites such as Music On Film use this system, making it it overall easier and faster to get in the reviews on almost any and every title. Now, I'm not saying I still ultimately prefer this to my previous idea of multiple reviews on a certain title by certain members, but I do think this would be a good choice. The only problem comes in when you start getting different reviews on the same thing, if you only need one. Then it would be up to Bregt or someone high up to determine which review to post (likely Tommy_Boy's or sdtom's).

normally we are with 4, but Tom and Alan have agreed to help with some scores
    And Anthony may show Lost 3 wasn't a one time deal

So with 6 people having a say in the matter, I guess we can do some serious damage in reviewland tongue
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, good for them. I certainly buy mre CDs now than I did...because I have money.
  8. tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, good for them. I certainly buy mre CDs now than I did...because I have money.

but can you listen to them all?
    and if so, do you listen to them again after a while?

With so much music coming out, it is nearly impossible to hear everything, and visit the ones you purchased in the past

me and my brother share 1100 scores nearly, but nearly 200 have already been sold, because we can't keep it up anymore
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If Alan is going to do any older material I want it for Golden Scores cheesy
  9. sdtom wrote
    If Alan is going to do any older material I want it for Golden Scores cheesy

no problem, that's the cool thing of our site, Bregt and me do the more usual releases, ML when she finds the time her typical reviewers, Joep the unknows, Alan the older ones and you the Golden Age, so we can offer everyone something different and we don't fight about who does what

what a team wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

but can you listen to them all?
    and if so, do you listen to them again after a while?

With so much music coming out, it is nearly impossible to hear everything, and visit the ones you purchased in the past

me and my brother share 1100 scores nearly, but nearly 200 have already been sold, because we can't keep it up anymore

honestly i buy so much these days that i can't be bothered to download the ones im not interested enough in to buy.