• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorUbedapress
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Preliminary program details already announced for the Symphonic concert on saturday 12th, July at the IV Ubeda Conference

During the IV International Film Music Conference “City of Ubeda”, to be held from 10th to 13rd July 2008, all fans would be able to attend to one of the most relevant film music events of this year. We advance the main details of its preliminary program:

Bruce Broughton
    - Tombstone
    - Rescuers Down Under

Roque Baños
    - Suite from “The Oxford Murders"
    or a
    - Suite from “The Thirteen Roses"
    In a similar way like he did last year with his suite arrangement for "Alatriste" in a great performance, the composer has announced that he is preparing new suite arrangements for these scores.

Joel McNeely
    A complete selection of his scores from: “Iron Will”, “Shadows of the Empire”, “I Know Who Killed Me”, “Pooh's Heffalump Movie”, and also an homage to Bernard Herrmann in which he will conduct some of his arrangements of the music of the great composer (“North by Northwest”).

John Scott
    - Greystoke
    - Anthony and Cleopatra

Patrick Doyle
    The composer has not confirmed yet the pieces he will prepare, but we are able to confirm that his section would be the longest one in the concert.

Along the following days we will close the rest of the details that will create one of the magic nights, from many, that the IV International Film Music Conference "City of Ubeda" will offer to all fans of symphonic and film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Fantastic line-up! shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hey Ubeda.. how many topics do you have to open to discuss the same friggin' event.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Fantastic line-up! shocked

It is a good line up, not that I'm likely to be there though slant

....and Erik's right, too many threads on the same subject.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I wish I was going. sad

Just curious Ubeda - why is Alberto Iglesias there, if he's not going to be presenting any of his music? Seems like a definite opportunity being lost...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    So, how was it for the people who went?

Jordi? Marselus?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    So, how was it for the people who went?

Jordi? Marselus?

I finally didn't went. I was to busy/tired with my 2 works. sad (anyway they was not Zimmer, Powell, Horner, Newton Howard or Giacchino so...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    they was not Zimmer, Powell, Horner, Newton Howard or Giacchino so...)

No need for Zimmer (to perform what? "The Dark Crap"?), Powell was there last year, for God Sake, Horner will never be in a Congress and Giacchino, well, a little bird of the organisation told me something about him....we´ll see.

Anyway,
    After a tiresome trip by car to Ubeda and another back to Barcelona it´s time for balance. And it can´t be more positive.
    Probably the better congress so far. All the mistakes of last year (access to the saturday night concert and lenght of the concert) were corrected. The conferences were interesting overall; as always, the Roque Baños one was the more interesting, giving good information about the process of creation of a score and how he deals with directors, temp tracks (he is totally against them by the way) and producers. Also interesting what he said about why did he left Brad Anderson´s "Transsiberian".
    John Scott proved again what an extraordinary warm and nice human being he is and the rest of composers, as usual in Úbeda, were kind and accessible during all the congress. It was great friday night having some drinks with Patrick Doyle, Roque Baños, Fernando Velázquez, Alberto Iglesias, etc. and the rest of the score geeks. I even gave some feedback(!) (while drinking a beer) to Velázquez about his "The Orphanage" suite, as I attended the final rehearsal of the suite in the afternoon.

The saturday night was probably the most interesting event, as is not usual to listen non film music of film music composers.
    Bruce Broughton at the piano and extraordinary violinist David Quiggle performed "Gold Rush Songs" (musical arrangements of traditional american songs).
    Broughton (piano) and Joel McNeely (flute) performed "Variations for flute and Piano".
    Broughton (piano) and Quiggley (violin) performed "Sonata for Violin and Piano".
    Then it was tine for Christopher Slaski, who performed a selection of themes of his scores with his cellist.
    After Slaski, it was the turn for Fernando Velázquez (cello), Marc Vaíllo (piano) and David Quiggle (violin); they performed Velázquez´s "Holes in the Sky".
    Marc Vaíllo´s "Animus: Hope, Triumph, Sadness and Final" was performed by Vaíllo at the piano, Velázquez (cello) and Quiggle (violin).
    Finally, Carles Cases showed his virtuosity with the piano with a selection of his music.

Now, the main concert (sarurday night).
    Bruce Broughton started it all with a suite of "Tombstone" and another one of "Rescuers Down Under". "Tombstone" was specially brilliant, and set the mood for the rest of the concert.

Then Roque Baños took the stage. Still echoing in the place´s walls his magnificent "Alatriste" suite of Úbeda 2007, he delivered "The Oxford Murders" suite, specially arranged for the occasion, adding a full choir and new orchestral arrangements to the piece. As always, Baños conducted with energy, authority and not even looking at the score sheets. Specially amazing is watch him giving feedback to the percussion section and the first violin while playing. Brilliant.

After Baños, the highlight of the night IMO: John Scott. Conducting the orchestra with the spirit of a teenager, they performed a suite of "Anthony and Cleopatra" and another one of "The Final Countdown". And he did it in an original way, starting with Cleopatra, linking it with The Final Countdown and reprising Cleopatra´s suite with a big finale to finish his concert. Absolutely fantastic. The audience gifted him with three standing ovations for that.
    There was an amazing moment during Scott´s concert: the music is so good and the rehearsals went so good that in the middle of the suite Scott stopped conducting for a while, watching the orchestra and enjoying the moment. Magical.

After Scott, Joel McNeely took the stage to conduct Herrmann´s "North by Northwest" (impressive execution by the orchestra), a selection of his works, and three themes of "Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire". No need to say it was impressive.

Fernando Velázquez was next, and his "The Orphanage " suite was another highlight, with director J.A. Bayona introducing the composer and listening for the first time the suite with the orchestra and the choir together (due to budgetary reasons, when they recorded the score a year ago they couldn´t do it with the choir and orchestra at the same time).

Joel NcNeely returned to stage again to introduce Patrick Doyle and conduct "Much Ado About Nothing" (Overture), "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (Potter Waltz and Harry in Winter), "Frankenstein" (The Creation), "Carlito´s Way (Opening Elegy) and "Henry V" (St. Crispin´s Day and Non Nobis Domine). Here came a great surprise of the night, as Patrick Doyle went up to the stage to sing "Non Nobis Domine" while McNeely conducted the orchestra and choir.

Finally, it was time for the Basil Poledouris Homage. Pascual Osa (the director of the Orchestra) conducted Basil´s "Hymn to Red October". Mindblowing performance of the Ziryab choir. At the end of the theme all composers appeared on stage for the final standing ovation. What a great way to finish a perfect concert.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow! You had a drink with the composers. cheesy

There were a lot of things to do again I see. This Banos guy is amazing, everytime you hear of him. Thanks for the report Marselus.

Jordi, you should have gone!
    Pity your job took away time. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    AWESOME! No more words to say, just AWESOME!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wow! Marselus.....just WOW! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Indeed, a big and AWESOME WOW! wink
    I´ll post some pics and vids ASAP.
  2. Just want to echo all the previous WOWs!!

I've missed not having a trip to Madrid this year. Sounds like Ubeda continues to grow from strength to strength.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    A couple of the themes of the concert:

The Hunt for the Red October (Hymn to the Red October) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdL9Ku6J … re=related

Henry V (Non Nobis Domine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFwxIDa … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    photos?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Marselus wrote

The Hunt for the Red October (Hymn to the Red October) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdL9Ku6J … re=related

omg
    Good god, that must have been awesome.
    It's not easy to ignore the sound quality of this video, but if I had been there I just would have died of sheer emotional overload!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited
    This one, Doyle's The Creation from Frankenstein, is a lot worse in sound quality and to watch because of the moving camera, but it brings back good memories of hearing it live in Ghent a couple of years back. That is one piece to hear and see performed live!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcoGuj5StsQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    OOh, I saw that played live at one of his concerts with David Arnold by the LSO.... my god it was awesome. (But not as awesome as the ID4 theme. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregje wrote
    Marselus wrote

omg
    Good god, that must have been awesome.
    It's not easy to ignore the sound quality of this video, but if I had been there I just would have died of sheer emotional overload!!

Indeed. The sound quality is mediocre, but I can assure you it sounded perfect there smile
    We all died of emotional overload after this piece! It was the perfect ending for the concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah, after listening to some other clips (including the Doyle one) I think the sound quality is not even that bad.

Thanks very much for posting the link, it has been on repeat here for a while now! smile
    And I posted it in the Poledouris topic as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    Yeah, after listening to some other clips (including the Doyle one) I think the sound quality is not even that bad.

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Here we go again... rolleyes

Have you heard the Doyle one I'm talking about? Then listen to the Poledouris one and compare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not from this year´s Congress, but I just found this one from Úbeda 2007:
    Acceptable sound quality and no camera shaking wink

Lair Suite (John Debney): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgvzs6sROnQ
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Holy crap, that reminds me! Julio...I think his name was...never got back to me about the DVD of last years event. He was going to use my footage and was going to send me a copy. Marselus, did you get one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Holy crap, that reminds me! Julio...I think his name was...never got back to me about the DVD of last years event. He was going to use my footage and was going to send me a copy. Marselus, did you get one?

Do you mean the DVD of 2006 concert? Or the 2007 one?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The 2007 one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Pictures coming soon!
    Kazoo