• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Franz is very right when he says not every detail needs to be explained (it's nice having some mystery left in the Universe, and this is something that for example Babylon 5 did to perfection), but I was annoyed by the unevenness of the unexplained: just throwing out plot devices to further the drama, and then "explaining" them away by being the will of God is just a cop-out in my opinion.

I very much agree. When thinking about this the other day, it occurred to me that I was wrong in saying that everything had been answered. In fact, it isn't done so much with direct exposition, but just by acknowlegement of a God, nothing needs to be explained. Everything is possible, everything is conceivable. Good for life (at least for me), bad for drama. We call it deus ex machina! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    'All Along The Watchtower', Martijn, nothing beats Jimi Hendrix version cool

Reading through the posts I really would like to see this series, I was impressed with a couple of episodes I caught on TV.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    'All Along The Watchtower', Martijn, nothing beats Jimi Hendrix version cool

I heard the Neil Young version first (which is pretty catatonic), then the Hendrix one, then the Dylan original.

I have to agree Hendrix version is the grittiest, and the best.
    And it's pretty clear that that's the version McCreary is referencing in the Galactica scores/.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    Firefly? Serenity? Wha.....!?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I started watching the show again from the beginning, just so I have something awesome to see until season 4 gets released on DVD. I don't wanna download / stream S4 because I want to watch it in the best possible quality. But if it don't get frakin' released soon, I may find not able to restrain myself... sad shame

A classic piece of drama, honor, betrayal and survival, that much is certain. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    There are places you can download it in 720p.

Anyway, I've finally started to watch it. I'm about halfway through season 1 and I'm absolutely addicted to it! Such great writing.
  3. Yes, I have 3 episodes left for the first season.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sadly it doesn't retain its excellence for the full run.
    The first two seasons are really the best, with season one beating out all others as far as writing and pacing is concerned.

But no worries: it'll still hook you until the very end.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Season 1 was really great. Season 2 - mostly great, 1 or 2 filler episodes. More fillers in 3 & 4, but there's still a lot of value, and some of the best episodes. The music consistently gets better and better.
  5. Steven wrote

Anyway, I've finally started to watch it. I'm about halfway through season 1 and I'm absolutely addicted to it! Such great writing.

addicted is indeed the word
    I rushed through Season 1

Let me know when you saw the final episode of season 1 okay?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Season 1 was really great. Season 2 - mostly great, 1 or 2 filler episodes. More fillers in 3 & 4, but there's still a lot of value, and some of the best episodes. The music consistently gets better and better.

ow cool, then I'm really looking forward to rush through season 2 and 3
    Season opens amazing with a knock out duo episode
  7. Steven wrote

But downloading... that's like something illegal no??? rolleyes

Nah, I'll wait for it to get released here. I can be patient but they better release it around summer... or else I might just do something illegal first... and then download it !!! tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm actually not sure whether that's illegal? Aren't these simply taped versions directly off TV?
    I think -at least in the majority of Europe- that's not illegal to do.

Anyway. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh the horror! shocked
  8. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh the horror! shocked

tongue
    at least someone's lying
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

I did today smile
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

I did today smile

okay, and were you as shocked as I was? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    A more important question would be, did the last episode (if you count the last 2 actual episodes as being the same one) make your jaw drop to the ground when hearing those b-e-a-utiful symphonic pieces? That scene with junior and senior adama boxing still gives me goosebumps. Also with Baltar and Six in that certain... place. Those moments in the series won me over.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  11. Rian wrote
    A more important question would be, did the last episode (if you count the last 2 actual episodes as being the same one) make your jaw drop to the ground when hearing those b-e-a-utiful symphonic pieces? That scene with junior and senior adama boxing still gives me goosebumps. Also with Baltar and Six in that certain... place. Those moments in the series won me over.

yep, McCreary's music absolutely shines in that duo episode, especially the wonderful waltz
  12. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

I did today smile

I didn't plan to watch the series before, so my brother told me of the twist. I wasn't SO shocked.

A bigger shock to me was that it was Edward James Olmos who plays Adama. When I saw parts on the pilot on TV for some stupid reason I thought it was Jurgen Prochnow lol
  13. While listening to the season 3 soundtrack today, one of my favourite cues came - 'Someone to Trust'. I always liked the cue - the fiddle/erhu duet is a really nice idea - but it was only on seeing the episode where it appears that I really fell for what the cue was doing. Baltar's monologue to Gaeta at the end of 'Take a break from all your worries' was considerably enriched by the cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009 edited
    Indeed - to all of it.

Bear´s music has enhanced this series massively, be it the very first symphonic piece he used for the series in Kobol´s Last Gleaming or that track Someone To Trust. And what he did for Someone To Watch Over Me is certainly one of the most fantastic achievements in television scoring ever. Read his blog for that episode, and you will be blown away.

Beside that, I find myself constantly rewatching certain scenes from Daybreak again just to listen to this great scoring.

And Jürgen Prochnow as William Adama? That would have been VERY interesting casting indeed.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

I did today smile

I didn't plan to watch the series before, so my brother told me of the twist. I wasn't SO shocked.

A bigger shock to me was that it was Edward James Olmos who plays Adama. When I saw parts on the pilot on TV for some stupid reason I thought it was Jurgen Prochnow lol

I love Edward James Olmos, he's my favourite character
  15. And pretty good director, too!

I am still trying to get the agenda of some of the characters. I know they considered Harrison Ford and Ed Harris as Adama too.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    And pretty good director, too!

I am still trying to get the agenda of some of the characters. I know they considered Harrison Ford and Ed Harris as Adama too.

I never heard of the man before this
    but that's the cool thing about series, sometimes a man can become that loved just by a good series
  17. Have you seen Miami Vice? He is also know from his bit, but important part (also largely improvised, like the So Say We All speech in the BSG pilot!) in Blade Runner.
  18. C'mon... Edward J. Olmos

From Miami Vice TV series, a part in Blade Runner, that's about it I know him from.

Oh and I like him too, he has no problem in showing his faults.
  19. DreamTheater wrote
    C'mon... Edward J. Olmos

From Miami Vice TV series, a part in Blade Runner, that's about it I know him from.

Oh and I like him too, he has no problem in showing his faults.

Miami Vice is way too old to remember it, and Blade Runner, well when's the last time I saw that movie? shame
  20. Let's say that Olmos's most known look is pretty similar to the one he has in the first episodes of second season. Not to spoil anything to Steven smile
  21. Thomas Glorieux wrote

and Blade Runner, well when's the last time I saw that movie? shame

That can be rectified, just say the word... cheesy

PawelStroinski wrote
    Let's say that Olmos's most known look is pretty similar to the one he has in the first episodes of second season. Not to spoil anything to Steven smile

Oh that's damn funny, but also very disrespectful. sad