• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    New album for the composer,

Tabarly

CD COVER:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

CD audio (9 juin 2008)

CD COVER / TRACKLISTING / SAMPLES
    http://www.amazon.fr/Tabarly-Yann-Tiers … mp;s=music

http://www.yanntiersen.com/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Excellent! Looking forward to it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    Yann Tiersen is currently the most popular composer at last.fm according to this article, with 569,209 listeners, followed by Hans Zimmer and John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009
    I'm not surprised. He has far more crossover appeal than Zimmer and Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But that guy has more non-score albums than actual scores. A rather unfair comparison. Thoug, he's a great composer+musician. I love his music, with cd's like Le Phare, La Rade, ...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And I am not familiar with him at all. What is his style etc.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

"Quirky melancholy" is a good description. Have you seen AMELIE DE MONTMARTRE? Check out this lovely piano piece, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiJVSMFLZ6g

My favourite album is L'ABSENTE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited
    I'd say a good description would be "minimalist dross with all the default trappings of the not-very-good composer who has followed "minor keys for dummies" to the letter", but hey-ho...

I do enjoy his (99% unoriginal, literally: he rehashes a lot of old work) work on Le Fabuleux Destin D' Amélie Poulain, but I'm not particularly impressed by it, and in fact rarely revisit it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, have you heard any albums in full outside the excerpts on AMELIE?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, they sound remarkably like minimalist dross with all the default trappings of the not-very-good composer who has followed "minor keys for dummies" to the letter.

I need a drink.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That you do. Hopefully, it will taste better than your taste in music!!

HAH!!

Seriously, that's fair game. One man's jewel is another man's...well, whatever it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (I just woke up and am giving my cranky curmudgeon image a proper workout before coffee and more mimosas!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    HAH!!

biggrin cocktail
  1. Just for reference, Thor, anything remotely minimalist (ie. there's a few arpeggiations in Tierssen's work) is likely to fall afoul of Martijn. As I have learned again and again any time I mention he whose names begin with P and G.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, they sound remarkably like minimalist dross with all the default trappings of the not-very-good composer who has followed "minor keys for dummies" to the letter.

Bah!

Not really Tom. Get Le Fabuleux Deston d'Amélie Poulain!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    sdtom wrote

Very european. Very colorful, piano violin, small percussion instruments and accordion driven, small-ensemble based, minimalistic and improvisational, rather sentimental and emotional at places and driven by song-like, profound little melodies. Constructively repetitive at places, having the same melody starting from one or two instruments and building it up with the time with more and more interweaving / added instruments and melodies, up to full outburtsts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Not sure it's Tom's thing though.