• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It begs the question, so why did he do the Q&A?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. We were all wondering the same thing. It was organized by the Society of Composers and Lyricists.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    What a strange business.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Jon Broxton wrote
    Well, the thing is, Glasgow's right: Streitenfeld is NOT a trained composer, he said so himself at the Prometheus Q&A we all attended on Monday. He worked as a music editor for Zimmer for several years, before Ridley Scott approached him to score A GOOD YEAR, and even when he was offered that job he said "You know, I'm not a composer...", but Scott hired him anyway.

What an odd thing. Jut because he hires you, doesn't mean you accept. You have contracts to sign, etc. -- you can turn it down.

That's like saying, "I wasn't going trip and fall down three the step and break a leg, but my friend told me to go break a leg anyway."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Would you say no to the pay check?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I know what you mean. He was saying something like "I wasn't going to accept (the A GOOD YEAR gig) because I felt I wasn't ready, but sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet...". I don't really know, it was a very odd interview.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Would you say no to the pay check?

-Erik-

Is he having trouble getting music editing gigs, considering the large volume of assignments Zimmer & Co. take every year? Was this one gig he doesn't have the experience for, going to make of break him?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You take the job, Justin. Big gigs like a composing gig are few and far between. And it lead him to scoring one of the most anticipated films of the year.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Ah, no.

A movie producer doesn't ask the chauffeur to drive the stunt cars.

A director doesn't ask the FX man to rig explosives.

In both cases, they are jobs, but each person would know where to draw the line, no matter how big the gig or fame thereof that could be attached to them.

Hell, why stop here. "Man of Steel" may have a sequel, so OH MY GOD! It's Bob Badami'S BIG CHANCE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He wrote some perfectly good scores for THE GREY and yes, PROMETHEUS too. Bashing one another (with hints of jealousy i must say, at least as coldly appearing on text on facebook) and in public is not something i'd expect to see from professionals.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited
    Justin - Elfman isn't a trained composer either... I guess he shouldn't have written any film music at all either.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Justin - Elfman isn't a trained composer either... I guess he shouldn't have written any film music at all either.

-Erik-

Exactly. What does a "he's not a composer" mean anyway? Elfman is not the only case. It was a very off comment to make on behalf of Glasgow.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Actually, Elfman was a professional musician long before his first score. Show me where Marc was a professional musician before these projects?

And even then, that doesn't earn you a film, like an Alien film.

Goldsmith = far beyond proved himself.
    Horner = Also proved himself.
    Goldenthal = proved himself.
    Frizzell = already had the chops.

Streitenfeld = I'm a music editor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He's a musician. As a teenager he played in bands in Germany. He played guitar and took classical guitar lessons as a kid.

-Erik-
  8. Okay, now he's excused on that point. But he still did not have to accept a project clearly meant for somebody who had the chops. Goldsmith, Horner, Goldenthal, Frizzell all accetped.

Now, if being a band guitar band player and classical trained is qualification to score a major motion picture who's composer lineage cinludes Jerry Freakin' Goldsmith and James Horner, then here's Trent Reznor's big chance to score the next Alien prequel! We all know how lovingly some people here speak of his co-composing effort on "The Social Network".

Now, let get somebody good with chopping up music in Audacity, to take on music editing on a major motion pciture. It'll be okay, right? Let's ask Marc. But it's all right -- it's a job offered, after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You're not making any sense whatsoever, Justin. Again, should Danny Elfman have said no to Tim Burton when offered Pee-Wee's Big Adventure or Batman?

-Erik-
  9. It makes perfect sense. It was up, in both cases, respectively, to the composer. By tha ttime, Elfman had far more chops than Marc had, and Elfman had input from real creative talent, incuding Shirley Walker.
    If we're going with after-the-fact, well now -- we could have a hell of an alternate history on anything, including each member's lives here.

And, lest you forget, he was going to turn it down based on not being a composer, as relayed by Broxton up above.

I back Scott Glasgow on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    By tha ttime, Elfman had far more chops than Marc had

Really? Streitenfeld had scored 5 major films by the time he scored Prometheus. How many major films did Elfman have under his belt when he scored Pee-Wee's?

justin boggan wrote
    and Elfman had input from real creative talent, incuding Shirley Walker.

Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek were and are fantastic but what's wrong with the people that Streitenfeld has been working with. You might have a grudge against Zimmer but he's the biggest thing going in Hollywood these days whether you like it or not. Some people would even consider him "talented" and "creative."

justin boggan wrote
    And, lest you forget, he was going to turn it down based on not being a composer, as relayed by Broxton up above.

Elfman was going to turn down Pee-Wee Big Adventure as well because he felt like he didn't have the chops. Thank God he didn't.

-Erik-
  10. What does "major" have to do with both a film's quality, or the score? Tehre are plenty of "major" films which suck balls and have bad to terrible scores. Let's just put that measuring stick where it was found, the shitcan.

The people working with Elfman vs. Zimmer, has nothing to do with Zimmer. I can name other composers who have people around then that aren't helping. But I will not -- that's enough crap to go back & forth over.

And clearly Burton wasn't as taken with Elfman at first as he is now, as Prince did a score for "Batman" first (on top of the songs" and on "Edward Scissorhands" he asked Robert Smith (of The Cure) first. I'll somebody else was in mind for Pee Wee, too.

OF course, we're all on the same page about Elfman because he didn't blow it and suck huge chunks, otherwise it would be some other composer to argue about, like John Barry or Henry Mancini. So let's put off "But thank God he did", 'cause plenty of other musicians try their hand and eithger disappear or create something best left forgotten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek were and are fantastic but what's wrong with the people that Streitenfeld has been working with.

Listening to his music, quite a lot is wrong with them, at least when it comes to writing music.

Elfman made it because he has an incredible dramatic sense, worked with the best people he could find to help him with an orchestra, and is simply blessed with a lot of talent. But he's an exception - most non-composers who try to be film composers are terrible. Of course it's possible another Elfman will come around but don't ever try to suggest that Streitenfeld is that person. He is totally, 100% out of his depth and it is an insult to all the talented film composers who struggle to make ends meet that he gets to score these massive films just because his best mate is Ridley Scott's son.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    What does "major" have to do with both a film's quality, or the score? Tehre are plenty of "major" films which suck balls and have bad to terrible scores. Let's just put that measuring stick where it was found, the shitcan.

You're the one that brought up measuring sticks into this discussion when you pointed out that Streitenfeld doesn't deserve an Alien film. Who cares what kind of film it is? Did Horner deserve Star Trek II when he got that assignment?

justin boggan wrote
    The people working with Elfman vs. Zimmer, has nothing to do with Zimmer. I can name other composers who have people around then that aren't helping. But I will not -- that's enough crap to go back & forth over.

What?

justin boggan wrote
    And clearly Burton wasn't as taken with Elfman at first as he is now, as Prince did a score for "Batman" first (on top of the songs" and on "Edward Scissorhands" he asked Robert Smith (of The Cure) first. I'll somebody else was in mind for Pee Wee, too.

I don't see your point here.

justin boggan wrote
    OF course, we're all on the same page about Elfman because he didn't blow it and suck huge chunks, otherwise it would be some other composer to argue about, like John Barry or Henry Mancini. So let's put off "But thank God he did", 'cause plenty of other musicians try their hand and eithger disappear or create something best left forgotten.

Look, we have no idea where Streitenfeld's career is going to go but he does have an advantage by working with one of the hottest directors and got a chance to work on one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. Streitenfeld, like Elfman back in the 80's, is only starting to find his compositional chops. Who knows what he will deliver 5-10 years down the road. His 2012 scores have been pretty solid, IMO.

-Erik-
  11. Just one little thing...

There was a period of time (turn of 80s/90s) when Zimmer and Elfman actually had *the same team* working for him.

One of Erik's Zimmer favourites (Pacific Heights) was orchestrated by both Walker and Bartek. Bartek also co-orchestrated Bird on a Wire and got back to working with Hans in years 2006-2007, when Hans scored Pirates 2 and 3 and The Simpsons were orchestrated by Bartek.

Interestingly enough, main Zimmer orchestrator Bruce Fowler has done work for Elfman as well, starting with Red Dragon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Shirley Walker and Steve Bartek were and are fantastic but what's wrong with the people that Streitenfeld has been working with.

Listening to his music, quite a lot is wrong with them, at least when it comes to writing music.

Elfman made it because he has an incredible dramatic sense, worked with the best people he could find to help him with an orchestra, and is simply blessed with a lot of talent. But he's an exception - most non-composers who try to be film composers are terrible. Of course it's possible another Elfman will come around but don't ever try to suggest that Streitenfeld is that person. He is totally, 100% out of his depth and it is an insult to all the talented film composers who struggle to make ends meet that he gets to score these massive films just because his best mate is Ridley Scott's son.

Are there more talented film composers? Sure. But hey, that's Hollywood for you. Its who you know. And while I didn't find Steitenfeld's early work to be anything spectacular (Elfman's pre Pee-Wee scores weren't anything great either) I do like what he came up with for The Grey and Prometheus. Like I said earlier who the hell knows where Streitenfled's career will go from here and what kind of music he will compose in the next 5-10 years. I mean, who would have thought that the guy who composed Pee-Wee's Big Adventure would be able to come up with brilliant purely symphonic music for Batman.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just one little thing...

There was a period of time (turn of 80s/90s) when Zimmer and Elfman actually had *the same team* working for him.

One of Erik's Zimmer favourites (Pacific Heights) was orchestrated by both Walker and Bartek. Bartek also co-orchestrated Bird on a Wire and got back to working with Hans in years 2006-2007, when Hans scored Pirates 2 and 3 and The Simpsons were orchestrated by Bartek.

Interestingly enough, main Zimmer orchestrator Bruce Fowler has done work for Elfman as well, starting with Red Dragon.

Excellent points, Pawel.

-Erik-
  12. It's something I'd love to inquire Hans about one day, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    What does "major" have to do with both a film's quality, or the score? Tehre are plenty of "major" films which suck balls and have bad to terrible scores. Let's just put that measuring stick where it was found, the shitcan.

You're the one that brought up measuring sticks into this discussion when you pointed out that Streitenfeld doesn't deserve an Alien film. Who cares what kind of film it is? Did Horner deserve Star Trek II when he got that assignment?

No, re-read. I said "that measuring stick", refering to the one you pulled out.
    And, on a side note, based on "Battle Beyond the Stars", yes. ST:TMP was a crtitical flop and box office take in was just okay at best. STII was taking a chance, especiall on making a film with based on a one-shot character that only the fanbase at that time -- nowhere as big as today as it was then, even with the mailing compaings -- knew of. Horner was just as suited for the film as any other compsoer then with his credentials.

justin boggan wrote

I don't see your point here.

That's okay, just one less thing to blab back & forth over.

justin boggan wrote

Look, we have no idea where Streitenfeld's career is going to go but he does have an advantage by working with one of the hottest directors and got a chance to work on one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. Streitenfeld, like Elfman back in the 80's, is only starting to find his compositional chops. Who knows what he will deliver 5-10 years down the road. His 2012 scores have been pretty solid, IMO.

-Erik-

You revising the history of the dicussion. We were not discussing the future of Marc Streitenfled, anymore than Lorne Balfe of in the distant future Lorne Balfe, Jr.

As per what Broxton brought up, tyhe discussion was about MArc taking a job he didn't really jump at first, because he said he was not a composer. And he's not.

Like Southall pointed out, Elfman had dramatic sense. He's displayed actual, though widly different from Williams or Goldsmith, or even Horner -- compositional talent. Marc's talent, via every cue I have sampled, has been a pastiche of Remote Control with no sense. I think it says something when they have to call in Gregson-Williams to write a theme and that Marc gets embarrassed over it. I'll bet if we could dig up an old interview with Elfman after "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", ol' Danny-boy expressed himself well. And, I don't think Shirley Walker was ever called in to wirte the theme for "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" or "Batman".

We're going in circles with tagents which amount to nothing more than opinion on some cases. I'm about to drop this conversation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Are there more talented film composers? Sure. But hey, that's Hollywood for you. Its who you know. And while I didn't find Steitenfeld's early work to be anything spectacular (Elfman's pre Pee-Wee scores weren't anything great either) I do like what he came up with for The Grey and Prometheus. Like I said earlier who the hell knows where Streitenfled's career will go from here and what kind of music he will compose in the next 5-10 years. I mean, who would have thought that the guy who composed Pee-Wee's Big Adventure would be able to come up with brilliant purely symphonic music for Batman.

-Erik-

It's a fair point. I hold out little hope but you truly never know. I guess if you'd said to film music fans in the 60s that the guy making a career as a substandard Mancini wannabe on The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing etc would go on to become the dominant force in film music within a decade then they'd have thought you were crazy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah. To be honest, I don't see Streitenfeld going too far but again you never know. He might turn out to be the next Powell <-- A composer who was mimicking Zimmer's voice until he found his own.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Streitenfeld hasn't yet 'bowled me over', as they say, but nothing in his music so far has told me he ISN'T a composer or musician. That seems to be quite an absurd statement. To be perfectly honest, he could have been working as a toilet cleaner before he did his first film score, for all I care. The proof is in the pudding and what you deliver to the film.

Although HGW's theme is the centerpiece of the PROMETHEUS score, there are several other interesting things by Streitenfeld going on. I'm actually anxious to see the film again and delve into those details more properly -- especially the Goldenthalish brass riffs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's a fair point. I hold out little hope but you truly never know. I guess if you'd said to film music fans in the 60s that the guy making a career as a substandard Mancini wannabe on The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing etc would go on to become the dominant force in film music within a decade then they'd have thought you were crazy.

There isn't anything in CAT DANCING that cries 'Mancini', as far as I can tell. It's pure folksy Americana. Now, the 60's comedy scores, on the other hand...
    I am extremely serious.