• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    7 hours of watching on youtube!??? shocked dizzy

Koko´s long shadow. We´ll never get rid of him.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    7-hour long film? what is it about? Is the score released?

Not even KOKO would watch 7 hours of youtube.......freezing
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Aha! I beat you for 20 seconds!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    7-hour long film? what is it about? Is the score released?

Not even KOKO would watch 7 hours of youtube.......freezing

I wouldn't bet on it.

...and you've NEVER heard of The Count of Monte Cristo? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, but is this another remake of the same ol' story again? I remember the great EDWARD SHEARMUR score, btw.
  1. They're actually talking about a Coulais scored French TV series, much closer to the movie than the Kevin Reynolds movie with Shearmur's music, BTW.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    His new CD OCEANSwill be available next week.

There are some samples here:

http://musique.fnac.com/a2792621/Bande- … lbum?PID=2

The second cue sounds very good.

http://www.oceans-lefilm.com/
    • CommentAuthortimme
    There is an interview with Bruno Coulais you can listen to at www.filmmusicsite.com/interviews.
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Holy cow! No one's mentioned Le Comte de Monte Cristo? I saw the 7 hr long film just a few weeks back and I have the theme playing in my head even now. It's OOP and I've searched like crazy. But there's always youtube. Very strong work!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHX_knLo_kc
    Hey, you can watch the whole thing on Youtube!

I have the score, which is basically the theme repeated forever! But it's a good theme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oceans eh? VERY interesting project, both film and score wise. Keep us posted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited
    I watched Coraline yesterday and I really loved the music!
    I expected more Elfman type score, but it reminds me more of Thomas Newman.

But I'm wondering what language was the lyrics of the children chorus?
    It wasn't dubbed and with no subtitles, only one word I could understand was "dream" in the opening song.

I should get the album anyway. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    The lyrics are a cominbation of french, english and made up words by coulais himself. All the lyrics that he uses in his scores are made up by Bruno. He told this to me in an interview.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Thanks timme! I'll check out your interview.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    Hihi, another press release

TWO OF THIS YEAR’S OSCAR NOMINATED FILMS
    SCORED BY FRENCH COMPOSER BRUNO COULAIS

LOS ANGELES (February 23, 2010) – Academy Award-nominated French composer Bruno Coulais has the distinction this year of scoring two Oscar nominated animated films, the Cartoon Saloon film THE SECRET OF KELLS and the Focus Features hit CORALINE. Earlier this month Coulais won the Annie Award for his CORALINE score. The mostly hand-drawn Irish indie is the surprise underdog in this year’s Oscar race. THE SECRET OF KELLS will open March 5th in New York March 19th in Boston and April 2nd in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and other markets.

Bruno Coulais’s musical style varies significantly between different projects, but there are some constant factors visible such as his taste for opera, for human voice, for a search for original sonority, for world music and mixing different musical cultures. Kila, one of Ireland’s most popular bands, performs Coulais’s compositions for the film. Called “extraordinary” by U2’s Bono, Kila is rooted in traditional Irish music yet influenced strongly by global rhythms.

In THE SECRET OF KELLS, adventure, action and danger await 12 year old Brendan who must fight Vikings and a serpent god to find a crystal and complete the legendary Book of Kells. The book is widely regarded as Ireland’s finest national treasure and a masterwork of Western calligraphy. It contains the four Gospels of the New Testament transcribed by Celtic monks.

CORALINE, now available on DVD, follows an adventurous girl who finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home.

In spring 2010 two films that Coulais scored will be released. Disneynature’s OCEANS which will be released on Earth Day, April 22 offers an unprecedented look beneath the sea to explore the playful splendor and the harsh reality of the weird and wonderful creatures that live within. BABIES from Focus Features opens Mother’s Day weekend, May 7. The visually stunning new film simultaneously chronicles the lives of four of the world’s newest human inhabitants - in Mongolia, Namibia, San Francisco, and Tokyo - from first breath to first steps, on a journey at once universal and amazingly original.

Coulais’s score to LES CHORISTES earned him an Academy Award-nomination, A BAFTA Award-nomination and won a Cesar Award. Other credits include CORALINE, LUCKY LUKE, VILLA AMALIA and LE PEUPLE MIGRATEUR.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oceans is disappointing...looking forward to BABIES (what kind of title is this anyway wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    What is Oceans like? I've read several negative opinions now but none of them were very specific. It's Coulais, how bad can it be?? smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's unfocused and it lacks the usual trademarked Coulais melodic coherence and magic. It's a very sparse and all over the place album, especially for a Coulais. Disappointing is the word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2010
    BRUNO COULAIS SCORES 2 NEW WORKS - DISNEYNATURE’S OCEANS AND FOCUS FEATURES’ BABIES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE COMPOSER OF TWO OF THIS YEAR’S OSCAR® NOMINATED FILMS SCORES TWO ANITCIPATED DOCUMENTARIES – DISNEYNATURE’S OCEANS AND FOCUS FEATURES’ BABIES

LOS ANGELES (March 11, 2010) – The scores of Bruno Coulais are filled with the complexity of international and inanimate sounds that bloom into characters in their own right. Whether writing for a documentary or a kid-friendly animated film, Coulais creates moods and emotions in the absence of actors. On the heels of an Academy award season that saw two of Coulais’ films nominated for Best Animated Feature (CORALINE, THE SECRET OF KELLS), the French composer wrote original scores for two of the year’s highly anticipated documentaries: OCEANS and BABIES.

In Disneynature’s OCEANS (opening Earth Day, April 22), Coulais explores the depths of the seas, its inhabitants and the dangers of the ocean. For Focus Features’ BABIES (opening May 7), he creates a delicate, light, funny and emotional score as the film simultaneously follows the life of four of the world’s newest human beings.

Coualis’ scores are innovative and idiosyncratic with their combination of orchestral pieces, toys, ethnic instruments and children’s voices. Mixing orchestra and adding contrapuntal themes tease additional meanings and emotions from a scene according to Coulais.

Coulais writes the original score and also acts as his own orchestrator. “For me it’s very important to make my own orchestrations because when I think of melody, I think of it with the instruments I’ll write with,” says Coulais. “Depending on the density of sequence, sometimes I will have just a few instruments -- strange instruments like the water phone. It’s a metallic percussion where you put water on a kind of basin with a tube and a bowl. You can play notes on it, and it’s a strange, beautiful, very deep sound.”

An ethereal tone dominates the score to Disneynature’s OCEANS. The documentary offers an unprecedented look beneath the sea, exploring the playful splendor and the harsh reality of the weird and wonderful creatures that live within.

“OCEANS is more than a film. It is a manifest for nature,” Coulais said. To capture the great depth of OCEANS Coulais tries to convey through music how wonderful the world is, but also fragile. Coulais hopes through this film, and his music, the audience will have a greater understanding of how important it is to preserve the splendor of the oceans. His score is written for a full orchestra, a kind of concerto for harp and violin with electronic sounds. His score was recorded in Paris featuring French soloists Marielle Nordmann (harp) and Laurent Korcia (violin); along with the French choir Mikrokosmos.

BABIES is a visually stunning film that simultaneously chronicles the lives of four of the world’s newest human inhabitants – in Mongolia, Namibia, San Francisco and Tokyo, respectively. The joyful documentary follows the babies from first breath to first steps, on a journey at once universal and amazingly original.

“The music of BABIES was written for a very special orchestra that included a lot of toys, a string quintet, wind orchestra, ethnic instruments, piano and percussion,” says Coulais. “The words of the lyrics have no meaning. The vocals sound like the beginning of human language.” Although the cast of BABIES is international, “we didn’t want to adapt the music to the nationality of the babies, but to be universal.” Vocals were recorded by French artist Rosemary.

Coulais’s score to LES CHORISTES earned him an Academy Award-nomination, A BAFTA Award-nomination and won a Cesar Award. Other credits include LUCKY LUKE, VILLA AMALIA and the Academy Award-winning Winged Migration.

Author: Ray Costa
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

BABIES is a visually stunning film that simultaneously chronicles the lives of four of the world’s newest human inhabitants – in Mongolia, Namibia, San Francisco and Tokyo, respectively. The joyful documentary follows the babies from first breath to first steps, on a journey at once universal and amazingly original.

Sounds nice but isn't this documentary exactly like Le Premier Cri?

“The music of BABIES was written for a very special orchestra that included a lot of toys, a string quintet, wind orchestra, ethnic instruments, piano and percussion,” says Coulais. “The words of the lyrics have no meaning. The vocals sound like the beginning of human language.” Although the cast of BABIES is international, “we didn’t want to adapt the music to the nationality of the babies, but to be universal.” Vocals were recorded by French artist Rosemary.

OK. I think I will get this one. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And i will definitely not wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    And i will definitely not wink

Waaaaa! Tired of Coulais or that kind of score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    No, just read the description smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    D. doesn't like anything quirky.
    Or or melodic.
    Or powerful.
    Or old.
    Or new.
    Or fun.
    Or breathing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    k.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or verbose.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    BRUNO COULAIS - BABIES

DUE DATE FOR BRUNO COULAIS’ BABIES

SOUNDTRACK IS MAY 4

LOS ANGELES (April 16, 2010) – The trailer to Focus Features’ BABIES has become an internet sensation that the Today Show calls “three minutes of pure pleasure.” Indubitably the score by Annie award-winning composer Bruno Coulais (CORALINE, THE SECRET OF KELLS, WINGED MIGRATION) adds to the building buzz. Lakeshore Records announces that the BABIES soundtrack will be available in stores as well as iTunes and Amazon.com on May 4th. Beginning on Earth Day, April 22nd, his score to Disneynature’s OCEANS will be heard in theatres.

BABIES (opening Mother’s Day weekend) follows four of the world’s newest inhabitants from birth to first steps. Although the subjects live in different parts of the world – a small African village, a Mongolian farm, a bustling Tokyo and an environmentally conscious San Francisco the film joyfully captures the earliest stages of life that are at once unique and universal to us all.

“(Director) Thomas Balmès and I did not want to adapt the music to the nationality of the babies” said Bruno Coulais. “The music needed to show that no matter what their conditions are, wherever they live, these babies grow up happy as long as they are loved. We hoped to express that universal truth.”

“The music of BABIES was written for a very special orchestra,” said Coulais. “I used a lot of toys, a string quartet, a wind orchestra, ethnic instruments, piano and percussion. The words of the lyrics have no meaning. The vocals sound like the beginning of human language.”

Extracts from Ray Costa's pr.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    I'll be contacting a short interview with him sometime next week. Any questions you want answered? Post here or via pm. Thanks for your help.
  3. While visiting the Tenerife Fimucité concerts, I had the chance to listen to Bruno Coulais music for the first time. OK he didn't have an easy job, in the way that he was preceding Bear McCreary, the guy I actually came to Tenerife for, but all in all he made a really good impression on me.

Although he didn't conduct himself, he was present during the performance. It included some pieces from Microcosmos (La fin du rêve, La métamorphose, La plante carnivore, Les abeilles et les fleurs and Les patineuses), one piece from Himalaya (Norbu) and some pieces from Oceans (La raie, Les massacres, Un nouvel Ocean, Le temps des découvertes and La cavalerie sous la mer).

I particularly liked the Himalaya piece and the pieces from Oceans also appealed to me. The pieces from Microcosmos I didn't like as much.

After the concert was finished (and Bear McCreary basically brought the house down) I did have a short chat with him, thanking him for the opportunity to listen to his music. I have to say, I felt a little sad for him, because, he got a nice, friendly applause, but after McCreary's performance, the crowd went wild, with standing ovations and everything).

Bruno Coulais seemed like a very nice gentleman.
    I would definitely be interested in listening to some of his music.

Anything you guys can recommend me (because given my limited experience with the man, I'd love to hear your input).

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited
    I don't have as much as I would like by Coulais but everything I've heard of his I've liked.

Here's a piece from my favourite...

HIMALAYA - The Lake

and the scenery, filmed at Dolpa lake in Nepal is to die for love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    Himalaya is probably his best work to date; very heartfelt and human-centered.