• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Alternate download
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/?p=downloadday

Come on people! Lets break this record!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    I've just installed it also!It's really pretty good! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Can someone give me a simple, concise list of why Firefox is better than IE? (Not that I need preaching to, I use Firefox and have a Mac... so I can't use IE anyway.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Downloaded and used it too, it's EXTREMELY FAST ! But nothing beats the thumbnail bookmarks of OPERA. If they implemented that in firefox too, it would be the perfect browser. But DAMN it is FAST!

Steven, I.E. is ages behind both Opera and Firefox, especially when it comes to the overall speed. I don't know the specific details but i am sure our expert friends of the forum will brief you in.

Plus it has auto-spelling check for all languages, EXCELLENT tool!

Check this out: I.E. has NOTHING like these wink

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

And it auto-searches when you begin typing letters, words, url in the address bar! How cool is that?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    Anyway it's free, you can all download and see for yourselves, it doesn't need evidence to prove anything, it's all there for everyone to experience wink. Having said that, i am not entirely sure if i am going to switch to FIREFOX 3 from OPERA 'cause the latter has the thumbnail bookmarks which is absolutely kick ass imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    Has anyone already tried some of the bookmark features?

One very handy thing you might want to do for maintitles.net is the following:

- go to our search engine page
    - right click in the search field, choose "Add keyword for the search" or something like that
    - give it a name (for example 'maintitles.net')
    - give it a keyword (for example 'mt')
    - add it to one of your bookmarks
    - click ok

- now, go to the address bar, type 'mt' and a keyword
    - it'll redirect you immediately to the results

This is what I call handy. It's quick, extremely neat and it centralizes everything concerning surfing in the address bar (accessible via F6)

This is the way to use a browser! punk

People with other tips 'n tricks, let me know!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    A total of 7,775,415!

No idea about Guiness Record.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You mean it's not enough or you don't know at what number the Guiness Record is going to apply for this one?

Nice tip above btw. Is there a way to edit those keywords? or make maintitles.net/forum correspond to - say - "mt"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    You mean it's not enough or you don't know at what number the Guiness Record is going to apply for this one?

Both. wink

Nice tip above btw. Is there a way to edit those keywords? or make maintitles.net/forum correspond to - say - "mt"?

Yes, go to the place where you stored the keyword entry, right click and then Properties. Then you can edit the keyword.

If you want /forum/ to be the keyword for mt, just double click on the star in the addressbar, and add a label for it (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g30Xyh6Wqc, 1:35)
    Kazoo
  1. Hey first time Firefox user here! Seems fast enough and easy to use.

I may never go back to IE again. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Congratulations for making the transfer. You´ll never return to IE.
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Congratulations for making the transfer. You´ll never return to IE.

Well darn it, at work they're still using it, but then they have a license to use all of Bill's stuff, and nothing else. Damned idiots, huh?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. How do you see the yellow pop-up that displays whenever you hover over an image, like say a smiley. IE had that option, where's firefox's?

Also can I install my eBay toolbar on Firefox, how do you enable an external toolbar?

I like using it, but I don't see any major improvements over IE. I may get shot for making this statement but what the hell... So far it doesn't make me jump up in awe over its use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    eBay Firefox toolbar
    http://myfriendlyfox.com/extensions/ebay-toolbar/

Well, it may sound odd, but IE is wrong when it comes to the yellow boxes. It's part of the coding, so you have no message to that. But Firefox follows te rules, whereas IE obviously doesn't. The yellow box should only be shown when the 'title' attribute is used on images or links (like I do on this site). So, it's mostly the site that is wrong, in combination with IE's lack of knowledge.

Just try a bit more with Firefox. Have you tried some of the above tips I gave? Like the quick search engine. Also check out some of the extensions, use the tabs, use the bookmarks toolbar, ... try! wink

I just can't imagine going back to the slowness and limited browser that IE is. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    I still have firefox 2. Will all my add-ons and such be retained if i upgrade?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Some of them will not.

But a few days after the release, some of them were already updated for 3.0, and automatically detected. So it's a matter of time.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Im wondering why Firefox hasnt automatically upgraded (or told me to)

It's always done that before? Is it still a beta? Is there bugs? You'd think they'd have all their current users know about the upgrade...
  5. Bregt wrote
    eBay Firefox toolbar

Well, it may sound odd, but IE is wrong when it comes to the yellow boxes. It's part of the coding, so you have no message to that. But Firefox follows te rules, whereas IE obviously doesn't. The yellow box should only be shown when the 'title' attribute is used on images or links (like I do on this site). So, it's mostly the site that is wrong, in combination with IE's lack of knowledge.

Just try a bit more with Firefox. Have you tried some of the above tips I gave? Like the quick search engine. Also check out some of the extensions, use the tabs, use the bookmarks toolbar, ... try! wink

I just can't imagine going back to the slowness and limited browser that IE is. smile

Okay, I'll try out some more. Never look a given horse in the mouth before it's been put down or something along those lines biggrin

I still have to check those features you mention, will do!

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    The Firefox community is the proud new owner of a Guinness World Record — each and every one of you! Mozilla today received confirmation from Guinness World Records that we’ve officially achieved the record for the “largest number of software downloads in 24 hours.” From 18:16 UTC on June 17, 2008 to 18:16 UTC on June 18, 2008, 8,002,530 people downloaded Firefox 3!

This is another wonderful accomplishment in a long line of them for our community! Ever since Firefox was launched in 2004 we’ve relied on our community to help us spread the word, and thanks to projects including crop circles, newspaper ads, giant stickers, videos, blogs and more we now have over 180 million users in more than 230 countries. Incredible work!

Don’t forget to get your very own personalized Download Day certificate.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worl … icate_form
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    W0000T!

[nerd] I got mine printed!!!! [/nerd]
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    Bregt wrote
    The Firefox community is the proud new owner of a Guinness World Record — each and every one of you! Mozilla today received confirmation from Guinness World Records that we’ve officially achieved the record for the “largest number of software downloads in 24 hours.” From 18:16 UTC on June 17, 2008 to 18:16 UTC on June 18, 2008, 8,002,530 people downloaded Firefox 3!

This is another wonderful accomplishment in a long line of them for our community! Ever since Firefox was launched in 2004 we’ve relied on our community to help us spread the word, and thanks to projects including crop circles, newspaper ads, giant stickers, videos, blogs and more we now have over 180 million users in more than 230 countries. Incredible work!

Don’t forget to get your very own personalized Download Day certificate.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worl … icate_form

Yeah, I just received an email saying pretty much the same thing.
  6. Bregt wrote
    eBay Firefox toolbar

Bregt, does this mean I need to use Firefox now? shame biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Just got round to installing Firefox 3. Haven't even tried out any new features, but THE SPEED!! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Now I'm using Firefox 3. Wow man, the speed is about 10x that of IE here!! shocked Amazing stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Just got round to installing Firefox 3.

Ooh, thanks for that reminder, Anthony! Still gotta go do that... shame