• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote
    I don't know clip one. rolleyes slant

Bregt, shame on you, shows you must start listening to my movies scores more wink

Anyway, I have changed a couple of the hints on my first pot, I changed those who were almost never guessed so check the hints again smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. DreamCatcher, sorry DreamTheater has almost got Jupe by the ass while Bregje was clearly still dreaming after she saw my profile picture, but not to worry, I've changed some tips and added more info, I'm awaiting your second guesses folks

And ps, where are the real men? I'm not talking about Bregt, he's still under the weather from cheating on his exams yesterday

Contestants playing: 9

1. Jupe: 31 points smile
    2. DreamTheater: 29 points cool
    3. FalkirkBairn: 25 points wave
    4. Plindboe: 22 points
    5. Zirael: 20 points
    6. Ranietz: 13 points
    7. Ralph Kruhm & Christodoulides: 10 points
    8. Bregje: 5 points sleep

Guessed the Bonus: FalkirkBairn, Jupe & DreamTheater punk
    Now, who does feel lucky? You PUNK???
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008
    Bregt wrote

You fail at being a film music fan... you fail at the game of life!

Uh. I feel bad now. Love you...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008
    I haven't had time to take a listen yet. Busy with a conference/holiday in Florida. wave
    If this is still open this weekend then I'll take a stab at it.
  3. BhelPuri wrote
    I haven't had time to take a listen yet. Busy with a conference/holiday in Florida. wave
    If this is still open this weekend then I'll take a stab at it.

sure thing, I'll leave it open until after the weekend
  4. 5 Messages I received, 5 times more correct guesses, meaning a shift at the top and bottom

The new leader is Alan, closely followed by amazing scores from Jupe and Zirael
    Now has Gilles got something to add to that?
    And where's Bregt?

Luckily Bregje secuded me with her feminin qualities and I gave her 5 points extra! No not correct, she won them fair and square tongue

Contestants playing: 9

1. FalkirkBairn: 36 points wave
    2. Jupe: 35 points smile
    3. Zirael: 32 points
    4. DreamTheater & Ranietz: 29 points
    5. Plindboe: 22 points
    6. Ralph Kruhm, Christodoulides & Bregje: 10 points shame

Guessed the Bonus: FalkirkBairn, Jupe, DreamTheater & Ranietz punk

Of course, will there be a lucky weekend for someone else?
    You can win my fullest respect if you make first place, Joep common now's your chance biggrin
  5. I'll leave this game going until monday or tuesday, if people want to give the game a first or second shot
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    Ok, sorry, but school is finished, so I haven't been much active lately.

I'll send in tonight.
    Kazoo
  6. Remarkable rise of Bregje, while Bregt is a good liar
    But will he be the only one that can test Alan's impending victory?

And someone has, Jupe takes the lead, with one point above Alan

Contestants playing: 10

1. Jupe: 37 points wave
    2. FalkirkBairn: 36 points sad
    6. Bregje: 19 points wave
    7. Bregt: 15 points cool
    8. Ralph Kruhm & Christodoulides: 10 points

Guessed the Bonus: FalkirkBairn, Jupe, DreamTheater & Ranietz punk

The answers will be posted tomorrow, so last day to give me your answers
  7. Bregt wrote

Voila, goes to show you never can rely on Bregt to tell the truth
    15 points for the man punk
  8. Heads up, Jupe has taken the lead, congrats my boy
  9. The game has ended

Here are the final scores and answers. Congratulations to Jupe for winning this difficult game. And of course brilliantly done you all smile

1. Jupe: 37 points punk

2. FalkirkBairn: 36 points
    6. Bregje: 19 points
    7. Bregt: 15 points
    8. Ralph Kruhm & Christodoulides: 10 points

Here are the answers to all your questions

1. The Final Conflict: Omen III (1981) by Jerry Goldsmith (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    As said in the hint, this track blows everything of the Omen Saga away. The build up to the glorious choral music is one of Goldsmith's best creations, and the staggering power we witness makes it one of his finest ever written. This track is called "The Second Coming".

2. Amazing Stories (1985) by John Williams (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    Ahh, what a thrill ride. Even for Television, Williams throws his mighty voice at it. A brilliant build up, a send off like no other, this pilot captured the Williams at work like we hardly hear him today. This track is called "Jonathan Begins to Draw"

3. Empire of the Sun (1987) by John Williams (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    One of the few Spielberg/Williams creations that isn't remembered by the audience. And yet the score captures one of Williams' most glorious choral moments. This track is called “Cadillac of the Skies”

4. The Plague and the Moonflower (1989) by Richard Harvey
    You can download this track still at the site of the composer, and you better should give the entire album a chance. I love it because it holds a narrated tale covering some of Harvey's most inspired writing. This track is called “Finale / Rejouissance”

5. L'Enfant des Loups (1991) by Serge Franklin
    I don't know how I got this score in my possession but it was worth it. Still available at online shops in France, this orchestral/choral masterpiece shows a remarkable emotional value. It is Barry and Doyle mixed together, bringing a romanticized classically inclined score. This track is called “Les Amants Du Silence”

6. Toy Soldiers (1991) by Robert Folk
    One of Folk’s most stirring scores and sadly long out of print, Intrada was one of the few record labels that witnessed the strength of Folk’s action writing. In Toy Soldiers his rhythmic brassy stuff has never been any better. This track is called “Toy Soldiers”.

7. Iron Will (1994) by Joel McNeely (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    McNeely, McNeely, McNeely, when will I stop defending McNeely? Can’t help myself, the composer is that good. Orchestral fun, great action music and fanfares abound, Iron Will is just that. This track is called "Crossing The Line"

8. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995) by Graeme Revell
    Trust me, if you must chose a Revell score, the Power Ranger score it must be. It is orchestral fun, full of large themes and it doesn’t sound like a silly teenage album. This is serious, this is Revell at his best. This track is called "Zordon is Saved".

9. Operation Dumbo Drop (1995) by David Newman
    Walt Disney and David Newman, this weighty affair was perfect to give us various things: a wonderful soaring theme, a couple of amazing fanfares and this action track is 8 minutes of rollicking fun. This track is called "Operation Dumbo Drop".

10. Flipper (1996) by Joel McNeely
    The lovely laid back attitude reflects the dolphins swimming in the ocean, and when the brass jumps out, so do the dolphins jump out of the water. It is a perfect summer breezy piece that shows McNeely still got it. And you should then hear the heroic parts in the score! This track is called "Main Title".

11. Loch Ness (1996) by Trevor Jones (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    I nagged a long time for this score. I just couldn’t believe that a wonderful soaring score like that one remained unreleased. Persevearance Records luckily stopped the cry of myself and hundreds of others, and now we can enjoy each time the wonderful soaring music when we cross over the lake to explore Loch Ness. This track is called "The Expedition Prepares".

12. Muppet Treasure Island (1996) by Hans Zimmer
    How amazing POTC turned out to be, how fun Muppet Treasure Island simply is. The songs are catchy and loud, the score is full of energy and strength. His pirate theme is a hoot, and his sound was never any more obvious. Yet I chose the one clip where his sound wasn’t that obvious, and several people couldn’t directly locate a Zimmer in that soaring finale. This track is called "Honest, Brave & True".

13. Warriors of Virtue (1997) by Don Davis (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    Don Davis is the name and I wonder how many people would have guessed his sound if I didn’t mention bullet time (Matrix) composer? At least this orchestral ride is a fun one, and I would have loved if it packed more mayhem coming from the orchestra. A re recording could make of this an even more thrilling piece. This track is called "Forces of Nature".

14. Wing Commander (1999) by Kevin Kiner, theme by David Arnold
    The score is by Kevin Kiner and it is a nice score for a bad movie. But the theme is from David Arnold, and it is the theme that makes the album. I love it when you get syked from the very first minute. The Musketeer did it so so, but Wing Commander gives you a knockout feeling from the very first moment. This track is called "Overture".

15. On the Beach (2000) by Christopher Gordon
    A television score that feels like a motion picture score. For many, it was the big entrance of Christopher Gordon. And for most it is still his best. The emotional value in this score is extremely high, but I went here for his wonderful exciting fanfares. Recommended little gem. This track is called "Prepare to Dive".

16. Returner aka Ritana (2002) by Akihiko Matsumoto
    One of Asia's most cool movies, everything around Returner breaths the influence of Hollywood. Visually, artistically and musically. The score has a couple of wonderful orchestral cues, and Matsumoto spared the best for last. This track is called "Mother Earth".

17. Doctor Zhivago (2002) by Ludovico Einaudi
    I never knew of the man in person, and who knows if I ever will. But Doctor Zhivago has some wonderful emotional material, this cue is one of the many that makes the album an intriguing listening experience. This track is called "Farewell to the Past".

18. The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) by Edward Shearmur
    Perhaps one of Edward Shearmur’s most praised scores, this dark dramatic and tense score has some of his best moves. And when the rhythm picks up the pace, and the themes make the action happen, you know that Shearmur should do this more often. This track is called "An Invitation to the Ball".

19. The Descent (2005) by David Julyan (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    A lot of people didn’t get the Prestigious hint, with it I meant the Prestige of the same composer. But how bleak and boring that score was, how sometimes thrilling, eerie and powerful this score is. This particular cue shows sunlight appearing out of darkness. This track is called "The Descent".

20. The Thief Lord (2006) by Nigel Clarke & Michael Csányi-Wills
    It is not a particularly good score, but it is a particularly fine theme. It often reminds me of stuff like Chicken Run, or music where ex MV composers collaborated on. Goes to show how lovely the score would have been if they made the rest as well so memorable. This track is called "Thief Lord Theme & Chase".

Bonus
    Tremors (1990) by Robert Folk (Compilation still purchasable for an insane load of money at Screen Archives)
    The score has only been released under Ernest Rroost’s name. However he only wrote half of the music for the film. The second part and the action sequences hold all of Folk’s music. And trust me, if they ever release the score as heard in the film, you’ve got a superb horror score on your hands. This piece I hope confirms this for many. This track is "The Canyon Finale"

I hope everyone enjoyed the game and the clips
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Great set of clips! Now, the question remains: WHERE DO I GET Returner aka Ritana (2002) by Akihiko Matsumoto?!?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    Great set of clips! Now, the question remains: WHERE DO I GET Returner aka Ritana (2002) by Akihiko Matsumoto?!?!

good question, I searched some Japanese sites, and one shop had it but it was out of print
  11. Holy smackerony! shocked I should have guessed clip 3, I own the score, but it's been a while since I've played it. My head still hurts from the bruises I got after I slapped myself silly for missing this one!

Congrats to Jupe and all who played!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Congratulations Jupe and FalkirkBairn!

DreamTheater, I hit myself on the head for a similar reason - I've heard Count of Monte Cristo several times and missed that one! I hadn't heard the other ones I missed so I didn't feel so bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I want Toy Soldiers. NOW!!!! shocked
  12. DemonStar wrote

You really should. It´s a fraktastic action score from an era before everything went Zimmerish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

You really should. It´s a fraktastic action score from an era before everything went Zimmerish.

... and I can see it's quite a rare item too tongue
  13. DemonStar wrote

it is indeed a fine action score, fully orchestral and it plays wonderfully inside the movie
    killer stuff
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    When is the next Guess-the-score?
  14. Ranietz wrote
    When is the next Guess-the-score?

indeed, I only have a couple of clips ready yet, it will take some time to get another set together
    anyone who has something ready?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    How about a quiz about Disney scores? Shall I make a set of clips and send you? smile
  15. That sounds like fun. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    I think I'll make the clips but Tommy can host the game because IMHO he gives hints very well and I sometimes get jumbled up while giving out scores... tongue
  16. DemonStar wrote
    I think I'll make the clips but Tommy can host the game because IMHO he gives hints very well and I sometimes get jumbled up while giving out scores... tongue

you mean me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    DemonStar wrote

you mean me?

Yeah smile

and I sometimes get jumbled up while giving out scores...

I mean the points tongue
  17. DemonStar wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    DemonStar wrote

you mean me?

Yeah smile

and I sometimes get jumbled up while giving out scores...

I mean the points tongue

well, if you really want me to, I'll try to do my best smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    Ok, I'll PM you the links to the clips soon smile beer
  18. Well done, Jupe! rolleyes wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn