• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hey Ant I just took the info from Jeff's website... Go there !! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Hans-Zimmer.com says that this isn't the complete release.

You mean Hybrid says it isn't a complete release. So what is!?

Jeff Rona said it isn't a complete release. Check out his website. The version on iTunes is an EP.

Edit - Crikey, didn't see the second page. shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    Huh? I'm really confused. Is this the complete thing or not then? If not, where and when will the full score be available? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    That is NOT the full thing. The full thing will be out at some unspecified point in the future.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And it had better be better than iTunes quality!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    iTunes quality is not bad as long as it is iTunes Plus. it's the regular DRM iTunes that are bad. iTunes Plus should be as good as Amazon or any of the other non-DRM higher-quality download sites like amazon and *cough* emusic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    More info on the olympic games 2008 music thing:

http://hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=826
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Speaking of Olympics, I wonder if they'd ever release a compilation with the music from the opening/closing ceremonies. That'd be awesome...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sylvos wrote
    Speaking of Olympics, I wonder if they'd ever release a compilation with the music from the opening/closing ceremonies. That'd be awesome...

Which is what I thought this was...at least Rona's bit. confused What exactly is this?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Oh, this is totally different. Rona had nothing to do with the opening/closing ceremony's music. See here:

http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatu … _page1.htm
    • CommentAuthorjrona
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008 edited
    The full release of the Olympics concert suite is FINALLY available. I hope you'll give a listen, and (if you enjoy it) leave some feedback there. Thanks for all your interesting posts.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

jeff rona
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    jrona wrote
    The full release of the Olympics concert suite is FINALLY available. I hope you'll give a listen, and (if you enjoy it) leave some feedback there. Thanks for all your interesting posts.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=289780743&s=143441

jeff rona

That's great!! Thanks, Mr. Rona!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    Just purchased this tonight and listened to it for the first time. It's very interesting and I'm not sure what my initial reaction is. I enjoyed it, most definitely, but most of it is so far moved from the typical "Team Zimmer" sound that I'm left with less than I thought I would have to judge it by. I was thinking it might have a similar feel to Greenaway's "Millenium Celebration" composition, except with an Asian feel, but I was wrong on both counts. There is very little obvious Asian influence to this music, and there is also very little of the pure lightheartedness of the aforementioned Disney music. It's subdued (mostly), yearning music that is far more orchestral and classically-influenced than I was expecting. It would take someone with much more technical knowledge than me (like Demetris) to analyze how good the orchestra writing is, but I definitely enjoyed what I heard and will be giving it several more serious listens. Once I am more familiar with it I think I will type up a glowingly positive review for Amazon and iTunes that will (hopefully) help to sell this to people randomly browsing said sites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    I listened to it only once so far and it surely has a lot of dense writing and busy arrangements going on, certainly a lot of hard work took place for that. However, i didn't notice that much departure from the old RC style as you did; certainly i wasn't surprised but maybe i need to re-listen. I will and let you know, it is a very interesting release for sure though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My feeling of departure from RC was perhaps more in the "sound" than the actual writing. I heard none of the typical electronics and percussion and solo instruments, but instead a lot more orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The writing is close to the old-school RC sound (i.e. before the Djawadis and the Atlis), imo. The sound is different, more organic but the musical approach is standard Jeff Rona, only a bit denser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm not familiar with many of Rona's other works (though I intend to be in the near future), the only other ones I have are Sharkwater and A Thousand Roads and I've only listened to both a few times.

Does anyone know exactly what this music was written for? I think I'm most surprised by the lack of any of the typical "Asian" instruments that you would except from an RC guy writing for something Chinese...i.e. Last Samurai, The Promise, Kung Fu Panda, Pirates 3, etc etc.
  2. Typical "Asian" instruments... Don't forget that they settle down for the Chinese (The Promise, Panda) and Japanese (Last Samurai) instruments, just that.

Zimmer's work on Pirates 3 is an exception, because for the Singapore material, he used BOTH Chinese and Japanese instruments (notably and respectively erhu and koto).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    See but I'm not even familiar enough with Asian music, poor decieved Westerner that I am, to even know the slightest difference between Japanese and Chinese music. cool
  3. I am not too aware too, mind you. I know that certain instruments are Chinese and certain are Japanese. generally if you hear a koto and a shakuhachi (the wood flute used so much by Horner), that's Japanese and hearing an erhu means Chinese music. There are also some scale differences, but we would need a musicologist to expand on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I know the shakuhachi but I didn't know it was specifically Japaense per se. An erhu is the plucked-sounding thing that Zimmer uses at the beginning of the Singapore music? I'm not sure what a koto is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    I know the shakuhachi but I didn't know it was specifically Japaense per se. An erhu is the plucked-sounding thing that Zimmer uses at the beginning of the Singapore music? I'm not sure what a koto is.

The "Erhu" is a one stringed instrument that uses a bow, similar to a violin/viola/cello etc, but not really. It's often refered to as a Chinese Violin. spin

Here's a wiki on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhu
  4. Scribe wrote

The plucked instrument is a koto, which is a type of zither.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Even the RC/ZIMMER asian music you talk about it's a western-ized version of the genuine scales, instruments, sounds and arrangements they use. The 100% original asian music i've heard (and especially the Chinese opera) and analyzed a bit on the surface when in the uni, is 90% unbearable to any western ear.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    The 100% original asian music i've heard (and especially the Chinese opera) and analyzed a bit on the surface when in the uni, is 90% unbearable to any western ear.

Now that I've got to hear!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't want to, i am sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The 100% original asian music i've heard (and especially the Chinese opera) and analyzed a bit on the surface when in the uni, is 90% unbearable to any western ear.

Now that I've got to hear!

You could start with the Kung Fu Hustle soundtrack. It's one of my favorite album and does have some genuine Chinese pieces. My favorite piece is "Fisherman's Song of East China Sea" and "Daring General". They're about as good as it gets with Chinese instrumental composition; very vibrant and exciting musical passages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Oh, now I really want to! *glares playfully at Demetris*

because I like to think that I am more open-minded about music than the average individual. I have always taken for granted that the kind of Asian music that Team Zimmer produces is very westernized but I've always wanted to hear the real thing...do you have any examples of things I could check out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well you might like what lp is talking about, although i haven't heard it and i can't comment on it. The unbearable comment of mine mostly went to chinese opera wink That's what we analyzed at the uni.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well you might like what lp is talking about, although i haven't heard it and i can't comment on it. The unbearable comment of mine mostly went to chinese opera wink That's what we analyzed at the uni.

Care to share what those analytical comments were?