• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    sdtom wrote
    I still am of the opinion that some background info is necessary

I agree, but just as that...BACKGROUND info; point-of-departure; context. NOT as the main focus of the review. It would be like an art review spending most of the time talking about the paintbrush, canvas and frame and not about the actual artistic expression.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I try to talk a little about the film, composer, music, and then brief opinion of the soundtrack trying to keep it in the 500-700 range.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. The background is often necessary, when I write (rather large though) my reviews I always give a paragraph about the film and the score's background.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I already have the SAE release of The Killer Elite... It appears like this new Intrada has a whopping 4 extra minutes on it... Hm, I don't think I'll be getting out of my way to snag that one. Especially since Jerry Fielding limited edition releases have a tendency to disappear even faster than others, rather unnecessarily so if you ask me...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    cult?
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    n. Let's all keep track of the cool new John Williams release (2500 copies) and how well it sells.

Jazzy Johnny has never sold particularly well on the limited editions. Plenty of the FSM releases still available. I think Fitzwilly is the only one that sold out thus far.
  2. I notice that one of the Intrada releases penciled in for the 10th November is Jerry Fielding's Gray Lady Down.

This title has been speculated over at the Intrada forum the last few days/weeks but the interesting thing is that I found it over on the Amazon website - as a digital download release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gray-Lady-Down- … p;sr=301-1

Is Intrada now releasing these titles as digital downloads as well as their limited edition CD counterparts? If so, then I might not have to stay up late on Monday nights to see what's coming.

BTW, the clips sound like this score could be worth having.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
  3. No, Roger said it was more of an "obligation", as I recall him saying today at the Intrada forum.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Anybody know how the rest of "The Big Sleep" score Intrada released a few days ago, compares to the samples provided? I feel quite tempted.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    I too am interested
  5. An episode of an old radio show, "The Hardy Family", scored by Fielding:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/boxcars711/Ha … -10-50.mp3
    • CommentAuthorAlthazan
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Jerry Fielding - Straw Dogs - Intrada Special Collection limited to 2000 copies coming on March 30th.
    Source: Roger Feigelson's avatar on Intrada forum. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Althazan wrote
    Jerry Fielding - Straw Dogs - Intrada Special Collection limited to 2000 copies coming on March 30th.
    Source: Roger Feigelson's avatar on Intrada forum. smile

I haven't seen the movie and I don't know what to expect from the score. I didn't find anything that struck me immediately as a must-buy from the previous Intrada Fielding releases. But I just might give this one a shot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    I don't remember the music at all. A strange little film but worth seeing IMO, I believe the violence at the end of this film was very shocking in it's day, having watched it again a few years ago it's not exactly lightweight violence even by todays standards.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    I find Fielding's work very challenging and I don't enjoy much of it. I'd need to hear some samples before I would think of buying Straw Dogs.

It does seem to be a title that a lot of people are looking forward to though (at Intrada/FSM boards at least.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    Not a Fielding fan, so I'll pass, but I'll chime in on the film, which, like many Peckinpah films, I thought after all those years was still pretty violent and shocking. Not so much through the raw violence (though there's plenty of that), but through the brooding oppression and terror.
    Uncharacteristically for Peckinpah it plays much like a horror film. The helplessness of the protagonists is very unsettling. It is very well acted though. A film to certainly leave an impression.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's probably ( it IS ) the only film starring Dustin Hoffman set in Cornwall.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Now THAT was a pretty safe assumption!
    (Hardly even worthy of a quick True/False. wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    http://www.perseverancerecords.com/releases.html

Just received my review copy of THE GAUNTLET (1978), a film that Eastwood starred and directed in. The Fielding score is very very jazz based. It features Art Pepper (sax) and Jon Faddis (trumpet). If you enjoy jazz you'll like it and at $12.98 is a good value. The main title is the gospel song (unknown composer) Just a Closer Walk With Thee. If you've seen the movie I remember leaving the theater exhausted!!! I've never seen so many bullets fired at this bus in my entire life. I'll do a review of this Warner Bros release.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    If you've seen the movie I remember leaving the theater exhausted!!! I've never seen so many bullets fired at this bus in my entire life.

Agreed. I never liked this movie: the "shooting the house down" scene is even more over the top than the "shooting the bus" one. I like a good action movie as much as the next guy, but this was just ridiculous.
    Several million bullets does not equal a good action scene.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    If you've seen the movie I remember leaving the theater exhausted!!! I've never seen so many bullets fired at this bus in my entire life.

Agreed. I never liked this movie: the "shooting the house down" scene is even more over the top than the "shooting the bus" one. I like a good action movie as much as the next guy, but this was just ridiculous.
    Several million bullets does not equal a good action scene.

I've only seen the film once and had forgotten all about that! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Once is quite adequate enough. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/t … -fielding/
    a nice jazz score, however
  6. ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ / HELL IS FOR HEROES

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 236
    Date: 1979 / 1962
    Tracks: 29
    Time = 70:04

World premiere of two dramatic soundtracks to Paramount films directed by Don Siegel. Appearing first is brief score by Leonard Rosenman for intense, highly regarded WWII action film HELL IS FOR HEROES starring Steve McQueen, Bobby Darin, Fess Parker. Rosenman launches with one of his most exciting "Main Title" sequences of his career, then settles in for closer look at psychology of men in war. Intrada presents complete score in stereo from original three-channel scoring session masters. Second up is longer, highly complex score by Jerry Fielding for Clint Eastwood prison picture ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ. Combination of director Siegel, star Eastwood, composer Fielding guarantees success, this one is no exception. Deliberate movie allows composer to examine confined spaces, cold conditions of containment through use of 'musique concrete' techniques. As Fielding described score in 1979 lecture: "It's all hardware... steel on steel... it's Alcatraz. There's nothing lyrical about it; there's nothing poetic about it. It's an awful place." Quietly intense, slow-buring music was first played by orchestra, then manipulated in variety of manner during later mixing phase to create distinctly unorthodox, experimental music, highly unusual for films. Complete score appears, including alternates. Due to unusual nature of score, where much of it was created mechanically in studio after recording, finished mixes in varying stages of mono, multiple mono and stereo are necessarily the only elements that can be presented. They have been expertly mixed here into two-channel stereo by Chris Malone to afford optimal listening pleasure. Flipper cover allows original Paramount campaign artwork from either film to show as front cover (you choose your favorite!) plus stills, liner notes by John Takis and complete cue assembly details help round out exciting package. Leonard Rosenman, Jerry Fielding conduct. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

Hell Is for Heroes
    Composed and Conducted by Leonard Rosenman

01. Main Title 1:45
    02. Reese 0:54
    03. Off Limits Bar 0:34
    04. Belligerent Reese 0:53
    05. Homer’s Disappointment 1:15
    06. Back to the Line 2:29
    07. The Mine Field, Part 1 4:35
    08. The Mine Field, Part 2 1:20
    09. Battle Shock and Reese’s Rage 0:59
    10. Kennedy’s Speech/End Title 1:09