• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    If I may ...*ahem!*....play devil's advocate for a moment, do you believers here believe that God created the Earth as the centre of the entire universe with mankind in his own image?

I don't think Earth is the center of the universe. But the Bible does say man was made in God's image.

Why you don't believe Earth is the centre of the universe? (Not that I'm saying it is.)

Just what I've heard from other people who have religious beliefs.

Wait, what have you heard? That it's not the center of the universe? confused

That it IS the centre of the universe.

Hmmm... OK. Well, personally, I've never thought that, but maybe others do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Concerning the original topic:

http://www.californiajudgment2008.citym … 415325.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This site "was" dedicated to documenting the mountain of evidence July 8, 2008 could have been the next Major Judgment Date to fulfill Holy Scripture!!!

July 9, 2008 > Today is July 9 and as far as we can see we are past the primary danger timezone of July 8, 2008 for Southwest California. We always said from day one we did not know 100% for sure if any calamity would happen only that the evidence met the minimum threshold to take precautionary action.

Many people in the end came to that same conclusion as well so we had to come forward and make the evidence public and err on the side of caution and let everyone decide for themselves if they wanted to react to this information or not.
    We sincerely apologize to anyone who might have gotten upset by this. Obviously it never was a pleasant topic to have to deal with. At the same time we are truly thankful the day has past and no one got hurt from a major calamity in California.
    Remember however just because July 8 has past every terrorism expert is still predicting its only a matter of time America will get hit with another 911 and California still remains the #1 primary tgt state with many prophecies still predicting calamity coming to California.
    The only difference now from our view is we don't have any biblical insight for a specific timeframe for the next 911 or any of these events. May God forgive us for our errors and lead us into the truth of where we really are in these endtimes. We pray for mercy to be warned out of harms way and be led into the truth of his salvation thru our Lord Jesus Christ. amen.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do love the "could have been" in the first sentence followed by three exclamation points. biggrin Could have been=Didn't happen, so there's absolutely no need to place those exclamation points. Even a full stop would have been an overstatement. biggrin

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Concerning the Earth as the center thing, there are many creationists that believe everything revolves around the Earth, due to verses like these. But it's of course up to interpretation. The Bible writers in all likelyhood believed that the Earth was flat, and that the heavenly bodies revolved around it, luckily we know better today.

Peter smile
  1. plindboe wrote
    Concerning the original topic:

http://www.californiajudgment2008.citym … 415325.htm

This site "was" dedicated to documenting the mountain of evidence July 8, 2008 could have been the next Major Judgment Date to fulfill Holy Scripture!!!

July 9, 2008 > Today is July 9 and as far as we can see we are past the primary danger timezone of July 8, 2008 for Southwest California. We always said from day one we did not know 100% for sure if any calamity would happen only that the evidence met the minimum threshold to take precautionary action.

Many people in the end came to that same conclusion as well so we had to come forward and make the evidence public and err on the side of caution and let everyone decide for themselves if they wanted to react to this information or not.
    We sincerely apologize to anyone who might have gotten upset by this. Obviously it never was a pleasant topic to have to deal with. At the same time we are truly thankful the day has past and no one got hurt from a major calamity in California.
    Remember however just because July 8 has past every terrorism expert is still predicting its only a matter of time America will get hit with another 911 and California still remains the #1 primary tgt state with many prophecies still predicting calamity coming to California.
    The only difference now from our view is we don't have any biblical insight for a specific timeframe for the next 911 or any of these events. May God forgive us for our errors and lead us into the truth of where we really are in these endtimes. We pray for mercy to be warned out of harms way and be led into the truth of his salvation thru our Lord Jesus Christ. amen.

I do love the "could have been" in the first sentence followed by three exclamation points. biggrin Could have been=Didn't happen, so there's absolutely no need to place those exclamation points. Even a full stop would have been an overstatement. biggrin

Peter cool

I've only just stumbled onto this thread. The message you quote there is either delusion-itself, or a very witty person sending up soapbox eschatology! It reminds me of my confusion after reading Michael Drosnin's BIBLE CODE - not as to whether there was anything to it (clearly there wasn't), but as to whether the author was having a bit of fun at everyone's expense.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    If I may ...*ahem!*....play devil's advocate for a moment, do you believers here believe that God created the Earth as the centre of the entire universe with mankind in his own image?

Hmm... we never had this as a belief to be honest, and obviously I don't believe that because I know it's not true. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    franz,

it's unbelievable indeed, but people really are that delusional. Check out http://randi.org/ and the forums. It's simply beyond belief what ideas people can ascribe to, especially when there's a religious bias involved.

My experience with these judgement predictions are usually an excuse of some kind whenever the predictions fails. I expected at least a "God chose to save the judgement for another day, these verses and some numerology shows us why and when...". Or I expected that he would have pointed at the biggest event that happened on that day; a dog hit by a car or something, and exclaimed "See! I told you so!!!". Seems he says that he was wrong, though he for some reason still insists that the biblical evidence shows otherwise.

Peter smile
  2. I remember a Simpsons episode.

Lisa: Dad, I could tell you this rock protects me from tigers.
    Homer: Why?
    Lisa: Because I've never been attacked by a tiger while holding it.
    Homer: (Pause.) How much do you want it for?!
    Lisa rolls eyes.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, except as parable for how easily people buy into random correlations, which is relevant when discussing numerology.

I'm hesitant to get further into a religious discussion, but just to throw in something that is quite relevant. These sorts of 'here comes the end' are often associated with Christianity. I suppose if someone is expecting an 'End', then they are naturally going to be concerned with when that 'End' would come. (Noone of an agnostic persuasion would care, since you're not expecting an 'End' in the same way, or at all.) However Scripture does encourage people not to concern themselves with the logistics of an unforeseen End, but rather to address the state of their hearts on an ongoing basis. Ironically, I've seen preachers and numerologists attempt to deduce the timing of the 'End' from the very passages that say that no men actually know when it will be. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    I remember a Simpsons episode.

Lisa: Dad, I could tell you this rock protects me from tigers.
    Homer: Why?
    Lisa: Because I've never been attacked by a tiger while holding it.
    Homer: (Pause.) How much do you want it for?!
    Lisa rolls eyes.

biggrin

Classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    LSH wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I feel so sorry for you!

To be honest, I feel sorry for him. Oh, and he is a Christian. A school like that would not employ non-Christian teachers for the R.E. department! No way.

I had somehow managed to overlook this post, but now that I see it... I'm speechless. No Christian I know of would dare act that way, or anything like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    So this is a thread about, like, religion and stuff?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Dude, you got that one right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Religion?

Where?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One thing I've learned is that I'm not the center of the universe.
    Thomas cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, Martijn is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Better believe it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it.

Oh you certainly do!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it.

Not cool....looks more DRUNK tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Better believe it.

Not cool....looks more DRUNK tongue

biggrin biggrin biggrin !

"Drunk kitteh
    iz nonchalant"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    I kNOW what a drunk kitteh looks like, gentlemen. And I am not it. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I kNOW what a drunk kitteh looks like, gentlemen. And I am not it. angry

The other one looks more drunk so no, you don't know.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know everything.
    (this one's dedicated to Steven, incidentally).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Even though it upsets people on occasion its nice to be able to say "you could be right" and just walk away.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Even though it upsets people on occasion its nice to be able to say "you could be right" and just walk away.
    Thomas smile

It would be nice if religious people could say that, you're absolutely right! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I know everything.
    (this one's dedicated to Steven, incidentally).

Ahh, the world be a much nicer place if people were more like Prof. Dawkins. sad He's such a sweet natured, lovely person. Wouldn't hurt a fly!

Sorry, totally got sidetracked. The guy's a legend!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

It would be nice if religious people could say that, you're absolutely right! biggrin

In a simple and more accepting world that would solve one feck load of problems.
  4. Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Hey, we can't prove anything (or not much), don't get us wrong. The very fact that we believe at all in what you find unbelievable is actually an interesting theological area. The ability to have faith in God is a gift from God according to Scripture, and is independent of the hope that may come from seeing a miracle of God. (Strange to talk about faith and hope as jargon, but I suppose that's what they are.)

I'll come close to what Tom suggests and say: 'Hey you could be right, it's just that I don't think you are.' smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Hey, we can't prove anything (or not much), don't get us wrong. The very fact that we believe at all in what you find unbelievable is actually an interesting theological area. The ability to have faith in God is a gift from God according to Scripture, and is independent of the hope that may come from seeing a miracle of God. (Strange to talk about faith and hope as jargon, but I suppose that's what they are.)

I'll come close to what Tom suggests and say: 'Hey you could be right, it's just that I don't think you are.' smile

Franz_conrad, if I may, what is your religion? confused
  5. Umm... Christianity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

Do I detect some.....hesitation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Umm... Christianity.

Do I detect some.....hesitation?

biggrin