• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    SECOND ‘BUDGET BOX SET’ OFFERS ANOTHER FIRST WITH ONLINE LINER NOTES

The Naked Spur: Classic Western Scores From M-G-M is Film Score Monthly’s latest 3-disc set featuring five scores by Bronislau Kaper, Daniele Amfitheatrof and Jeff Alexander

Linden, VA – July 8, 2008 – This month, Film Score Monthly not only offers five never-before-released soundtracks at once, but takes another innovative step in keeping costs down for film music fans.

The sequel album to The Unforgiven: Classic Western Scores From United Artists (now out of print and sold out!) is drawn from the M-G-M film library this time. The Naked Spur: Classic Western Scores From M-G-M features five westerns from 1950-1956: two by Bronislau Kaper, two by Daniele Amfitheatrof and one by Jeff Alexander.

And with this album, FSM introduces another new concept in soundtrack presentation: online liner notes. Simply visit www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes for complete annotations on the films and scores (with track-by-track breakdowns) that would normally be presented in an extensive CD booklet. These online notes are printable and free to anyone! (Please Note: FSM is NOT going to do online notes for every CD. They will be used a few times a year on “budget” presentations to keep costs down – passing the savings on to the collector.)

The scores presented on the new 3-CD set are:

The Naked Spur (1953): The best of the James Stewart-Anthony Mann westerns features Stewart as a bounty hunter relentlessly tracking outlaw Robert Ryan. Bronislau Kaper’s score is akin to “western noir” in its dark, obsessive strains.

The Wild North (1952): This “Northern” variation on a western starred Stewart Granger as a French-Canadian fur trapper hunted by a Mountie (played by Wendell Corey), with Kaper’s score combining “big sky” sweep and suspenseful strains.

The Last Hunt (1956): Stewart Granger and Robert Taylor starred as buffalo hunters in a film directed by Richard Brooks that takes a sympathetic look at Native Americans. The excellent score by Daniele Amfitheatrof (a composer virtually unrepresented on CD) features dramatic music for the film’s violent conflicts as well as melodic and spiritual material for the Indian culture.

Devil’s Doorway (1950): In another Mann western, Robert Taylor played a Shoshone Indian trying to keep his people from being thrown off their land. Amfitheatrof’s music again shines in its poetic and beautiful evocation of the Native American culture.

Escape From Fort Bravo (1953): William Holden, Eleanor Parker and John Forsythe starred in this Civil War adventure film about the escape of Confederate prisoners from a Union stockade. The exciting adventure score by Jeff Alexander features two songs: a lovely ballad, “Soothe My Lonely Heart” (music and lyrics by Alexander, sung by Bill Lee) and “Yellow Stripes” (a calvary march by Stan Jones).

The scores come in a combination of complete, clean mono (The Naked Spur), complete mono including some use of acetates (The Wild North), complete stereo (The Last Hunt), incomplete mono (Devil’s Doorway), and largely complete stereo with some damaged sections (Escape From Fort Bravo). In addition to the online material, the set comes with a 12-page booklet of introductory liner notes (unique to the set) by Lukas Kendall, featuring art direction by Joe Sikoryak.

FSM’s first western collection sold out in a matter of months, so don’t let this one get by you! Round it up today from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10082

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Nice to see the innovation on on-line liner notes - particularly from a source such as FSM who always produce excellent liner notes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Ed, at SAE, feels it will sell out quickly.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd love to get it but I have too much outgoing expenses at the moment. Electric, Gas, Phone and general living etc slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I'd love to get it but I have too much outgoing expenses at the moment. Electric, Gas, Phone and general living etc slant

Screw those! What you need is a 5-disc Western set to keep you warm. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is one set that I intend to follow closely and see how long it takes to sell out. It is a series of 5 'B' westerns from composers who were not on the 'A' list.

Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Screw those! What you need is a 5-disc Western set to keep you warm. wink

Mayhap I could hang the discs from my window to help reflect sunlight into my house? FSM goes green cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wonder what I'll do when there are no CD's, liner notes; in otherwords no hard copy of anything anymore. You'll find everything on the net.
    Tom smile