• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    If you're the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra, then not many times at all.

Have you ever seen them recording? Or is it just a universal fact that they're that good? confused

A universal fact. Well known through interviews from composers, performers and all manner or people in the film scoring biz. I think other orchestras are quite well adapt at performing pieces 'off the cuff' too, like the LSO, but the HSO is pretty well renowned for their quick professionalism in an increasingly fast moving business.

Interesting. So I assume the orchestra is comprised of some of the world's greatest musicians?

They are film music specific and have enormous experience on film music. So yes, when it comes to film music, they're one of the (if not THE) best orchestras to have. Working absolutely perfectly, like a Swedish thousand dollar clock.

Wow, that's really cool. How long have they been around?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Way too many quotes! I'm confused
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Way too many quotes! I'm confused
    Thomas smile

biggrin Just read the bottom quote.
  1. One thing must be corrected - Hollywood Studio Symphony (which is the film music specific group of Hollywood session musicians, part of the, correct me if I'm wrong, AFM union) and Hollywood Symphony Orchestra are different ensembles.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    One thing must be corrected - Hollywood Studio Symphony (which is the film music specific group of Hollywood session musicians, part of the, correct me if I'm wrong, AFM union) and Hollywood Symphony Orchestra are different ensembles.

I know that... I assume you were referring to Steven incorrectly calling the Hollywood Studio Symphony the Hollywood Symphony?
  2. Yeah.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah.

OK. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    One thing must be corrected - Hollywood Studio Symphony (which is the film music specific group of Hollywood session musicians, part of the, correct me if I'm wrong, AFM union) and Hollywood Symphony Orchestra are different ensembles.

The names sure don't sound that different. slant (But yes, you are quite right of course. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    I have seen different members in the Hollywood Studio Symphony.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    On a different note, does anyone know what orchestra performed the score to David Arnold's Amazing Grace? I'm having a hard time finding it on the Web.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    The City of Prague Philharmonic has come a LONG way since they first started their film music compilations for Silva in the 90's. They have specialized so much in film music - from alternative European cinema to mainstream Hollywood blockbusters - that they have become very fluent in this idiom. So they certainly deserve to be cut some slack.

As for this topic, it is dependent upon so many factors, as Demetris says, plus I'm not really sure I have the ears to distinguish between many good orchestras. But obviously, the LSO has always been a favourite for me as well - not only because of their technical skill, but also because of their artistry and VERSATILITY (they can play ANYTHING equally well!). The pick-up orchestras in Hollywood aren't too shabby either, but mostly due to their technical skill. I don't think they have the same artistic level or "musical introspectiveness" as the heavyweighters such as LSO, Berlin PO, New York PO etc.

I also have to give extra kudos to the brass section of the Sinfonia of London. It kicks ass!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Thor wrote
    But obviously, the LSO has always been a favourite for me as well - not only because of their technical skill, but also because of their artistry and VERSATILITY (they can play ANYTHING equally well!). The pick-up orchestras in Hollywood aren't too shabby either, but mostly due to their technical skill. I don't think they have the same artistic level or "musical introspectiveness" as the heavyweighters such as LSO, Berlin PO, New York PO etc.

I agree. I'm guessing the classical orchestras are much more into the music, the depth and message of it all. After all, with film music, it's not as much about creating a good interpretation or playing the notes as a means of letting the music speak as it is simply playing and recording something to match up with what's going on on the screen. However, some orchestras like the LSO do manage to put some real emotion into what they're playing for film. You can feel it resonating from every note they play. It's one thing to be able to play a piece with great technical skill, but another thing entirely to actually understand the music you're playing. Sometimes, I wonder if musicians become so concerned with getting the notes out right, that they forget about the emotional and communicative powers of what they're playing... if it's played correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    ... And the YouTube Symphony is added to our ever-growing list of orchestras.

http://www.youtube.com/user/symphony

Apparently this has been around for a couple of years, but amazingly enough, I just heard about it tonight for the first time. dizzy shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    Thor wrote
    But obviously, the LSO has always been a favourite for me as well - not only because of their technical skill, but also because of their artistry and VERSATILITY (they can play ANYTHING equally well!). The pick-up orchestras in Hollywood aren't too shabby either, but mostly due to their technical skill. I don't think they have the same artistic level or "musical introspectiveness" as the heavyweighters such as LSO, Berlin PO, New York PO etc.

I agree. I'm guessing the classical orchestras are much more into the music, the depth and message of it all. After all, with film music, it's not as much about creating a good interpretation or playing the notes as a means of letting the music speak as it is simply playing and recording something to match up with what's going on on the screen. However, some orchestras like the LSO do manage to put some real emotion into what they're playing for film. You can feel it resonating from every note they play. It's one thing to be able to play a piece with great technical skill, but another thing entirely to actually understand the music you're playing. Sometimes, I wonder if musicians become so concerned with getting the notes out right, that they forget about the emotional and communicative powers of what they're playing... if it's played correctly.

I think it's more in the hands of the conductor. An orchestra on its own is a football team without a coach. Whenever they get hired for a project, whenever they work with their usual conductor, the coach is the conductor. Without a good coach, the team won't perform as well. With a great coach, their potential is unleashed. The LSO are certainly one of the finest orchestras in the world and thankfully have worked with some of the finest talent around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Thor wrote

Like implying that film music has no emotion in it simply 'cause composers and players are bored their asses off and just want the job done quickly and over. Have you ever watched a recording session's video? Or talked with people who have been on location on recording sessions? Or actually been at such a session yourself? Or on the contrary - on location of classical music performances / rehearsals and / or recordings?

If that's what you're saying, i am sorry but it's stupid. Th one performance of a group resorts mostly on their experience, and motivation. If a conductor is doing their job correctly, there's enough passion and energy running through the ensemble for the whole process dealing with the said music; If the music itself has something to say so too, there's not a single professional musician out-there who will remain unmoved by it, no matter what the LABEL on it reads; 'cause it's all about labels in the end of the day. Film music derived and borrows from the classical and romantic eras and especially some of the works of the great guys in the genre resemble a lot; to actually propose that the musicians get bored when recording film music, you should actually extend it backwards to everything programme-music as well. ALL these are BS, they are man-made Labels. Of course they are pieces and works of varying qualities outthere and that goes for both film music, classical, whatever. If the work has something to say, has meaning and passion in it, coupled with a conductor who knows and loves his work, then the result is guaranteed to have as much energy and passion in it as any other passionate classical work out there, and it shows. IN COUNTLESS FILM SCORE RECORDINGS OUT THERE, THROUGH THE YEARS.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    if you don't have #1 players they won't sound well
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed; a motivated conductor and inspired players who are simultaneously excellent musicians and fully possess the art of the instrument, guarantee a perfect result in all terms, regardless of the label and the labeled genre the piece carries.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    if a conductor who could be the composer can make a difference in how a particular instrument emphasizes, the tempo, audio level etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote
    Thor wrote

Like implying that film music has no emotion in it simply 'cause composers and players are bored their asses off and just want the job done quickly and over. Have you ever watched a recording session's video? Or talked with people who have been on location on recording sessions? Or actually been at such a session yourself? Or on the contrary - on location of classical music performances / rehearsals and / or recordings?

If that's what you're saying, i am sorry but it's stupid. Th one performance of a group resorts mostly on their experience, and motivation. If a conductor is doing their job correctly, there's enough passion and energy running through the ensemble for the whole process dealing with the said music; If the music itself has something to say so too, there's not a single professional musician out-there who will remain unmoved by it, no matter what the LABEL on it reads; 'cause it's all about labels in the end of the day. Film music derived and borrows from the classical and romantic eras and especially some of the works of the great guys in the genre resemble a lot; to actually propose that the musicians get bored when recording film music, you should actually extend it backwards to everything programme-music as well. ALL these are BS, they are man-made Labels. Of course they are pieces and works of varying qualities outthere and that goes for both film music, classical, whatever. If the work has something to say, has meaning and passion in it, coupled with a conductor who knows and loves his work, then the result is guaranteed to have as much energy and passion in it as any other passionate classical work out there, and it shows. IN COUNTLESS FILM SCORE RECORDINGS OUT THERE, THROUGH THE YEARS.

shame Demetris, I never intended to get across the idea that I think film music is without emotion. 'Cause I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    if a conductor who could be the composer can make a difference in how a particular instrument emphasizes, the tempo, audio level etc.

What are you saying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009
    I'm talking about the overall sound and performance of the work performed
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    I'm talking about the overall sound and performance of the work performed

I understand what you're talking about, I just don't get the point you're trying to make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A conductor/composer usually has a better feel for his own music as he created it so he truly knows how it should sound, tempo, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    A conductor/composer usually has a better feel for his own music as he created it so he truly knows how it should sound, tempo, etc.

Ah, I understand. And I agree. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2009
    Good
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    Is it just me, or does the LSO sound a lot - different than usual - in their performance of Edelman's Mummy 3?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    Not by their performance, no, but the mixing and integration of electronics make the orchestra sound a lot smaller than the 103-pieces Edelman used.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009
    Matt C wrote
    Not by their performance, no, but the mixing and integration of electronics make the orchestra sound a lot smaller than the 103-pieces Edelman used.

Ah, so that's it. I absolutely detest Edelman's electronics. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    The Philharmonia is becoming a new favorite of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    Which Philharmonia? The London Philharmonia? Any particular reason/s why?