• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    I thought I would add the group who composed the music for David Lynch's Dune in 1984.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    what do you think of Dune?
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    I thought it was weirdly great. I made a post on MMUK about it. Unforunately it's not as great as on CD, when I'm listening to it driving to school.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    that thread says almost nothing about the score and has 3 pagse of off topic
    It has grown on me the past while, so much so that it's in top ten (maybe five) favourite scores. Stop laughing, I can hear it. Toto, the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, a sizable choir, and electronics, who would have thought? This is definitely one of the best incorporations of guitars and orchestra that I have ever heard, something that Trevor Rabin is still working on. The electronics are accenting the orchestra, not replacing the orchestra (like cough cough Media Ventures).

I know the score has aged (obviously), mostly because a rock band did it, but it doesn't seem that aged. The electric guitars add to the score in power (no pun intended) more than they take away in agefulness.

The main theme doesn't change in variation at all, aka John Barry like, it's good so it can get away with it. The themes for the movie (kinda like a sci-fi Lawerence of Arabia), Paul (dark/disonant), Leto (noble), Fremen (mysterious), the love theme (err love like?), the dream/mourning theme (repeating choral piece) etc are quite simplistic and effective as you might expect from a rock band (which musical help from Marty Paich, who taught James Newton Howard).

Although I mention the themes, the score spends most of its time under the surface. The action cues are very decent, with action motifs developed as the cues progress. The last minute of "Big Battle" is absolutely sublime.

I agree with Christian Clemm about Eno's "Prophecy theme", it works great in the film, but when you listen to it on the album, you realize that, 2 minutes in, nothing is happening.

Granted, there are some unlistenable parts, but they are few fortunately. You can also hear some of the influences for the score like Shostokovich's Symphony #11. But that was intended by David Lynch. The end credits, is quite originally Toto, with them doing what Toto does, soft rock and such with orchestral and choral backing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO it's the best DUNE score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Is it worth the $20, though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I personally can't stand it and i can't help myself giggling a bit when i see people calling it the best dune score wink tongue kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    James Newton Howard did some totally gorgeous orchestral arrangements on Toto IV. The horn lines on "I Won't Hold You Back" are just insanely beautiful.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wonderful score. Toto rocks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Wonderful score. Toto rocks!

Always been a fan of this score. A classic!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I personally can't stand it and i can't help myself giggling a bit when i see people calling it the best dune score wink tongue kiss

As you can see, I'm not alone in loving this one. Far more varied and nowhere near as generic as Revel's and Tyler's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

As you can see, I'm not alone in loving this one. Far more varied and nowhere near as generic as Revel's and Tyler's.

Revel's isn't good indeed but Tyler's, albeit the originality issues, is ages beyond imo mate smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. He's right Tim! Mancini's LIFEFORCE, Ravel's Bolero and ethnic percussion are all much older than Toto's score! Only that familiar Rabin chord progression and the faux Lisa Gerrard vocals give away that Tyler wrote his score after Toto. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't realise that the Lone Ranger's horse had written a score for Dune. Probably better than Graeme Revell's.
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    Southall wrote
    I didn't realise that the Lone Ranger's horse had written a score for Dune. Probably better than Graeme Revell's.

The Lone Ranger's horse was named "Silver". Perhaps you're thinking of his Indian sidekick "ToNto". If you were going to make a joke you could easily have gone with a Wizard of Oz reference...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    God damn it. And I thought I was being so clever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    TOTO is a famous Japanese manufacturer of toilets...
    wink

Actually I know nothing about the rock band TOTO, except that I heard John William's son (who sang Adult Simba's part on The Lion King songs) was involved in it...?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Yes, Joseph Williams was in Toto, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    He's right Tim! Mancini's LIFEFORCE, Ravel's Bolero and ethnic percussion are all much older than Toto's score! Only that familiar Rabin chord progression and the faux Lisa Gerrard vocals give away that Tyler wrote his score after Toto. wink

LOL biggrin
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    Southall wrote

Swing and a miss, as usual for Mr. Southall.

But anyway, the battle music in Dune is a bit well... underwhelming.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Dune is great and TOTO ROCKS!!!!! one of my favorite bands.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Swing and a miss, as usual for Mr. Southall.

But anyway, the battle music in Dune is a bit well... underwhelming.

There's a lot more to scoring than just "battle" music. Toto's Dune is great, the mystic elements are scored perfctly.
    Yes I know that, but I'm just saying that the battle cues are a bit underwhelming.

You're shooting at the wrong person, fool!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Yes I know that, but I'm just saying that the battle cues are a bit underwhelming.

You're shooting at the wrong person, fool!

Less of the "fool" thankyou.

Point taken, it's not a CD I would put on for battle music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    KevinSmith wrote
    fool!

A bit more Silent Bob would not go amiss here... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    fool!

A bit more Silent Bob would not go amiss here... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    God damn it. .

Could we please watch the GD language , Thanks.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    rolleyes