• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    Goldsmith's score to Patton is a 'character' in the film, it's vital to the story IMO. And that's a vital thing missing with many of today's scores, and as much as I enjoy them they do tend to be 'wallpaper music'. Perhaps it's too easy to generalize like that, but scores like Patton are certainly a rare thing.

They are. I suspect they were then too - PATTON has a discipline in its scoring that too few films of film scoring's Golden Age can boast. In those years Goldsmith was particularly good at the kind of score that had an unusual presence in a story. David Shire was also a master, though one with fewer opportunities.

There are some film composers today who can pull off an interesting story in a film's music, but so many are content to drape themes-and-variations over obvious points of emphasis. (E.g. a heroic theme, a love theme, a father theme, etc.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Steven wrote
    Contact Alan Silvestri

One of my favourite scores to one of my favourite films (which I admit has its faults). This complete version starts off with 'A History Of Sound', which is a collection of various famous songs and radio signals cleverly taking us back in time used at the very beginning of the film in a stunning zoom-out from Earth to the edge of the universe. It's a natural inclusion on this complete album and for those who've seen the film it makes a great start to the score.

Silvestri is (in)famous for creating quite loud and noisy scores, but it's amazing how he can counteract that with truly subtle and effective music. It's clear from the music he was quite passionate about this project, or at least the story.

I agree about the score but I don't about the movie: it's totally brilliant in my book: full of neat camera tricks and stunning special effects and suspense, that scene where they prep the machine shocked . Superb performances all round and very though provoking in the end. The movie also has one of the all time best sound designs, watch this movie on a good surround system and you'll be blown away I guarantee it.

I like Zemeckis' features in general very much, discovered by Spielberg and having established his own cinematic style. Contact rules and Silvestri's entry is a good one, very atmospheric.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Great score to a great film. The use of a lot of exotic instruments make it very compelling and at times very disturbing which is not surprising considering the subject matter though I can imagine some of the synth elements might put some people off. The few purely orchestral moments complete with choir are heartbreakingly brief but utterly, utterly BRILLIANT!

I've seen this album going cheaply many times and would recommend you pck it up if you see it.

A great film indeed, although I don't really remember the music all that well. Perhaps I need to see the film again or just check out the album.

NP: Lair - Debney

I've been listening to a lot of quieter stuff lately such as Desplat's The Luzhin Defence and Danna's Breach. I decided it was time for full blown balls to the wall orchestral bombast! Playing this one LOUD!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

I agree about the score but I don't about the movie: it's totally brilliant in my book

Well yes, so do I. The only real problem I have with it is the ending, Elly meeting her 'Father'. I dunno, all that build up, I just wanted something else? Was that Sagan's original story? I've not read the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aliens are evil and shoot be shot to hell, preferably with nuclear missiles.
    Can't STAND those "nice angelic" ones. angry

kill alien
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer

Leave No Man Behind... so... gorgeous... am... totally... addicted...!!! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote

Leave No Man Behind... so... gorgeous... am... totally... addicted...!!! biggrin punk

If only the film version of this cue had been in the score cd....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

If only the film version of this cue had been in the score cd....

Yeah! That was amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I agree about the score but I don't about the movie: it's totally brilliant in my book

Well yes, so do I. The only real problem I have with it is the ending, Elly meeting her 'Father'. I dunno, all that build up, I just wanted something else? Was that Sagan's original story? I've not read the book.

A friend of mine said it was extremely disappointing compared to the book. I was going to read the book but never got around to it, so I never found out what that difference was!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE KILLING FIELDS - Mike Oldfield

Great score to a great film. The use of a lot of exotic instruments make it very compelling and at times very disturbing which is not surprising considering the subject matter though I can imagine some of the synth elements might put some people off. The few purely orchestral moments complete with choir are heartbreakingly brief but utterly, utterly BRILLIANT!

I've seen this album going cheaply many times and would recommend you pck it up if you see it.

A great film indeed, although I don't really remember the music all that well. Perhaps I need to see the film again or just check out the album.

NP: Lair - Debney

I've been listening to a lot of quieter stuff lately such as Desplat's The Luzhin Defence and Danna's Breach. I decided it was time for full blown balls to the wall orchestral bombast! Playing this one LOUD!

punk

As I said David, this album is worth it just for the few orchestral/choral tracks alone though some of the rest of the material may not be to everyone's liking? I've seen the album for cheap and brand new in stores plenty of times, even recently.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE UNFORGIVEN... Lennie Niehaus/Clint Eastwood

While the "Claudia's Theme", composed by Eastwood is the main theme there is some tense underscore in this violent western.
    listen to more classical music!
  3. The Clone Wars is NOT SW... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Nightcomers - Jerry Fielding

A delightful score, tuneful but retaining Fielding's trademark complexities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    The Clone Wars is NOT SW... rolleyes

Are you replying to anyone, or did you just randomly feel like saying that? confused biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

While the "Claudia's Theme", composed by Eastwood is the main theme there is some tense underscore in this violent western.

I think it's a superb film score Tom to my all time favourite western, a very brooding and powerful score that works perfectly within context of the film but maybe not so great as a stand alone listen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lonesome Dove Basil Poledouris

I've been addicted to this score since I first listened to it a couple of days ago, and the theme's been stuck in my head ever since! I'd was already quite familiar with the theme from Basil's Honor And Glory promo album, but the rest of the score is a very pleasant surprise. This score has real heart, a soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    The Clone Wars is NOT SW... rolleyes

I wonder if it could be enjoyed separate from the franchise (e.g. like Steven is doing)?

I must confess I don't understand the idea behind this series at all.
    It's by far the least interesting aspect of the whole Star Wars saga? Even though I enjoyed the Clone Wars mini-series, it was more as a step-up to Revenge Of The Sith.
    So what is the main attraction here? It's Star Wars, sure, but basically stripped of...well...Star Wars.
    Will it be another Tour Of Duty In Space like Starship Troopers or Space: Above And Beyond? Seems a bit late in the game for that?

To me the main attraction of Star Wars was never the war aspect, but the mythological epic. The Good Versus Evil drama on a truly Galactic scale. The Fall Of Anakin was what kept the prequels going for me, but I did not enjoy the battle scenes more or less than -say- those in The Longest Day. Sure, they were awe-inspiring to watch, but there was not half as much emotional resonance as when the Rebellion made their last-ditch effort against the Empire in Return Of The Jedi...because there it truly was Good and Evil on the line, rather than political factions!

In that vein, I would have liked a series based on the original trilogy...if only because of the interesting (semi-)paralels with modern day sensibilities: small, armed pockets of fanatics lashing out against the established political order... What great stories to tell!
    Anyway. Just dreaming.

NP: Emperor: Battle For Dune (game score) - David Arkenstone, Frank Klepacki and others
    Rather Space Hulk-ish (though obviously better sounding), with all the expected techno and hard-rocking guitar thunder expected for a game as belligerent as this. Enjoyable, sure, but nothing special.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Couldn't agree more! For me that was a major turn-off about the prequels, Lucas deciding to focus on politics rather than mythology. And mythology makes for much greater drama than politics! (At least if you're going to set it in a world full of aliens, space battles and cool ray guns I hasten to add.)

Seriously though, couldn't care less about this new CGI malarkey. Star Wars will never be like it was during the 70s/80s, and I'm just glad we have those films and scores in the first place. Kiner's new score, for me, is just like any other regular score release which I happen to rather enjoy.
  4. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Actually I liked that ending, as it was to comfort Ellie after her stressful journey to another galaxy... I thought the acting in that part was spot on and I could not have wished for another ending. When I first saw the film, I too thought to see yet another CGI-based alien but it's been done hundreds of time so this time it was something different, an alien camouflaged as a human: I thought that was a good idea, and I still like that scene after 10+ times of viewing.

And it's brilliant in my book, except I don't know the book, I don't read books. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't read books.

/me raises eyebrow
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

Actually, the film is just called UNFORGIVEN. No THE.

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't read books.

/me raises eyebrow

One of my character flaws... don't ask!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue

One of the most beautiful, gorgeous film scores ever written IMO and a Delerue work that jostles with his own Agnes of God for #1 spot in my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    So, are we discussing now what Star Wars is about, or what it should be about? For me, Star Wars was about that Jedi mythology, about friendship, love, the strong belief that there is something good in everyone, and about fantastic action and unbelievably brilliant special effects.

The Prequels included - beside a lot of nonsense - something else: an intelligent plot. Yeah, it may be confusing at times, but it was fascinating to watch how Palpatine created his giant web of intrigue, until all those tiny pieces came together and started to make sense. Political intrigue has always been part of science fiction literature, and it was great to see that used in a Star Wars setting.

Beyond that, there are myriads of story plots. Because Star Wars is a whole universe of stories, a giant galaxy full of possibilities, for adventure, drama, action, suspence, war. As a roleplaying gamemaster, I can see so many possibilities for great stories to tell, each very different and interesting.

Clone Wars will concentrate on one or two possible aspects of that universe, and the live-action series will do the same with others. And I´m quite sure some of those episodes will be entertaining, while others will suck, as it always is with a series. me, I´m willing to dig through the whole thing, ignoring what I don´t like, to see the great stuff unfold. Because even the Prequels had it, if you wanted to see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shadows Of The Empire - Joel McNeely

The soundtrack of the book of the spin-off of the project between the films. smile
    The track Night Skies is absolutely bloody beautiful. I can so picture Luke and Vader on opposites sides of the city, sensing each other.

But really all tracks are good. It's a very coherent story, musically, and an excellent stand-alone listen. Non-Williams stand-outs are The Battle Of Gail (I do so like the little 'meditative' moment within where the pilots realize what they're up against and that many won't be coming back), Xizor's theme (oriental without any of the current clichés, and SO stylishly menacing that it's very Golden Age in feel) and The Seduction Of Princess Leia (the dance is so hypnotic I forgive McNeely the mickey-mousism of Chewbacca knocking on the door at the end. smile ).
  6. Still making it through the sound samples on his site:

http://hokoyama.com/index-3.html#Soundtracks

Strong orcherstrations, influences from Williams, to Goldsmith and more. The music can at times me more symphony like and not film score like.

Definately a breath of fresh air from today's crappy composers.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just HAD to put Night Skies back on repeat. smile
    DAMN, but it's good.

Up next: a personal playlist of the Star Wars saga's best...I probably won't get through it all before the evening's over. smile
    Wa-hey! Starting off with Inner City. An excellent, excellent track.
    "Switch over! And let’s hope we don’t have a burnout!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    NP: LAIR - John Debney

I gave that to a friend of mine a couple of months ago. Finally I got it back and are rediscovering this undescribable treasure of themes right now, blown away again, even more so than when I got it originally. While I couldn´t listen to it, it grew in my memory as a phenomenal score, and after some time I was afraid that my memory would have overblown it in the meantime.

Now that I finally can return to it, it is WAY more spectacular than I remember it. Hell, what an absolutely mindfrakking, awesome, inspiring, driving, passionate score. A battlefield of notes, a never-ending river of themes and melodies, of beauty and fantasy landscape.

It gets me into writing mood again, immediately, something much needed after weeks of writing blockade... Thanks, John...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    So, are we discussing now what Star Wars is about, or what it should be about?

Neither. Me and Martijn were discussing what we prefer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition may be lacking in coherency inasfar as a proper stand-alone listening experience is concerned, but it sure contains some cues that are sorely missed on the original release. Anakin Is Free is really lovely with the most majestic rendition of the Force motif in existence.