• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    Southall wrote
    Fly Me to the Moon - Ramin Djawadi

Pretty standard RC animated score, but it's got a nice heart and is very pleasant.

If Southall can tolerate it, I am sure I will love it smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'm not familiar with Helen Of Troy but I'll look forward to reviews for the rest of the discs Erik.

NP : KRULL - James Horner ( CD 1 )

Big, fresh and seriously kicking ass! This easily goes into my personal top 20 scores ever written, by this I mean as a CD listening experience not as pure film score. As an example, Goldsmith's Planet of The Apes wouldn't make my top 50 but as a score for film it's one of the very best ever written.

NP : KRULL - James Horner ( CD 2 )

The better half of the two discs containing the creepily awesome The Widow's Web and The Widow's Lullaby, creepy, mystical and powerful. The excellent, exhilarating Ride Of The Firemares and the tour-de-force of The Death of The Beast and The Destruction of The Black Fortress, very rarely do fantasy scores get bigger, more melodic, or better than this.

After that epic ride I need something a bit more refined!? But still staying with Horner....

NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

This is a great score and either underrated, not talked about, or just that not many people here have it? Either way I like it a lot and it has early touches of his 'A Beautiful Mind' sound a touch of Vaughan Williams plus trade mark Horner piano crashes cool

Totally agree on both Krull and Sneakers: on the opposite side of the Horner-spectrum but Sneakers has some magical moments, and Krull, well that's just Horner magic from beginning to end. The two widow tracks are mindblowing and the whole climax is insane in its buildup, I read the LSO gave the composer a standing ovation after recording the score, I can only agree with their decision punk punk Krull is his very own 'Empire Strikes Back'.

Boys, you nailed my feelings on these wonderful scores perfectly! beer
    I love them both very much!
    Krull is actually in my top 10 list along with Empire Strikes Back, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Star Trek:The Motion Picture and A big Country to name a few.
    Krull has always been very special to me. Always will be!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Heard Mirrors by Javier Navarrette earlier. At 70 minutes long it really wears thin, though overall it's reasonably listenable. At least it's nearly all orchestral but not many people are going to be reaching for this one over and over again including me. Will stick with Pan's Labyrinth.

Just finished Elmer Bernstein's magnificent The Scarlet Letter.
    It's astonishing how good this is and boggles mind how it ever ended up as a rejected score. It just might actually be a masterpiece, with incredible depth and new material constantly woven through some 80 minutes of music, including some brutal and amazing action music - which begs the question: did Bernstein and John Barry actually score the same film!!!??? confused
    I admit I haven't listened to Barry's score in years but I can't recall a lot that could be construed as action music. Bernstein's 'Battle' is enough alone to leave carnage in its wake! An astonishing score overall.

About to start on Carlo Giacco's December Boys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing: Logan's run (Golldsmith)

I just rewatched the movie. So...

The music for the city is just...ANNOYING. No just it's outdated synth, but also the typical 70's synth. So it not even original....

When the characters goes out of the city, the music is quite good : "the sun", "the monumen", "journey back" or "End of the City"

NP:Jurassic Park (williams).

I didn't change my opinion. I find this score boring and repetitive.

The main theme is overused (and I don't like it very much...) and there's not enough action, too suspense. "jurassic park theme" , "Welcome to jurassic Park" and "End Credits"....Do you want more this theme??? Seriously?

In my opinion "the Lost World" is far, far more interesting and entertaining. Am i the Only one who prefer this sequel????
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jurassic Park's main theme is one of the best and boldest main themes ever written in film music, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jurassic Park's main theme is one of the best and boldest main themes ever written in film music, imo.

I don't say the contrary. I just say I don't like it very much....I'm sure it's one of the greatest themes ever composeds.

Only some themes touches or not. And I prefer "the lost World theme" or even the "journey to the island" motif from Jurassic Park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'm not familiar with Helen Of Troy but I'll look forward to reviews for the rest of the discs Erik.

Big, fresh and seriously kicking ass! This easily goes into my personal top 20 scores ever written, by this I mean as a CD listening experience not as pure film score. As an example, Goldsmith's Planet of The Apes wouldn't make my top 50 but as a score for film it's one of the very best ever written.

The better half of the two discs containing the creepily awesome The Widow's Web and The Widow's Lullaby, creepy, mystical and powerful. The excellent, exhilarating Ride Of The Firemares and the tour-de-force of The Death of The Beast and The Destruction of The Black Fortress, very rarely do fantasy scores get bigger, more melodic, or better than this.

After that epic ride I need something a bit more refined!? But still staying with Horner....

This is a great score and either underrated, not talked about, or just that not many people here have it? Either way I like it a lot and it has early touches of his 'A Beautiful Mind' sound a touch of Vaughan Williams plus trade mark Horner piano crashes cool

Totally agree on both Krull and Sneakers: on the opposite side of the Horner-spectrum but Sneakers has some magical moments, and Krull, well that's just Horner magic from beginning to end. The two widow tracks are mindblowing and the whole climax is insane in its buildup, I read the LSO gave the composer a standing ovation after recording the score, I can only agree with their decision punk punk Krull is his very own 'Empire Strikes Back'.

Krull is actually in my top 10 list along with Empire Strikes Back, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Star Trek:The Motion Picture and A big Country to name a few.

Taste, we has it.

That's a lot of quoting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Goddamn right.

Saccharine? Pfft.
    Arse.
    Talking out of.
  1. I've selected Mr.Beltrami's works as my companions tonight (BTW the time now is 9 PM in Bangkok):

Previously listening to: I, Robot
    Currently listening to: Hellboy
    Will be listening to next: 3:10 To Yuma

All solid pieces of music. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Taste, we has it.

That's a lot of quoting.

Darn tootin' , Let's all slap ourselves on the back--> wave and drink to that beer

Quadruple quoting is cool cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Opened my computer after a week. First listened to my sweetheart The Lion King, and then switched to...

Troy (rejected) - Gabriel Yared

This chant is stuck in my head since weeks!! crazy punk biggrin

Eyeball-deep in studies currently, but will try to visit whenever I get a chance to use the computer! wink beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Opened my computer after a week. First listened to my sweetheart The Lion King, and then switched to...

Eyeball-deep in studies currently, but will try to visit whenever I get a chance to use the computer! wink beer

Yared's Troy is EXCELLENT!

NP : THE MISSION - Ennio Morricone

Bliss! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Hung-over and playing this really loud? What am I thinking!? Still, awesome score!!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008 edited
    JOHN TAVENER - children of men

Deeply emotional and religious listen, awe-inspiring and dreamy string-driven music with brilliant vocal lines which overall gets very experimental at points, further expanded stylistically by the inclusion of pieces like Penderecki's strong "Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima" or Mahler's "Mahler: Nun Will Die Sonn' So Hell Aufgeh'n [Kindertotenlieder]".

I thought the movie was quite odd itself to warrant a specific type of score and if i had to think of another score to put it i'd have difficulties; not because this is the perfect fit for it, but it's a film that doesn't make clear what kind of music it needs. This, despite being a beautiful and very moving listen on CD, made a bizarre marriage with an otherwise strange movie but having been mixed so low in it and fragmented didn't help either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Heard Mirrors by Javier Navarrette earlier. At 70 minutes long it really wears thin, though overall it's reasonably listenable. At least it's nearly all orchestral but not many people are going to be reaching for this one over and over again including me. Will stick with Pan's Labyrinth.

Just finished Elmer Bernstein's magnificent The Scarlet Letter.
    It's astonishing how good this is and boggles mind how it ever ended up as a rejected score. It just might actually be a masterpiece, with incredible depth and new material constantly woven through some 80 minutes of music, including some brutal and amazing action music - which begs the question: did Bernstein and John Barry actually score the same film!!!??? confused
    I admit I haven't listened to Barry's score in years but I can't recall a lot that could be construed as action music. Bernstein's 'Battle' is enough alone to leave carnage in its wake! An astonishing score overall.

About to start on Carlo Giacco's December Boys.

I haven't heard the Bernstein score ( though I sure would like to ) but Barry's score is absolutely fine and fits the film perfectly, that's not saying much though as the film isn't worth going out of your way to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf~Alan Silvestri
    I'm rocking up the hotel but i don't care at all!I love this score!!!And most importantly I found a house!!!I'm moving in tomorrow and it's beautiful!!! bounce
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm rocking up the hotel but i don't care at all!I love this score!!!And most importantly I found a house!!!I'm moving in tomorrow and it's beautiful!!! bounce

WHAHEEEYYYYY!!! punk kiss beer

Keep rockin' the hotel and smooth moving day for tomorrow! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thank you Tim so much for sharing my enthusiasm! kiss
    I have a lot of work to do because I have to move in just 2 days.My parents brought some furniture from Athens and they are bringing them tomorrow.Most of my stuff are in Athens too so I will have to go back and forth for some weekends to bring them here.For at least a week I'll be without curtains and just with light bulbs in the celing but I don't mind.I'll have the house perfectly ready in 2 weeks.I will have to do it during the afternoons though since I'm starting work on Monday.
    The thing is that I won't have an internet connection for about 2 to 3 weeks.This means that I won't be able to be with you for this time...I'll miss you all and I expect you to behave yourselves while I'm away!!!See you all in just a few days!Many kisses!!! kiss

EDIT:
    I'll try to have photos of the house and the beautiful city of Sparta when I get back to you!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't say the contrary. I just say I don't like it very much....I'm sure it's one of the greatest themes ever composeds.

Only some themes touches or not. And I prefer "the lost World theme" or even the "journey to the island" motif from Jurassic Park.

While I agree it probably is one of the best themes ever written, I also agree with Jordi that it's totally overused on the soundtrack. The Lost World is a much better listen on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fuga dal Paradiso - Michel Legrand

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

While I agree it probably is one of the best themes ever written, I also agree with Jordi that it's totally overused on the soundtrack. The Lost World is a much better listen on CD.

Jurassic Park is not one of JW's finest hours when it comes to sequencing albums. I've found that ditching the last cue and moving the end credits so they're actually at the end is a huge help in improving the album. Ditches some repetition, makes the whole thing an awful lot better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Thank you Tim so much for sharing my enthusiasm! kiss
    I have a lot of work to do because I have to move in just 2 days.My parents brought some furniture from Athens and they are bringing them tomorrow.Most of my stuff are in Athens too so I will have to go back and forth for some weekends to bring them here.For at least a week I'll be without curtains and just with light bulbs in the celing but I don't mind.I'll have the house perfectly ready in 2 weeks.I will have to do it during the afternoons though since I'm starting work on Monday.
    The thing is that I won't have an internet connection for about 2 to 3 weeks.This means that I won't be able to be with you for this time...I'll miss you all and I expect you to behave yourselves while I'm away!!!See you all in just a few days!Many kisses!!! kiss

EDIT:
    I'll try to have photos of the house and the beautiful city of Sparta when I get back to you!

Maybe I should play The House Moving from Goldsmith's THE SECRET OF NIMH? wink

Look forward to the pics.....and i'm sure we'll all behave ourselves devil

NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

cool
  2. Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yared's Troy is EXCELLENT!

Here here!!!

It's a crying shame this score was rejected because what director wouldn't want a work like this in their movie? crazy I once had the utmost respect for Wolfgang Petersen but not so much since he made that little goof.

I was just listening to it at about the same time as Demonstar, we rock!

Stavroula wrote

Beowulf is a score I'm growing into currently. Before having seen the movie twice, I found the score unoriginal and boring, how my opinion's changed now! Silvestri is still the man, and after the absolutely gorgeous The Polar Express still one of my fave composers.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the house, with you included of course dizzy biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Jurassic Park is not one of JW's finest hours when it comes to sequencing albums. I've found that ditching the last cue and moving the end credits so they're actually at the end is a huge help in improving the album. Ditches some repetition, makes the whole thing an awful lot better.

Agreed! JP is a terribly produced album. Thank God for iTunes (or any other digital music jukebox that can re-order tracks and blah blah blah) wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: El Cid - Miklos Rozsa
    The City of Prague Philharmonic conducted by Nic Raine

shocked

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF____________________________________CK!

THIS. IS. MINDBLOWING!

Could be the release of the year! Great sound, great performance, great conducting, great package, etc. Everyone should purchase this NOW! But if you want to wait a little bit more I'll be featuring this on my show soon.

GOOD LORD THIS IS FANTASTIC!!! Thank you James Fitzpatrick. Brilliant release!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. What's this shocked shocked shocked Erik praising the Prague Philharmonic, whatever will we have next? The Messiah descending to earth?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    What's this shocked shocked shocked Erik praising the Prague Philharmonic, whatever will we have next? The Messiah descending to earth?

I don't know what they did or what they changed but they knocked this one out of the park. The Tadlow recordings have shown continuing improvement in the Prague Phil's performance and sound but EL CID is their crown jewel. It's easily the best performed and best sounding Prague re- recording out there. It still sounds, at least to my ears, a bit pinched but overall it's a smooth and warm sounding recording. And the orchestra is totally on the ball. According to James Fitzpatrick the Prague Phil absolutely loves playing music of this type so there's some genuine emotion in their performance and you can feel it when listening to this recording.

Now, I will admit that I have NEVER seen the film or heard anything more that an recorded suite from this score with the obvious highlights (Overture/Love Theme/Battle Music/Finale) so this is my first true listen of the entire score and it's now on my greatest scores of all time list. El Cid is a stunning work. Miklos Rozsa again out did himself. Every cue has something interesting to say. It's up there with the Ben-Hur, King of Kings and Ivanhoe. I highly recommend this release to young and old.

I became a film music fan because of scores like this and I want to thank James Fitzpatrick, Tadlow Music and everyone who contributed to making this release possible. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

-Erik-
  4. Southall wrote
    Fuga dal Paradiso - Michel Legrand

I've been intrigued by this one ever since I first saw the CD. Finally bought it from SAE and am listening for the first time. Sounds like an action/adventure film - the score is romantic but rousing - but the CD release is very curious - no credits, no track list, a very vague cover, so I really have no idea what the film may be about!

... any good?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. NP: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain (Yann Tiersen)

I'd forgotten just how good this album is. It couldn't have been Oscar eligible given a heavy portion of it came off Tiersen's two previous non-film music albums, but a bit like There Will Blood, I wish they'd looked the other way. The Amelie waltz is one of those great pop film music themes of recent years, a bit like The Third Man 'Harry Lime' theme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: El Cid - Miklos Rozsa
    The City of Prague Philharmonic conducted by Nic Raine

Everyone should purchase this NOW! But if you want to wait a little bit more I'll be featuring this on my show soon.

Whoah! $40 and 3 1/2 hours of music! shocked
    For once I'll agree with Thor's view on expanded scores. This one is just too much for me.
    I will check it out on SST and Erik's show though.