• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    NP: Masters of the Universe, Complete 2-CD, Bill Conti
    So far I'm a bit disappointed with this much-anticipated release. I didn't know it would turn out to be one of those "Complete Soundtrack" discs followed by an "Original Album Version" disc, like The Fury and The Dark Crystal. As it is, this set probably has very little actual "extra" music to offer compared to my Silva release of the already-expanded score.

Of course, if it means I get to enjoy this powerhouse score twice as long each time I pop in this set, then that can't possibly a bad thing, can it? Even if I'm essentially listening to some of the same music twice. Truly Bill Conti's best work, IMO, followed closely (and stylistically diametrically opposed) by his gorgeous medieval intimate music for A Prayer for the Dying.

Last night I listened to my brand new copy of 3:10 to Yuma. Quite an Oscar nomination-worthy score indeed. Love it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    So far I'm a bit disappointed with this much-anticipated release. I didn't know it would turn out to be one of those "Complete Soundtrack" discs followed by an "Original Album Version" disc, like The Fury

Aaaaah. But unlike the Masters of the Universe release The Fury Deluxe Edition contains two different recordings not just re-edited cues assembled for album presentation. And IMHO, The second disc... the London Symphony re-recording... is one of the rare instances where the re-recording completely obliterates the original recording in presentation, performance and sound.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Martijn wrote

NP: Ace Combat 6: Fires Of Liberty - Keiki Kobayashi
    A pretty good video game score. I don't know the game, nor do I care to, but its score, though overlong, is well-balanced, exciting where needed, overall interesting in sound design... but WHAT do I know that main theme from?!? It's driving me CRAZY! crazy

Ace Combat 6 has the great Liberation Suite to get excited about but not much else IMO, the theme is indeed ACE. Ace Combat 5 on the other hand, now that has some stunning material with some beautiful orchestral pieces and a choral driven one that is darned impressive, I made myself a customised album (around 60 minutes) so I would not have to listen to all the boring tracks of the complete soundtrack. Wanna check out my edition Martijn?

And then there's the fantastic choral track called Megalith - Agnus Dei from Ace Combat 4, building to a glorious crescendo. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Last Samurai~Hans Zimmer
    Pure bliss!!!! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    So far I'm a bit disappointed with this much-anticipated release. I didn't know it would turn out to be one of those "Complete Soundtrack" discs followed by an "Original Album Version" disc, like The Fury

Aaaaah. But unlike the Masters of the Universe release The Fury Deluxe Edition contains two different recordings not just re-edited cues assembled for album presentation. And IMHO, The second disc... the London Symphony re-recording... is one of the rare instances where the re-recording complete obliterates the original recording in presentation, performance and sound.

-Erik-

I'm sure we've agreed on this before Erik but what the heck, it doesn't harm to agree on such brilliance again.

NP : JAWS 2 - John Williams

I was going to play The Fury but this caught my eye first. It's a more enjoyable score than triginal IMO cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Finishing up the Isham/The Express review
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Wlliams

I've gone for the original tracks this time, it's been a long time since I've played those. Nothing beats the re-recording but it's still great to have those formerly unreleased cues.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bug | Brian Tyler

Now this is one great shit-your-pants score. It never really is "scary", but everything in it sounds so alien. There never really is a big moment that makes you jump, it's just there's so much build up you're just waiting for it to happen. cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I would be playing The Fall.... If it was released!

Same goes for an expanded The Lion King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Aaaaah. But unlike the Masters of the Universe release The Fury Deluxe Edition contains two different recordings not just re-edited cues assembled for album presentation. And IMHO, The second disc... the London Symphony re-recording... is one of the rare instances where the re-recording completely obliterates the original recording in presentation, performance and sound.

-Erik-

My comment wasn't knocking The Fury's 2-CD presentation as much as it was knocking MOTU's presentation. As it is I'm wondering if it wouldn't do better to literally sell my brand new LLL release and stick to my original 77-minute SILVA. Especially if I wait until the 3000 copies of the LLL are out of stock.

And as far as a re-recording obliterating the original, here's another one of the finest examples ever: Horner's Brainstorm. Have you heard that in the movie?? Misery!!! Whereas the CD is bliss.

NP: Blazing Saddles, John Morris.
    Fun!!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

-Erik-

My comment wasn't knocking The Fury's 2-CD presentation as much as it was knocking MOTU's presentation.

Oh, I understand that... but your comparison between the two wasn't exactly fair. Also, The Dark Crystal plays much better in it's condensed form then the bloated complete edition... but I'm glad to have both.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Martijn wrote
    It was nice, though Philip Glass' score to Neverwas was way more sophisticated and enjoyable.

(Just trying to blow some people's minds biggrin )

I would like to observe a moment of silence.

For the old Martijn has passed away. He is a new creation! biggrin

Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face.

Oh, we know what great scores are unfortunately The Golden Compass isn't one of them.

-Erik-

And bing! That was the reaction I was after. wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Something the Lord Made - Christopher Young

Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Annapolis (Brian Tyler)

Shame on me for not paying enough atention to this one until now. It has all of Tyler´s trademarks, those I´ve come to love from the cooler composer working today.

Special thanks to HeeroJF for the reminder some days ago wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very, very good indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sure; actually I´m surprised I skipped this one when it came out, probably due to the movie itself (which wasn´t very appealing). Finally my mistake has been corrected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face.

Oh, we know what great scores are unfortunately The Golden Compass isn't one of them.

-Erik-

And now I have to get this hook that's stuck in my cheek out!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote

Shame on me for not paying enough atention to this one until now. It has all of Tyler´s trademarks, those I´ve come to love from the cooler composer working today.

GHAAAAAAAAAA!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! crazy biggrin Innit awesome??

Just finished playing: Bangkok Dangerous, da Tyler man
    It was quite interesting, but I wish he'd sprinkled variations of that Frailty-like theme into this action pieces. As it is, too many of them were just constant percussion banging with no melodic line. What I call the "Graeme Revell effect". Maybe repeated listening will enlighten me further.

One final note on The Fury vs MOTU, it indeed isn't quite fair to compare the two, and I think that was essentially my point. For us to be given a great 2-CD treatment on The Fury and then making us expect a similar deal on MOTU only to be disappointed with something that doesn't compare. Poo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

punk

HeeroJF wrote
    It was quite interesting, but I wish he'd sprinkled variations of that Frailty-like theme into this action pieces. As it is, too many of them were just constant percussion banging with no melodic line. What I call the "Graeme Revell effect". Maybe repeated listening will enlighten me further.

It will. I started to enjoy it after a couple of listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

One final note on The Fury vs MOTU, it indeed isn't quite fair to compare the two, and I think that was essentially my point. For us to be given a great 2-CD treatment on The Fury and then making us expect a similar deal on MOTU only to be disappointed with something that doesn't compare. Poo.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Here is what the new MOTU offers.

First, to those that didn't get a chance to purchase the original Varese release or the expanded treatment on Silva now can albeit another limited edition.

Secondly, there are some film music fans who would rather hear the original albums over the expanded/complete and chronological treatment and visa versa. This new release from La La Land Records satisfies both groups while not over pricing the disc. It surprised even ME to see this 2 CD set with a price point of $19.98 instead of $29.98 which is usually the norm for 2 CD sets.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

punk

HeeroJF wrote

It will. I started to enjoy it after a couple of listens.

Here's the perfect score for me, in fact i might make a playlist out of that and burn a new cd:

1) The kick ass action cues of EAGLE EYE combined with
    2) the slower, melodic urban-sounding part of BANGKOK DANGEROUS
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll play devil's advocate here. Here is what the new MOTU offers.

First, to those that didn't get a chance to purchase the original Varese release or the expanded treatment on Silva now can albeit another limited edition.

Secondly, there are some film music fans who would rather hear the original albums over the expanded/complete and chronological treatment and visa versa. This new release from La La Land Records satisfies both groups while not over pricing the disc. It surprised even ME to see this 2 CD set with a price point of $19.98 instead of $29.98 which is usually the norm for 2 CD sets.

-Erik-

Absolutely. Agree with every word. They're not charging any extra for repeating the same music in a different sequence (unlike another label we could name) so I don't see the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

Ay-ay-ay! I thought I'd give this one a spin because of all the positive comments. When something this limp, generic and tired (not to mention something that tries desperately hard, but fails miserably, to sound like something else) is described as "awesome" it's enough to make me think I've turned into my dad!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

And now I have to get this hook that's stuck in my cheek out!

-Erik-

Juicy fish, so nice and sweet! lick
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    *throws another hooker out and snags Erik on it too*

Come on, you know you want to love The Golden Compass.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  4. If I was Erik, I would love The Golden Compass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Yeah!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. NP: Solaris (Edward Artemyev)

Powerful all-electronic score. Amazing to think it was an early 70s work - Artemyev was doing great things with electronic textures back them.