• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    ^ Like every other Beal score i've ever heard. Definitely not my style.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not mine either. Give me Lennertz´s "Gun" anyday. I know the comparison is totally unfair to Beal, as I assume "Appaloosa" is not a big action western but a more personal view from Ed Harris, but is the first thought that has crossed my mind while listening Beal´s work.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Changed to Fly me to the Moon (Ramin Djawadi)

Now that´s the way to go Ramin! More of these and less "Iron Man" / "Deception" / etc.

Nice to see he is able to compose a colorful, orchestral score if he wants to (or they let do it).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I finally replaced a cheap audio cable that went from my computer to my home stereo today and I'm finally listening to some big, great sounding recordings really, really loud! While I do have pretty darn good computer speakers... the UMPH of my home systems sub woofer is something that computer speakers... even with a solid sub-woofer can't replicate.

I'm currently listening to the John Williamsesque action cue "La Course De Chars" from Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques by Frederic Talgorn.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    A mostly dark brooding and murky score but unlike Barry there's no "hook" to much of it. I even prefer Conti's score over this one ( well, the NON-disco elements ). It's a better Bond score than Serra's but that's not saying much. Perhaps I'dchange my mind if I heard the whole score in the film but for that I'd have to suffer the film again.

p.s. Jf, nothing wrong with The Krays as a film score but I'm presuming you mean as a listen on album?

Exactly, I agree there is no "hook" to it, and that's why you have to be a Kamen fan to enjoy it. Kamen strove on hook-less scores, that is to say scores that don't have much of a thematic element beyond small motives, like Shining Through, Die Hard, Company Business, and The Last Boyscout. Even X-Men wasn't very big on themes. But when you've grown to love Kamen's style, you can learn to sink your teeth even in those. Under that light, Licence to Kill is indeed a pleasure. Much the same way that even an "average, theme-less Goldsmith score" will be a wonder to a true Goldsmith fan.

The Krays... I have to say I can't remember much about that score, which isn't a good sign, but I do own it on that boot with The Last Boyscout. All I know right now is that I apparently originally gave it 1 star out of 10, so that's the sign of a stinker to me. But perhaps I need to revisit it and discover more things I didn't notice after my first few listenings.

And the NON-disco elements of For Your Eyes Only?? The disco parts are the best parts!!! biggrin biggrin (being serious, too)

NP: Babylon 5 - Falling Toward Apotheosis, Christopher Franke
    Just got a batch of 11 B5 scores I was missing. This is the first I'm listening to. As far as B5 music goes this one is pretty good with plenty of action.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have to say as much as I enjoy both Babylon 5 compilation CDs (and they really are excellent! Solid 5 star efforts in my opinion), the individual scores are a LOT harder to get into: too much ambience and mood music. And for that price, WAY too short in length (although obviously MORE soundscaping wouldn't yield added any value for me dizzy ).
    I do like some of the main themes having added narration, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    The compilations are probably a LOT more fun than the individual scores, but as always with my obsession with complete releases, I have to go with the integral stuff whenever possible. And with patience those episodic discs do pay off. ESPECIALLY A Late Delivery from Avalon. And as for price: I wait until a good opportunity comes to get them cheap. What I do hate is how much space they take on my shelves!!!! Considering that several pairs and trios of those scores could fit on the same disc.

NP: Naked Lunch, Howard Shore
    Finally got my hands on one of the last Shore CDs I was missing. I see right from track 1 that it apparently has the typical Silence of the Lambs and Se7en sound to it, with the added layer of freaky jazz... Interesting mix.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    ESPECIALLY A Late Delivery from Avalon.

Pretty much the best of the bunch, I agree.

NP: Eagle Eye - Brian Tyler
    What's everyone so worked up about? It's nothing we haven't heard dozens of times before, without any added benefit.
    It's not bad.
    It's quite energetic.
    I've already forgotten every single cue about 2 nanoseconds after if finished.

Would it kill him to write a theme to go with those nice percussive elements he employs so well?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    I continue to blow my brains out this afternoon with more and more MASSIVE and BRILLIANT sounding film music played really, really LOUD!

My little playlist before I go to pick up the wife and kids includes...

Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques mentioned above. John Williams didn't write anything near as exciting as "La Course De Chars" in Crystal Skull.

"Entr'acte: The El Cid March" from El Cid by Miklos Rozsa. This has become one of my all time favorite scores and this piece in particular has become one of my all time favorites. I didn't realize how bassy this new recording is... but the City of Prague recordings are notorious for really being really thumpy.

"Blake Gets The Point" from Ricochet by Alan Silvestri. You really want to test your sound system play this score. An early effort from Silvestru and an underrated one at that. A raw, rhythmic action suspense score which is worth checking out!

"Breaking The Sound Barrier/Almost Ready" from The Right Stuff by Bill Conti. He ripped off so many different classic pieces in this score it makes you wonder just how he won the BEST ORIGINAL SCORE Oscar in 1983. Besides all the blatant rip offs, Conti's re-recording with the London Symphony Orchestra is a sonic delight. One of the very best sounding soundtrack albums I own.

"The Rocketeer Suite" by James Horner. This is a home made suite that I absolutely adore and find myself playing more often than the score album itself. It's a lovely 8 and half minute suite containing the main theme, a few juice action highlights and a segue into "The Flying Circle" that has me patting myself on the back. An edit that took days to complete but came out brilliantly and I would love to here this presentation in concert!

"The Mummy Returns Suite" by Alan Silvestri. Containing mostly music from the "Evy Kidnapped" sequence and the unreleased finale music that segues into my favorite piece of film music of all time - End Credits (Film Version)!

Boy oh boy have I missed you home stereo system!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Oh I was playing that yesterday Timmer, I just love it.

Now Playing Life As A House by Mark Isham

Which score was that?

Oops. Forgot to hit the quote button. lol

Playing By Heart by John Barry.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Hook - John Williams

My gosh, Remembering Childhood is AMAZING! shocked punk

You're wrong: every single track is AMAZING!!!! Well some more than others... cheesy
    This one needs the complete treatment.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

"The Mummy Returns Suite" by Alan Silvestri. Containing mostly music from the "Evy Kidnapped" sequence and the unreleased finale music that segues into my favorite piece of film music of all time - End Credits (Film Version)!

Really? shocked

Well, it is pretty damn good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Really? shocked

Well, it is pretty damn good.

Ya... I'd have to say so. I listen to it more than any other cue I own so I must really like it A lot!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    The Matrix - Don Davis

My Varese Club CDs arrived today and I've listened to this one twice already. Truly one of the finest expanded albums I've heard. Every note is to be cherished. There's not much better film music than this in modern times - so well-structured, planned, executed. Magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    What's everyone so worked up about? It's nothing we haven't heard dozens of times before, without any added benefit.
    It's not bad.
    It's quite energetic.

Would it kill him to write a theme to go with those nice percussive elements he employs so well?

AVPR has a theme... It may be subtle and not very complex, but actually we were just discussing that same tendency regarding Michael Kamen. The motif-based method of writing. To concentrate on colour palette of the non- and semi-thematic material rather than put the emphasis on a fully-developed long-lined theme à la John Williams or Ennio Morricone. IMO, Brian Tyler seems to be getting quite good at this Kamen-style way of writing action. And Partition proves that he can develop a gorgeous fully-developed theme when the situation calls for it.

Again, I believe Annapolis is the best merging of his thematic and semi-thematic sides.

That said, I'm very eager to listen to Eagle Eye for myself so I can make my own opinion. Will be getting it in next month's order.

NP: The Water Horse - Legend of the Deep, James Newton Howard
    Appears fluffy at first but I'm sure will grow on me. The celtic flavour is quite nice. I'm also eying greedily that 4-minute track toward the end called "The Net" and am expecting a delicious action climax!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Matrix - Don Davis

My Varese Club CDs arrived today and I've listened to this one twice already. Truly one of the finest expanded albums I've heard. Every note is to be cherished. There's not much better film music than this in modern times - so well-structured, planned, executed. Magnificent.

What he said!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: The Water Horse - Legend of the Deep, James Newton Howard
    Appears fluffy at first but I'm sure will grow on me. The celtic flavour is quite nice. I'm also eying greedily that 4-minute track toward the end called "The Net" and am expecting a delicious action climax!

I was right! Yeee-haw! Awesome action track in the truest JNH fashion!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    Masters and Commanders: Music from Seafaring Films Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops

First listen and off to an awesome start, let's hope the rest of the album is as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    How is the sound quality? I read reviews that there are problems with the balance and bass.
    And 4-5 tracks of Pirates... vomit no no
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Oh I was playing that yesterday Timmer, I just love it.

Now Playing Life As A House by Mark Isham

Which score was that?

Oops. Forgot to hit the quote button. lol

Playing By Heart by John Barry.

Ahhhhh!!!

Exquisite taste sir cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    ESPECIALLY A Late Delivery from Avalon.

Pretty much the best of the bunch, I agree.

It's not bad.
    It's quite energetic.

I'm seriously going off Tyler. Great purcussive elements for sure, in fact they were the only saving grace in his RAMBO score, other than that I'll get the Goldsmith albums out and treat myself to some REAL magic.

I think it's the earache of AVP:R has really put me off, a rare case of a first listen impressing me but a 2nd, 3rd and 4th making me scream ENOOOOUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face. Very compelling, to my ears at least. I can't say the decision to not pursue a film trilogy based on Pullman's novels bothered me that much, but it is a shame we won't hear what Desplat would have done with continuing story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Apollo 13 - James Horner

Fuckin' fantastic. The 'All Systems Go'/The Launch and Re-Entry & Splashdown cues are among his absolute best. Brilliant stuff.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Boys From Brazil - Jerry Goldsmith

This release from Intrada is just brilliant!
    What a score!
    This is Goldsmith in full form!
    If you love Goldsmith's Capricorn One and the like from this era you'll love this score!

cool cool cool cool cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    A morning with Rambo:

I played : Rambo (Tyler)

This mix of tyler usual orchestrations and beyond Rengoon is unmemorable but quite entertaining.
    At least it has a main theme you can remember and the action stuff is not so over the top, so it pass much better than other of his scores.

Rules of engagement beer

Goldsmith themes, thought, is used very badly.

NP:First Blood (Goldsmith)

One of my favourite Goldsmith themes (specially heard in the last track, with this action statement), but leaving this aside, I never have enjoyed this scores.

I consider Rambo and rambo III some of my favourite Goldsmith scores, but First Blood it's too challenging to my ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face.

Oh, we know what great scores are unfortunately The Golden Compass isn't one of them.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face.

Oh, we know what great scores are unfortunately The Golden Compass isn't one of them.

-Erik-

I like it. But two people who's opinions I greatly respect are polar opposite, so I'm not sure whether it's a great score or not!? dizzy wink

Aliens James Horner

I have a rotten bloody cold, and for some reason this is the perfect score to put on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

Every time I hear this, I can't help but wonder whether people would appreciate a great score if it came and slapped them in the face. Very compelling, to my ears at least. I can't say the decision to not pursue a film trilogy based on Pullman's novels bothered me that much, but it is a shame we won't hear what Desplat would have done with continuing story.

I like the score, I think it has a refreshing approach that doesn't go down the tired old generic route of most fantasy scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It was nice, though Philip Glass' score to Neverwas was way more sophisticated and enjoyable.

(Just trying to blow some people's minds biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It was nice, though Philip Glass' score to Neverwas was way more sophisticated and enjoyable.

(Just trying to blow some people's minds biggrin )

explode