• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Memoirs of a Geisha.

It's my choose why I have to travel to Asia. Why? The last Samurai or Snow Falling On cedars are not enought asian, The Challenge is not good and scores like Tiger Dragon are from asian composers so I can think " wow! this is from one of my favourite composers! ".....
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    Whenever i want to "journey" trough Asia i play The Last Emperor.
    I've never get tired of that main theme. It's a noble but at the same time sad theme. Love it.
    The rest of the score have lot's of oriental tracks, like Memoirs of a Geisha.
    If you like Geisha then you will certainly enjoy the Last Emperor.
    Try it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thanks for the recomendation. I like The Last Emperor, well Only the Sakamoto music.

It's not so asian like geisha. But it's great.

(Specially for Zimmer's name in the booklet ehehe)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Asia; let's see.....hmmmmm......

TAN DUN
    | Hero, Ye Yan (The Banquet), Hero
    SHIGERU UMEBAYASHI | Curse of the golden flower, Daisy, 2046, In the mood for love
    JOE HISAISHI | Howl's moving castle, spirited away and virtually everything he has ever composed!

Ultimately and definitely
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I think Painted Veil or Lust, Caution would be soundtracks I would take on my trip to Asia, along with Morricone's Marco Polo. (Beautiful score, the latter.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think Painted Veil or Lust, Caution would be soundtracks I would take on my trip to Asia, along with Morricone's Marco Polo. (Beautiful score, the latter.)

Marco Polo cool

Having been to a few Asian countries I would say the feel of the country dictates the music rather than the other way around. Some of the music I think of from places like India and Thailand aren't from any kind of Asian influenced film music.

The country will speak to you, don't force it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think Painted Veil or Lust, Caution would be soundtracks I would take on my trip to Asia, along with Morricone's Marco Polo. (Beautiful score, the latter.)

Totally, completely agree here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

What would you take on a trip to England?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Ahhhh...........nothing less or nothing more than all JOHN BARRY mate. nothing!

Oh and tea;

and some fresher jokes perhaps tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ahhhh...........nothing less or nothing more than all JOHN BARRY mate. nothing!

Oh and tea;

and some fresher jokes perhaps tongue

Your taste is most exquisite old bean! cool

p.s. no need to bring tea....we have plenty wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Your taste is most exquisite old bean! cool

Why thank you kind Sir! As far as this is concerned specifically though, you have a big part in it as well and i can't thank you enough for it! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    The Challenge not good???!!!

If you go to Hong Kong, and see the sky line for the first time, Rush Hour 2 opening titles / or Enter the Dragon will do fine, and if you want to give it a romantic twist, Maurice Jarre's Tai Pan end title cue is a nice fit. (I was such an idiot, I had this rare and sometimes pretty score on cd, but sold it for 30 bucks, 10 years ago...!!! argh!)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Timmer wrote

Depends...

For the arrival (by ferry) I would choose Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves´ main title/homecomg scene. Ridiculous as the scene itself is, it certainly captures the mood that always flushes within me when I set foot on the english coast and look up at those rocks.

I would certainly play tracks 2 & 3 from The World is not enough while driving through London.

For a visit of the British Museum I would always play the Ark Theme from Raiders. If you´ve never been to this place, you should.

For a look at Buckingham, everything from Doyle should be just fine.

The rolling hillsides can´t be better captured: The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.

Since this is very hard to come by, I suggest playing Danny Elfman´s Black Beauty.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote

Depends...

For the arrival (by ferry) I would choose Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves´ main title/homecomg scene. Ridiculous as the scene itself is, it certainly captures the mood that always flushes within me when I set foot on the english coast and look up at those rocks.

I would certainly play tracks 2 & 3 from The World is not enough while driving through London.

For a visit of the British Museum I would always play the Ark Theme from Raiders. If you´ve never been to this place, you should.

For a look at Buckingham, everything from Doyle should be just fine.

The rolling hillsides can´t be better captured: The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.

Since this is very hard to come by, I suggest playing Danny Elfman´s Black Beauty.

Ralph, while driving through London you'd be far better off driving to something 'stately', John Barry's The Beyondness Of Things would be far more apt while you struggle to "drive through" at approximately 10 MPH wink The Arnold tracks wouldn't last much longer than being stuck at a set of traffic lights, all that adrenaline doing nothing would drive you > crazy cheesy

As for countryside, well, if you ain't playing Vaughan Williams then you ain't here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Ralph, while driving through London you'd be far better off driving to something 'stately', John Barry's The Beyondness Of Things would be far more apt while you struggle to "drive through" at approximately 10 MPH wink The Arnold tracks wouldn't last much longer than being stuck at a set of traffic lights, all that adrenaline doing nothing would drive you > crazy cheesy

What I wrote was based on an experience I had nearly two decades ago when I was there with friends of mine, my friends´wife brought her own car, and she drives like crazy. Combine driving on the wrong side tongue with maneuvers that would frighten even Lee Majors, all that was missing was the Bond Theme, but we were humming it anyway. biggrin But I know we were "lucky" to get through so well...

As for countryside, well, if you ain't playing Vaughan Williams then you ain't here!

I´ll keep that in mind. Any specific suggestions, since I don´t know anything from this guy, I think.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

What I wrote was based on an experience I had nearly two decades ago when I was there with friends of mine, my friends´wife brought her own car, and she drives like crazy. Combine driving on the wrong side tongue with maneuvers that would frighten even Lee Majors, all that was missing was the Bond Theme, but we were humming it anyway. biggrin But I know we were "lucky" to get through so well...

I´ll keep that in mind. Any specific suggestions, since I don´t know anything from this guy, I think.

As a MASSIVE fan of RVW I'd say get EVERYTHING! ( almost ).

But a few pointers....

The Lark Ascending - a sublime work for violin, most great violinists have done a version but I'd really recommend Nigel Kennedy's version.

Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis - Beyond sublime.

Symphony # 3 'Pastoral' - One of the great anti-war symphonies. On the surface it seems like rolling hills and green pastures but there's a dark under-current, the 2nd Movement is one of the greatest ( IMO THE greatest ) 'Last Post' music ever written, the poignancy of the slightly off-key trumpet moves me to tears every time.

Symphony # 5 - Romantic and gorgeous, an all time favourite of mine.

Greensleeves - Supposedly ( possibly? ) written by King Henry VIII ( in between chopping his wives heads off presumably? wink ) but made truly famous by RVW's glorious orchestral arrangement.

If you listen to that lot don't be surprised if you start hearing RVW in John Williams, James Horner and James Newton Howard because he's been a large influence on some of they're works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    The Lark Ascending - a sublime work for violin, most great violinists have done a version but I'd really recommend Nigel Kennedy's version.

That piece rings a bell; I remember Hilary Hahn recording that, but I didn´t listen to it.

Rang an even louder bell, and I went looking. And, of course, it was that amazing track from Master & Commander. God, how I loved that piece in that movie...

Based on that one track alone, I´d already tend to agree, but, of course, Greensleeves was the finishing move. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote

That piece rings a bell; I remember Hilary Hahn recording that, but I didn´t listen to it.

Rang an even louder bell, and I went looking. And, of course, it was that amazing track from Master & Commander. God, how I loved that piece in that movie...

Based on that one track alone, I´d already tend to agree, but, of course, Greensleeves was the finishing move. biggrin

Make sure it's the full version of Tallis Fantasia. It's only an excert on Master & Commander smile
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

The complete score to CAMELOT.

And perhaps some U2.

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Timmer wrote
    Make sure it's the full version of Tallis Fantasia. It's only an excert on Master & Commander smile

Thanks for pointing this out and directing me to this genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    Glad to see one of my Old score reviews posts back to life! kiss wave thanks!

3 scores, for 3 kind of Fantasy.

If I have to go to an Ancient age, apocalyptic, Dark and Magic : Lair

If I have to go to a land of fantasy and innocence : Secret of NIMH

If I have to go in a place of magic and medieval : Prisoner of Azkaban.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thanks for pointing this out and directing me to this genius.

You're welcome Ralph smile cool