• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008 edited
    Oh for God's sake, both of you. Stop clogging up the board. I don't give a rats ass anymore who has the better music taste, who prefers C&C albums and who prefers well produced ones. And now you're not even discussing that! The constant nagging between the two of you is annoying the hell out of me. CHILL. crazy > cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    My favourite part of the entire EL CID score is when Charlton bows before the cross before a duel or something (can't remember...it's been a long time since I saw the film). There's an almost lithurgical theme playing underneath that...just for a brief moment...that encapsulates the religious sound I love so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know the bit you mean, and I couldn't agree more.
    No one better than Rozsa to incorporate that sense of power and devotion: he does it in Ben Hur, King Of Kings, El Cid... and I never grow weary of it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I know the bit you mean, and I couldn't agree more.
    No one better than Rozsa to incorporate that sense of power and devotion: he does it in Ben Hur, King Of Kings, El Cid... and I never grow weary of it.

Yeah, you'll find the same thing in the opening Bethlehem track of BEN HUR (this one often gets STUCK in my mind!) or, obviously, the glorious "Prayer of the Lord" in KING OF KINGS.

Rozsa is a bit on/off for me, but when he's on like this, he's really ON!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Anthony wrote
    Oh for God's sake, both of you. Stop clogging up the board. I don't give a rats ass anymore who has the better music taste, who prefers C&C albums and who prefers well produced ones. And now you're not even discussing that! The constant nagging between the two of you is annoying the hell out of me. CHILL. crazy > cool

Mightily agreed. It's embarrassing to watch.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    Ralph! Thanks for the good laugh! You are grasping at straws my boy... grasping at straws. I'll leave it at that.

Again, EVERYONE, I'm not the one that starts this. Ralph has become my first true nemesis and I find it all rather amusing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. My copy of El Cid arrived today - but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

I made the mistake of trying to view the videos on CD3 but I can't seem to view them. Can anyone help? There's a "windows-users.exe" file that seems to be an Adobe Projector application, and there's what I think are the 5 videos. They are all flash video files (*.flv) - but I don't seem to know how to view them.

Anyone help?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Holy Crap I forgot about that, geesh, just watched Battlepreparations WOW!! I just put the disc in , closed the player , went to my computer, and clicked on the drive icon with the disc , came right up. I just clicked on the adobe projector icon.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My copy of El Cid arrived today - but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

I made the mistake of trying to view the videos on CD3 but I can't seem to view them. Can anyone help? There's a "windows-users.exe" file that seems to be an Adobe Projector application, and there's what I think are the 5 videos. They are all flash video files (*.flv) - but I don't seem to know how to view them.

Anyone help?

VLC player can play flv files. It's an awesome media player BTW smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    VLC is a good idea!
    Or just drag the .flv file into your browser.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    VLC is one of the best players out there, it will even play raw HD videos in m2t format!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here's the issue. Not so much Thor's INSANE preferences but that he is willing to spend his hard earned money on a weaker release of El Cid instead of the definitive one released by Tadlow.

It's interesting that you use the word 'insane'. I can't understand why someone likes anchovies(sp.?) on their pizza, for example, but I wouldn't call their preferences INSANE because of it.

Let Thor decide for himself. Even though he will be missing out great and superior stuff. Its still up to him, we don't need to convince him to do otherwise. I share the mutual frustration of the other score enthousiasts here for his particular preference. But its still his personal choice. Hey Thor, I still have the Chapter III, conducted by Rozsa himself, its a nice tidy arrangement and its for sale, any interest?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would GREATLY, INSANELY and BEYOND ANY SHADOW OFA DOUBT recommend this one over the Sedares recording. If you can get it, Thor, THIS is THE ONE (yeah, I know you had it before, but honestly it's MILES over the Sedares one, and it's the one I revisit time and again)!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Thor wrote
    Thanks for the offer, Martijn (I assume you mean the Tadlow, not the Sedares)!

I really like EL CID, too. My EL CID history is this:

After enjoying the theme on the EPIC FILM MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA set from Silva in the late 90's, I got the Sony/blue cover release in a trade, Rozsa conducting. Great album arrangement, subpar sound quality and somewhat shoddy performance. So I finally sold it in 2007, aiming to REPLACE it with the Sedares (of which I had heard clips). Then the Tadlow thing happened, and I was confused for a moment. What should I get? When the Tadlow was released and I realized how C&C it was, the choice was easy, despite its superior performance and production values. Album arrangement trumphs other concerns. Get the Sedares.

Aha, Thor (and now I am going to contradict myself here compared with my previous post, regarding personal preferences and such)... you mentioned that, unless preformance was really shitty, like Battle Beyond the Stars (LOVE the score btw), you will not go for C&C. Well, the Sedares has one REAL shitty part, I just want to let you know that the organ at the end really really sux big time. It will totally nullify any album arrangement preferences you may have. It is for me, and I guess for most others, THE climax of the score. What do we get from Sedares, a staccato played organ, it doesn't flow like the original and its most likely played on a keyboard. Well, if that is not shitty played and don't know what is. For that reason alone (REAL shitty performance), you might try the C&C tadlow re-recording.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talos wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thanks for the offer, Martijn (I assume you mean the Tadlow, not the Sedares)!

I really like EL CID, too. My EL CID history is this:

After enjoying the theme on the EPIC FILM MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA set from Silva in the late 90's, I got the Sony/blue cover release in a trade, Rozsa conducting. Great album arrangement, subpar sound quality and somewhat shoddy performance. So I finally sold it in 2007, aiming to REPLACE it with the Sedares (of which I had heard clips). Then the Tadlow thing happened, and I was confused for a moment. What should I get? When the Tadlow was released and I realized how C&C it was, the choice was easy, despite its superior performance and production values. Album arrangement trumphs other concerns. Get the Sedares.

Aha, Thor (and now I am going to contradict myself here compared with my previous post, regarding personal preferences and such)... you mentioned that, unless preformance was really shitty, like Battle Beyond the Stars (LOVE the score btw), you will not go for C&C. Well, the Sedares has one REAL shitty part, I just want to let you know that the organ at the end really really sux big time. It will totally nullify any album arrangement preferences you may have. It is for me, and I guess for most others, THE climax of the score. What do we get from Sedares, a staccato played organ, it doesn't flow like the original and its most likely played on a keyboard. Well, if that is not shitty played and don't know what is. For that reason alone (REAL shitty performance), you might try the C&C tadlow re-recording.

I'm afraid you might as well piss in the wind! Time to drop it people because the Thor is not for changing.

I totally agree with you on that Organ Talos, it does indeed suck big time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Talos wrote
    Let Thor decide for himself. Even though he will be missing out great and superior stuff. Its still up to him, we don't need to convince him to do otherwise. I share the mutual frustration of the other score enthousiasts here for his particular preference. But its still his personal choice. Hey Thor, I still have the Chapter III, conducted by Rozsa himself, its a nice tidy arrangement and its for sale, any interest?

Thanks, but I already had this version when it was out on Sony (the blue cover with EL CID in gold font). Arrangement was great, but performance and sound quality somewhat shoddy. I sold it about a year ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    Well, I just gave in and got this one. It arrived today. Haven't listened to it yet but it looks like a lavish set!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008
    I adore this score! Such a stunning piece of work!
    It grows with each listen. Pure class from start to finish.
    This Tadlow release is 100% perfect!
    I hope and pray they may do the same someday with Ben-Hur!
  3. I am currently listening to Silva's magnificent recording of El Cid and, man, is that one a great release!

Along the way it was fun to read this 6 year old thread/t even though it's more about Erik and Thor than about the outstanding Silva recording of Rosza's El Cid.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014 edited
    He, he....yeah, good times. I need my dose of C&C panning to keep sane (or 'insane', as Erik would say). wink

6 years later, however, and I still haven't rebought EL CID in any form. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014
    Thor wrote
    6 years later, however, and I still haven't rebought EL CID in any form. slant

You're fucking nuts!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2014
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt