• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Review of Yor, The Hunter from the Future
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. It's John Scott week at MainTitles,

Expect 2 reviews each day of this amazing composer. And then it's pretty fitting we have to start with his crowning achievement of his career.

- Antony and Cleopatra
    - King Kong 2

Enjoy
  3. Luckily for us, Cheston knew whom to hire for the music. Just 7 years after his entrance in the movie business, veteran composer John Scott

Apparently not, being the second composer on the film. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. 2 new reviews:

- King of the Wind
    - Shoot to Kill
  5. I have not heard anything by this guy, but I suspect that will soon change. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    Shoot to Kill is a fantastic score! You really need to check that one out. And while you're at it try Greystoke also.

Thomas great review on Shoot to Kill, but in my books it gets a full 4 stars.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    I have not heard anything by this guy, but I suspect that will soon change. cheesy

you bet ya, this weekend wink
  7. timme wrote
    Shoot to Kill is a fantastic score! You really need to check that one out. And while you're at it try Greystoke also.

Thomas great review on Shoot to Kill, but in my books it gets a full 4 stars.

Thanks Tim. Considering the rest I heard of him, Shoot to Kill is a good score, but the rest is better smile
    What impresses me the most is that this guy wrote one theme, used it endlessly and it never sounded the same, plus I never got tired of it
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    I have not heard anything by this guy, but I suspect that will soon change. cheesy

Do so. I remember listening to cues from various films he did, which were tacted on to the "King Kong Lives" (boot) and thinking something along the lines:

This stuff is fantastic -- at his height during the '80's, and with the sound he displayed, he could have scored a film like Star Wars, or at least some knock off like "Battle Beyond the Stars".

IN FACT, to help sell you, here are those cues and in the order presented:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MLQ1dAlO8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQscUmGZqI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoSK85NsCE4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSN7MBc4tOQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m2NzNuC_9o

Let us know what you think.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. no worries Justin, I'm giving him my own special made compilation this weekend, 78 minutes of pure John Scott magic. He'll discover him soon enough wink
  10. And we continue the update with the 2 following:

- The Scarlet Tunic
    - Shogun Mayeda
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    I know it's been mentioned before, but I really like your "excellent track" addition.
    Even with scores I don't necessarily enjoy (like Shogun Mayeda), it's well worth the read to see if such tracks are "worthy" of adding into playlists or home-made compilations.

Oh, and I really like you're on John Scott!
    One of my favourite composers I play far too little of!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Martijn wrote
    I know it's been mentioned before, but I really like your "excellent track" addition.
    Even with scores I don't necessarily enjoy (like Shogun Mayeda), it's well worth the read to see if such tracks are "worthy" of adding into playlists or home-made compilations.

Oh, and I really like you're on John Scott!
    One of my favourite composers I play far too little of!

thanks, I always felt it was a vital addition to reviews, if solely to see whether a score is good without having to read various paragraphs. Plus, I make my home made compilations all the time, so it was a natural reflex at the time

Shogun Mayeda is quite a strange experience indeed. Half of the music has captured me on a technical level, but it's not totally my cup of tea enjoying it. At the other hand, you've got the 2 themes and once they are given time, you get stellar music.

And I should have listened to his music a lot sooner shame
    Anyway, bought 2 scores of him I didn't hear yet, so hoping for more John Scott magic cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have any John Scott on CD shame ( well, except some CDR's )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Timmer wrote
    I don't have any John Scott on CD shame ( well, except some CDR's )

I can always send you my own special John Scott compilation wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That sounds good?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. 1) overture (selfmade version) (Antony & Cleopatra (8.42)
    2) end credits (Lionheart) (4.13)
    3) main titles (The Final Countdown) (3.54)
    4) end credits (selfmade version) (Man on Fire) (6.39)
    5) end credits (The Scarlet Tunic) (2.34)
    6) mysterious island & the overlord march (Yor, Hunter from the Future) (3.39)
    7) suite (selfmade version) (King Kong 2) (10.09)
    8) overture (selfmade version) (Shogun Mayeda) (8.34)
    9) islands of beauty (Cousteau Channel Islands) (3.42)
    10) The Mountains & Main theme (selfmade version) (Shoot to Kill) (7.36)
    11) Race & End Credits (selfmade version) (King of the Wind) (7.52)
    12) harmony from the jungle (Jungle Book 2) (4.06)
    13) main theme (selfmade version) (William the Conquerer) (7.15)

What do you think? wink I give it 5 stars
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    1) overture (selfmade version) (Antony & Cleopatra (8.42)
    2) end credits (Lionheart) (4.13)
    3) main titles (The Final Countdown) (3.54)
    4) end credits (selfmade version) (Man on Fire) (6.39)
    5) end credits (The Scarlet Tunic) (2.34)
    6) mysterious island & the overlord march (Yor, Hunter from the Future) (3.39)
    7) suite (selfmade version) (King Kong 2) (10.09)
    8) overture (selfmade version) (Shogun Mayeda) (8.34)
    9) islands of beauty (Cousteau Channel Islands) (3.42)
    10) The Mountains & Main theme (selfmade version) (Shoot to Kill) (7.36)
    11) Race & End Credits (selfmade version) (King of the Wind) (7.52)
    12) harmony from the jungle (Jungle Book 2) (4.06)
    13) main theme (selfmade version) (William the Conquerer) (7.15)

What do you think? wink I give it 5 stars

Looks great, I know a few of those too, I could even tell you a boring story about The Final Countdown but I won't wink

Yeah, looks very good. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, that sounds brilliant, Thomas. Who would I have to kill to get a copy of that?

I've had some John Scott in my collection over the years, but don't have much left.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. for those who are interested, I can send you the upload link (Thor has already received it)
  15. The final 2 reviews (for now)

- The Second Jungle Book
    - William the Conqueror
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012 edited
    Coming from Silva Screen

THE WICKER TREE
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    I'm very tempted to go for this....but I have absolutely no idea of either film or score.... anyone ever seen/heard it?
  16. never heard of it too, but I'm definitely intruiged!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm very tempted to go for this....but I have absolutely no idea of either film or score.... anyone ever seen/heard it?

I read some recent reviews, none of which were good. Christopher Lee returns as Lord Summerisle and the suggestion is he should have stayed far away from this film.

I'd like to hear the music.
  17. Check out the samples for "The Wicker Tree" -- old school orchestral work -- I wouldn't onfuse this with a horror film. I'm not as familiar with others on his work, but I'd say this is like his '80's output.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … R-TREE-2CD
  18. this is a great score and ditto release

KING KONG LIVES

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 214
    Date: 1986
    Tracks: 17
    Time = 47:13

Much belated U.S. premiere on CD of dynamic, thrilling John Scott score for John Guillerman film about the big ape's new love... and his rampage when things don't go well. Scott creates rich overall theme for Kong and his lady and powerful edgier theme for arch enemy Col. Nemit. Both play throughout score in dramatic manner. Highlights are many but "Lady Kong Gets Gassed" merits spotlight. Scott also does courtesy of ending what he starts with stirring, fortissimo coda in major key. Powerful! Scott produced album in 1987, representing every major sequence of his score for terrific a record. CD did happen in Japan but only with intrusive ape roars. Happily, UMG vault masters of original U.S. album were available in perfect condition... without the grunts. Flipper cover offers two slightly different takes on original album cover art. John Scott conducts Graunke Symphony Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

01. Prelude 1:44
    02. King Kong Lives - Main Title 2:31
    03. Discovery Of Lady Kong 1:21
    04. Back To Life 2:10
    05. Kong Meets Lady Kong 4:00
    06. Honeymoon Ridge 0:18
    07. Footbridge Incident 0:30
    08. Night Camp 2:46
    09. Lady Kong Gets Gassed 4:13
    10. Leap Into The Rapids 2:31
    11. Alligator Swamp 2:18
    12. Chaos In A Small Town 2:29
    13. Revenge On The Hunters 3:28
    14. Kong Rescues His Lady 2:33
    15. Kong's Final Battle 1:11
    16. Birth Of Baby Kong And Death Of Kong 5:47
    17. Return To Borneo And End Credits 4:25
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    Hi,

Someone has listened his scores of "Walking thunder", "The north star" and "The new swiss Family Robinson"? I would like to know which score is your favourite of these scores

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    kilar30 wrote
    Hi,

Someone has listened his scores of "Walking thunder", "The north star" and "The new swiss Family Robinson"? I would like to know which score is your favourite of these scores

Thanks

Hi, kilar30.

"The North Star" is on my Top 10 of John Scott soundtracks, so of the 3 you cite that's the one I like best (for whatever that's worth to you smile )