• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008 edited
    I selected a bunch of clips from my playlist that I enjoy. Like the other games, it's worth 2 points per clip (name the film or TV show and composer). The bonus clip is worth 4 points. The game is worth a maximum of 40 points.

I tried to arrange the films chronologically. I bet some of these clips have been used before, but that should make it easier for you, right?

Please send your guesses to me by PM. Last chance to send answers in will be Thursday evening, Sept. 18 (U.S. time).

Let me know if you have any trouble opening the file or listening to the clips since it's my first time setting this up.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlER … MlhIRGc9PQ

Updated Hints

1. It's providential that this high seas adventure was penned by one of the greats. This Golden Age composer was nominated for 12 Academy Awards and won 2.

2. Based on a semi-autobiographical tale, this film is about love and medicine in Italy. The Italian composer scored films ranging from prehistoric adventures to Roman epics.

3. A very famous French New Wave director chronicles a deteriorating marital relationship. The film's French actress is also known for her animal rights activism.

4. A scene from this WWII British plane flick inspired the trench run sequence in Star Wars.

5. This dystopic film lights up the screen with its emphasis on free thinking. The composer has collaborated with Hitchcock.

6. The title character was imprisoned by her cousin for 19 years.

7. An explosive Leone spaghetti western. If someone throws an explosive at you, you _ _ _ _.

8. An Italian-born horror composer known for his lush melodies does justice to this Italian film.

9. The film featured a mobster’s moll and starred the director’s wife at the time. The composer has scored films about boxing and kids playing baseball.

10. The composer has scored films about an American cop with an attitude, memorable one-liners, and a big gun. The film is set in post-WWII Italy.

11. The source novel for this film was inspired by a medieval epic poem.

12. This Japanese composer has collaborated with the comedian/actor/writer/director on several films. The score is from the director's first English language film.

13. Humans and non-humans are searching for Earth in this re-imagined TV series.

14. A companion is tragically separated in this incarnation of a popular sci-fi TV show.

15. The follow-up effort to this film was banned from shooting in Rome.

16. A young girl’s imagination leads to tragedy or immortality? You decide. The score was nominated for an Oscar.

17. Two childhood friends who share a love for a particular hobby are torn apart by a lie. The film is based on a bestselling book.

18. This contemporary classical composer has works featuring Dawn Upshaw, including a Grammy Award winning opera album. Part of the title on the cover is upside down.

Bonus 1: A samurai is ordered to capture a rebel fugitive who is a friend and former training partner. The Japanese composer is known for his electronic classical works. He was inspired by Wendy Carlos early in his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    Cool! Will give this a shot in a couple of days.
    I like the fact that the clips are just the right length-- about 30-45 seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    Several interesting choices. punk I'm curious what the answers will be.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    The clips starting with #11 are much easier since they are from 1990s-2007, although #18 is an underrated gem and probably hasn't been heard much.
  1. My guesses are in. This is the first time I've tried one of these, and I'm certain my score will be the worst smile It was fun, though. Thanks, zirael, for putting it together. I think the clip that I enjoyed the most was probably number 3. I'll look forward to seeing what that was and hope that it's not oop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008 edited
    I've updated the hints (Sept. 12) since the first half of the clips are tougher. There's no shame in using a search engine. wink

Current scores Sept. 11:
    Christopher has put in a fantastic effort utilizing the hints. Demetris also has a respectable first entry - second place is probably the highest he's ever been!

Christopher 16 points wave
    Christodoulides 10 points shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008 edited
    Current scores Sept. 12:

Bregje joins the fun!

Christopher 16 points wave
    Christodoulides 12 points shocked
    Bregje 6 points smile
  2. Keep this game going for a day or two more - I plan to send in some answers later today.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    I've sent mine. Should get 20-22 points.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008 edited
    Sure, I can keep this game going until Tuesday Sept. 16 evening (U.S. time) so more folks have time to enter.

Christopher has been diligently sending in great guesses over the past 2 days and has taken the lead. Plindboe has his first entry and surprises the crowd with 2nd place! The two leaders have to watch out for FalkirkBairn and Bhelpuri, renowned for their deadly accuracy. biggrin

Current scores Sept. 14:

Christopher 29 points cool
    Plindboe 21 points shocked
    Christodoulides 12 points spin
    Bregje 6 points smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    I will be entering soon though I don't think I'll be ousting Christopher from his lofty perch!
  3. Could you keep this game going until tonight?

I didn't get a chance to have a real good listen to the clips again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Falkirkbairn, I'm still accepting guesses!

Does anyone else have a game ready? If not, I can just keep the game running until Sat. Sept. 20 evening.

I'm working Wed. and Thursday evenings without Internet access, which is why I wanted to wrap things up earlier, but since there's more people entering, I can wait until the weekend.
  4. I've sent some guesses - but I don't expect I'll worry the top flight contestants!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Southall makes a perfect debut with all his guesses correct! I don't think his tie with Plindboe will last very long. FalkirkBairn nails some of the tough early clips and has 18 points for his first entry. Very impressive!

The bonus clip must be difficult since no one has guessed it yet. The composer was inspired by Wendy Carlos' electronic music near the beginning of his career.

Current scores Sept. 15:

Christopher 29 points cool
    Plindboe and Southall 21 points wave
    FalkirkBairn 18 points dizzy
    Bregje 6 points smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Will send my guesses when I get home (couple of hours). Nice selections! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Bhelpuri entered the game and devastated the previous scores by guessing the bonus correctly! He's also been the only one to get clip #8, which is probably because he likes this composer too. FalkirkBairn caught up with late night cramming and is tied with Christopher.

Current scores Sept. 16:
    Bhelpuri 37 points punk
    Christopher and FalkirkBairn 29 points crazy
    Plindboe and Southall 21 points wave
    Christodoulides 12 points dizzy
    Bregje 6 points wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    Do you want to end this game now since the Italian Maestro game is apparently ready or do you have any last minute guesses you want to send in?
  5. I'm willing to accept defeat... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    zirael wrote
    Bhelpuri 37 points punk

shocked

This is a tough game with a lot of variety - I didn't expect anyone to do so well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Owsh it.

I forgot to enter! Please let it run until tonight, thanks!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    zirael wrote
    Bhelpuri 37 points punk

shocked

This is a tough game with a lot of variety - I didn't expect anyone to do so well!

He's a beast!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I suspect him of having this gadget that's also on the iPhone, a programme that recognizes music. wink

(Seriously though, we tried some of my film music and it thought for instance the Pirates of the Caribbean was Alexandre Desplat... all the other tries were way off too. But the most stupid Dutch songs it recognized!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Owsh it.

I forgot to enter! Please let it run until tonight, thanks!

Ok Bregt, I'll wait for your answers then close the game since I think some folks are exhausted. wink

Unless someone really ultracompetitive wants to make a last push, I think Bhelpuri is gonna win this one!

I'm eager to see Plindboe and Bhelpuri battle it out on the Italian Maestro game. biggrin

Current scores Sept. 17:
    Bhelpuri 37 points beer
    Christopher and FalkirkBairn 29 points crazy
    Plindboe 22 points cool
    Southall 21 points wave
    Bregje 6 points smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I forgot again. rolleyes slant

Sorry zirael. shame I'm at work so I can't now.
    Go ahead and post the answers!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited
    Bhelpuri is the winner with a perfect score!

Plindboe takes another stab and adds one more point.

Thanks for playing everyone! It was nice of you all to make the effort. smile

Final Scores Sept. 18:
    Bhelpuri 40 points punk
    Christopher and FalkirkBairn 29 points beer
    Plindboe 23 points cool
    Southall 21 points wave
    Bregje 6 points smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited
    Answers:

1. Anne of the Indies – Franz Waxman – Main Title (1951)

2. Farewell to Arms – Mario Nascimbene – Main Title (1957)

3. Le Mepris – Georges Delerue - Camille (1963)

4. 633 Squadron – Ron Goodwin – Main Title (1964)

5. Fahrenheit 451 – Bernard Herrman – The Road (1966)

6. Mary, Queen of Scots – John Barry – Mary’s Theme Reprise (1971)

7. Giu La Testa – Ennio Morricone – Dopo l’esplosion (1971)

8. Corruzione al Palazzodi Giustizia – Pino Donaggio – Tema Di Elena (1971)

9. Gloria – Bill Conti – Bonding (1980)

10. La Pelle – Lalo Schifrin – La Pelle Tema D’Amore (1981)

11. 13th Warrior – Jerry Goldsmith - Exiled (1999)

12. Brother – Joe Hisaishi – Party One Year Later (2001)

13. Battlestar Galactica – Bear McCreary – Shape of Things to Come (2004)

14. Doctor Who – Murray Gold – Doomsday (2005)

15. Da Vinci Code – Hans Zimmer – Chevaliers de Sangreal (2006)

16. Pan’s Labyrinth – Javier Navarrete – Pan’s Labyrinth Lullaby (2006)

17. Kite Runner – Alberto Iglesias – Kite Shop (2007)

18. Youth without Youth – Osvaldo Golijov – Love Lost: Laura (2007)

Bonus: The Hidden Blade (Kakushi Ken: Oni no Tsume) – Isao Tomita – To Seek the New World (2004)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice game, thanks for hosting!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2008
    Great game! There are some cool clips that I plan to explore (the bonus, the Pino...)

Bregje wrote
    I suspect him of having this gadget that's also on the iPhone, a programme that recognizes music. wink

Haha! Perhaps it helps to know a little about zirael's tastes from hanging out at SST, which by the way, is really an awesome place to listen to scores (not just your favorites but also what other folks add to the queue) for free.
  6. zirael wrote
    Bonus: The Hidden Blade (Kakushi Ken: Oni no Tsume) – Isao Tomita – To Seek the New World (2004)

Thanks for reminding me that I have this score!! It was very familiar when I listened to the clip and it wasn't until you gave the answer that I tracked it down...and realised that I had not copied this track (nor the 10-minute opening cue) over to my mp3 player.

That theme played in you clip is such a beautiful - and heartbreaking - theme.