• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    I recently obtained for a very low cost an 8 year old Dell laptop. Primarily it will only be used for recording purposes. However, I would like to get a little more RAM if possible but I'm not sure if it would help. It is a Pentium 3 with a 1GHZ processor, 128 RAM, and the operating system is ME. Can ME run more than 128 and use it or am I spinning the wheels.
    Thomas confused
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    128mb of ram is TOO little for anything Tom.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But around the time of ME, 128mb was common...

There will be a limit though. Google is your friend. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Demetris, remember that this was bought as a recorder.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I guess this is old enough that none of you know the answer to the question?
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    After literally 5 seconds of searching Google... rolleyes

...ME can support up to 1GB RAM. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks. That would speed it up a bit.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hold on: ME may support as much as 1 GB but if this is such an old laptop, it is VERY possible that it won't even be able to CONTAIN that much RAM. We may face hardware restrictions rather than software ones.

Tom, if you can tell us the type and/or make, I may be able to find out more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Martijn wrote
    Hold on: ME may support as much as 1 GB but if this is such an old laptop, it is VERY possible that it won't even be able to CONTAIN that much RAM. We may face hardware restrictions rather than software ones.

Tom, if you can tell us the type and/or make, I may be able to find out more.

You have to know what type and with what frequency RAM your motherboard supports.

It's pretty common to have 4 GB now and according to Moore's Law in 2021 desktop computes will have 1 terybate of RAM and 1 petabyte of disc space. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You need to know what type of RAM you already have, the frequency and how much your laptop can physically hold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is an Inspiron Dell 4000 Model
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    You'll probably have a big problem then as Dell manufacture their own RAM, and I don't know if they still make 128mb sticks. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    The best thing for me to try and do is find one that say has a burned out LCD screen and get the RAM and battery out of it.
    Thomas smile